Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My last sticker said PHAC on it, so it would take a LITTLE more effort than a $10 Amazon order
capedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:34 pm

"Suitable Quarantine Plan"

Hi All,

I am from the UK, hoping that after Sept 7th I'll be able to come and visit Canada on vacation. My wife and I are fully vaccinated. I'm currently very confused about the 'Suitable Quarantine Plan' requirements that we'll apparently be asked about on arrival. It seems that we need to be able to provide an address where we'll be able to stay for 14 days after arrival if required to do so. Has anyone already been through this experience and can share detail on what is needed?

I've seen examples of some people booking a refundable hotel and then cancelling on arrival - that can't be good for the local hospitality industry?

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:46 pm

Just give the address of where you will be staying. It is not a big deal. In the very rare chance you are asked to take a covid test upon entry to Canada AND it comes back positive they need to know where you plan on staying.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:51 pm

I've read that you have to submit the quarantine plan, including accommodation address (in our case it would be a hotel) in the ArriveCAN app too?

My main issue with this is that we're visiting on vacation and doing a road trip, so we are not planning to stay in one place for two weeks - i.e. our first hotel in Vancouver will just be booked for 2 nights, not the required 14?

I wondered whether it would be acceptable in the plan to just say that if told to quarantine, at that point we would then book a hotel for the 14 days - but not actually have a booking in place.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by bazjones
I've read that you have to submit the quarantine plan, including accommodation address (in our case it would be a hotel) in the ArriveCAN app too?

My main issue with this is that we're visiting on vacation and doing a road trip, so we are not planning to stay in one place for two weeks - i.e. our first hotel in Vancouver will just be booked for 2 nights, not the required 14?

I wondered whether it would be acceptable in the plan to just say that if told to quarantine, at that point we would then book a hotel for the 14 days - but not actually have a booking in place.
The ArriveCan app requires an address. Give the hotel address in Vancouver. Nothing else.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:01 pm

Is it allowed to TRANSIT in Canada?

I’m planning to fly EU-CAN-US.

what is required to make that happen? Connection time is about 2 hours.

Would I need to recheck my bag in Canada?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Is it allowed to TRANSIT in Canada?

I’m planning to fly EU-CAN-US.

what is required to make that happen? Connection time is about 2 hours.

Would I need to recheck my bag in Canada?
It depends on your trip details. For example, if you’re connecting with Air Canada through YYZ or WestJet/AC at YYC, you won’t need to clear immigration and can transit. From early September, you enter Canada if you’re vaccinated and can travel on any itinerary.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:23 pm

I have a 2 hour connection at YVR coming up, coming from the US and on to YEG. Since I’d have to pass customs, and then through security again, I’m a little concerned since I understand the customs lines can be very hit or miss (don’t have Nexus). I have checked luggage too, which seems like I’m gonna have to collect and check in again. Does 2 hours even sound doable? Would AC potentially delay the YEG flight or allow me to take the next one same day if it comes to that?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
While the current federal election is on I wouldn't expect any rule entry changes in the coming weeks as it'd instantly become a major political issue however by the same token for the governing Liberals to be seen to be doing nothing in the face of a new virus wave carries plenty of potential political peril and they may feel forced by circumstance to act. Case counts are rising in provinces which have relaxed previous virus protocols and should that steady upward trend sadly continue for another 3 weeks, an entry rule re-evaluation would become inevitable.

MHO is to delay confirming anything for another few weeks unless you're completely fine with having the cost of any ticket converted into a credit for future use. If you can book a fully refundable fare or redeem an award which can easily be cancelled and the miles/points redeposited with little or no fee I'd opt for those routes instead.
What do you guys think about the September 7 opening? Are things still moving in that direction? I'm asking, because I booked an Eco Flex ticket for September 10 and I noticed that they added September 7 to the tool "Find out if you can enter Canada" at travel.gc.ca

If you select that you will arrive on September 7 or later and are fully vaccinated, it results in "likely allowed to enter Canada".
esledo and JournoFlyer like this.

Last edited by gondorion; Aug 25, 2021 at 3:57 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:17 am

ArriveCAN app and EU digital certificate

Proof of vaccination is required via the ArriveCAN app at least 72 hours before boarding your flight to Canada. Instructions say you have to upload a file for each vaccine. Great, but the EU digital Covid vaccination certificate - at least those produced in Germany - are printed out on a large piece of paper, and you're meant to fold it twice for portability.

Also good - but when you lay it out flat to take a photo of it, half the information is upside-down.

Is this going to pose a problem? I know you're supposed to take all physical copies of proof of vaccination with you anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by airbin
Proof of vaccination is required via the ArriveCAN app at least 72 hours before boarding your flight to Canada. Instructions say you have to upload a file for each vaccine. Great, but the EU digital Covid vaccination certificate - at least those produced in Germany - are printed out on a large piece of paper, and you're meant to fold it twice for portability.

Also good - but when you lay it out flat to take a photo of it, half the information is upside-down.

Is this going to pose a problem? I know you're supposed to take all physical copies of proof of vaccination with you anyway.
No, this is not a problem.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:40 am

I doubt that Canada will accept the printed version of the digital EU certificate. Same goes for the digital one. They would need to download the verification app in order to check the vaccination status.

To be on the safe side I will upload a photo of the relevant pages of the yellow international vaccination passport: front page and vaccination page. This document is accepted internationally.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:41 am
Suspended

My wife did this last week with no problem.
boeder likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The ArriveCan app requires an address. Give the hotel address in Vancouver. Nothing else.
We are flying flying to YHZ with change of plane in YUL. I presume we’ll go through customs in YUL. Should we put in a hotel address in Montreal or Halifax? Just provide the address, no actual booking? Thank you.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Itravel54
We are flying flying to YHZ with change of plane in YUL. I presume we’ll go through customs in YUL. Should we put in a hotel address in Montreal or Halifax? Just provide the address, no actual booking? Thank you.
You'll go through immigration in Montreal. The address you provide is the one where you'll be staying [during your potential quarantine, ie your plan.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.