Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Also I am waiting to see how it will works for fully vaccinated adults traveling with unvaccinated kids (under 12). Hopefully it is going to be the same as in France, kids follow parent's (or guardian) rules, with no regards to their vaccination status.
I'm very much hoping this too. My kids haven't seen their grandparents in over two years so it would be a wonderful summer treat to go back to Canada, and all of the adults in the family will be fully vaccinated by next week... Fingers crossed.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
so in other words - this change will not affect many Canadians living in Canada until at the earliest late summer.
I'm waiting to see how will it work for Canadians vaccinated in other countries.
LETTERBOY, jlisi984, gei and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
This is a welcomed change... especially with 2 work trips needed in July, and unhappy family thinking about how quarantine would work... again.

Kids angle will be interesting, I have a lot of Canadian friends (with kids) who live in the US and want to come home to the cottage for the Summer, this could make it a lot more viable.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Also I am waiting to see how it will works for fully vaccinated adults traveling with unvaccinated kids (under 12). Hopefully it is going to be the same as in France, kids follow parent's (or guardian) rules, with no regards to their vaccination status.
I was going to mention that as well. Given the way the Feds have approached this, I would expect them to require the children to at least quarantine at home.

Also I wonder how the policy would change come Christmas, by which time Pfizer may well receive authorization for ages below 12. I have no intention of having my kids, ages 4 and 8, vaccinated for covid (we do flu shots every year, travel shots when going dodgy places, etc. but not sure this one is necessary).
mhodge likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
I'm waiting to see how will it work for Canadians vaccinated in other countries.
I can see them only allowing Canada certificates at first, and perhaps US. Would be the smart way of doing this. As we all know, in some places you can buy any piece of paper without anyone's ability to verify anything.

Either way, good riddance jails!
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan
It just needs to be a vaccine approved by Health Canada. You don't need to have been vaccinated in Canada. What will likely happen is that you will need to upload your vaccination document in the ArriveCAN app before arrival.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SE
CBC reports: "Sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity said the government has a multi-step plan to lift border restrictions and will start to reveal some of the phases at a news conference at 12 p.m. ET."

If anyone finds a link to that news conference, please share it here.
EmailKid and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by TheCanuckian; Jun 9, 2021 at 9:26 am Reason: Add URL
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
CBC reports: "Sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity said the government has a multi-step plan to lift border restrictions and will start to reveal some of the phases at a news conference at 12 p.m. ET."

If anyone finds a link to that news conference, please share it here.
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1906938435519
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
I guess the question is - why would they be excluded? I have 30,000 Canadians here who are desperate to get back to Canada. Our Ambassador is changing in the summer and if the travel rules were not relaxed by the time they got here we were basically all going to protest their arrival and tell them not to bother showing up until the rules were relaxed!!!!

I'm done now - shot 2 last week - - Switzerland has no 14 day wait . . . . so all good to go now.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I was going to mention that as well. Given the way the Feds have approached this, I would expect them to require the children to at least quarantine at home.

Also I wonder how the policy would change come Christmas, by which time Pfizer may well receive authorization for ages below 12. I have no intention of having my kids, ages 4 and 8, vaccinated for covid (we do flu shots every year, travel shots when going dodgy places, etc. but not sure this one is necessary).
the current rules - including hotel quarantine - are not applicable to certain minors - and so we would expect it would apply to them. Most jurisdictions have thresholds of either 12 or 16 for exemptions depending on which vaccines they have in their country and what they currently can vaccinate.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I guess the question is - why would they be excluded? I have 30,000 Canadians here who are desperate to get back to Canada. Our Ambassador is changing in the summer and if the travel rules were not relaxed by the time they got here we were basically all going to protest their arrival and tell them not to bother showing up until the rules were relaxed!!!!

I'm done now - shot 2 last week - - Switzerland has no 14 day wait . . . . so all good to go now.
If there's a hold-up, I expect it would be related to every country having its own form of proof. In the US, for example, the proof is just a little hand-written card that would be extremely easy to duplicate.
zrh2yvr and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:50 am

If there's a hold-up, I expect it would be related to every country having its own form of proof. In the US, for example, the proof is just a little hand-written card that would be extremely easy to duplicate.
Let's wait for the announcement. I would expect there will be some minor clarity there - as if they are about to announce - they have to have a plan. I feel it could be July for start date because at least here in europe the proof of vaccines will all be available under the European standard by end of June. What is unclear is how the US/Canada will do it where there does not appear to be as clear of a registry. So - let's not speculate and wait for the end of the day to see where this goes.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
the current rules - including hotel quarantine - are not applicable to certain minors - and so we would expect it would apply to them. Most jurisdictions have thresholds of either 12 or 16 for exemptions depending on which vaccines they have in their country and what they currently can vaccinate.
I think the hotel quarantine exemption currently applies only to unaccompanied minors. It would make sense to exempt children who are travelling with vaccinated adults but I just don't trust the people currently in charge to do the logical thing.

And the age threshold vaccination is what I am concerned about. It will change to include younger children in a few months. If they were given a free pass now, I hope they will then as well if they are not vaccinated despite being eligible.
mhodge likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:54 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
As well as an entry in EMR (at least for me and those who got their shots at a place that has Electronic Medical Records).
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:24 am

Removal of hotel and 14 day quarantine for fully vaccinated Canadians

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hot...XzMH1TFVWNcjIg

Big changes early July.

"The federal government is expected to announce today that fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents crossing the border into Canada will not have to self-isolate for 14 days if they have a negative COVID-19 test, CBC News has learned.

Sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity said the government has a multi-step plan to lift border restrictions and will start to reveal some of the phases at a news conference at 12 p.m. ET.
Starting in early July as part of Phase 1, fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents will have to take a test upon entering the country and isolate at home until results are back. If the test is negative they will not have to keep isolating, said the sources."

This was all confirmed during the press conference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.