Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA GfL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Fly Monday on BA from CDG via LHR to LAX and with a second ticket tuesday morning from LAX via DFW to YVR.
I knew of the random arrival testing, but now read that a result can take one week ?
Is that still the case ?
Are there any other test options I can do, if I need to take an arrival test ?
Any tests I can book at another test facility to get a result much faster ?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by klaus79856
Fly Monday on BA from CDG via LHR to LAX and with a second ticket tuesday morning from LAX via DFW to YVR.
I knew of the random arrival testing, but now read that a result can take one week ?
Is that still the case ?
Are there any other test options I can do, if I need to take an arrival test ?
Any tests I can book at another test facility to get a result much faster ?
1.Yes, there is no set time for results to come back, one day or one week, you'll never know. As a foreigner your quarantine until results come back plan will be scrutinized.
2. I believe after 4 (or 5) days you can pay for a private test if you havent received results. There is no getting out of this early.

Enforcement is another story.
klaus79856 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by J. Leslie
CUN-YYC. Arrive and get ‘randomly selected’. Third time in three. Proceed through baggage and CBSA exit. Find the testing folks ar the end of the line. Tell them, politely, to p*ss off. Proceed to parking lot. Arrive home. Bottom line: don’t play their COVID Theatre. In case anyone is wondering, I’m triple vaxxed
While many may disagree with this airport testing COVID theatre (I do) it is federal law — and you broke it.

Exercise caution. When you were flagged for the test by CBSA’s system when clearing Customs, that testing flag was tied to your passport number. That’s the control number that they use to link travellers to tests.

They know you skipped the mandatory test, and they know who you are. Whether they follow up with some sort of an enforcement action — for your sake, keep your fingers crossed.

This may still come back to haunt you … especially if you are (or hope to become) a NEXUS member. NEXUS and Global Entry both have zero tolerance rules for border infractions — regardless of whether the traveller thought they were just or unjust.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
While many may disagree with this airport testing COVID theatre (I do) it is federal law — and you broke it.

Exercise caution. When you were flagged for the test by CBSA’s system when clearing Customs, that testing flag was tied to your passport number. That’s the control number that they use to link travellers to tests.

They know you skipped the mandatory test, and they know who you are. Whether they follow up with some sort of an enforcement action — for your sake, keep your fingers crossed.

This may still come back to haunt you … especially if you are (or hope to become) a NEXUS member. NEXUS and Global Entry both have zero tolerance rules for border infractions — regardless of whether the traveller thought they were just or unjust.
I disagree. Nexus is tied to immigration and customs infractions neither of which was committed by OP. CBSA enforces customs and immigration. PHAC enforces covid restrictions. I drive back and forth very frequently and have been given 3 random tests over the past 4 months that I never did. The 3 blue boxes are still sitting on my desk. No one has ever mentioned a thing.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I disagree. Nexus is tied to immigration and customs infractions neither of which was committed by OP. CBSA enforces customs and immigration. PHAC enforces covid restrictions. I drive back and forth very frequently and have been given 3 random tests over the past 4 months that I never did. The 3 blue boxes are still sitting on my desk. No one has ever mentioned a thing.
Can confirm the same. Double vaxxed, have 8 boxes at home which I collected over the past months (some Dynacare and Switch Health) Never did any and never heard back about it. Walked thru the testing area three time after getting flagged for a test recently. Once in Toronto and twice in Montreal. Testing staff don't feel too keen in enforcing it anymore.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
It doesn't seem particularily wise to be posting about blatantly breaking federal law, even if you think you're anonymous (you are less so than you think) or that it won't be followed up on. As noted above, never underestimate how stuff can come back to haunt you.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:14 am
ec1

Any updates on time for results at YYC? How "random" is the randomised testing? 1 in 5, 1 in 10, 1 in 100?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan AA

I think there's some dispute about whether this is a 'federal law' or some hastily cobbled-together, panicked response to the latest variant. In any event, I've been through CBSA at YYC twice more since early December when I first posted that. No concerns whatsoever. No one said a thing. I think I'm good.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:33 am

Hi everyone, I am struggling to find an answer to this: if selected for testing on arrival, is one allowed to leave Canada before the test result comes back? I recall some posts suggested this was the case, but I cannot find them any more. I think the answer is "yes" (same as in the UK), but if someone could point me to something official in this regard, it would be greatly appreciated.

The reason for my question is that I need to get to Canada for a short meeting. I would then proceed on to another country with a flight less than 24 hours later. I am prepared to take the risk of missing the meeting in case I get selected for testing on arrival and I need to quarantine, but due to time constraints I cannot be in the situation of being prevented from leaving Canada (and my hotel room) until the result comes back...

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig
Hi everyone, I am struggling to find an answer to this: if selected for testing on arrival, is one allowed to leave Canada before the test result comes back? I recall some posts suggested this was the case, but I cannot find them any more. I think the answer is "yes" (same as in the UK), but if someone could point me to something official in this regard, it would be greatly appreciated.

The reason for my question is that I need to get to Canada for a short meeting. I would then proceed on to another country with a flight less than 24 hours later. I am prepared to take the risk of missing the meeting in case I get selected for testing on arrival and I need to quarantine, but due to time constraints I cannot be in the situation of being prevented from leaving Canada (and my hotel room) until the result comes back...

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
You can always exit Canada at any time. They are focused on protecting Cdn residents from catching covid from travellers. Once you leave Canada you are no longer a covid risk.
flying_pig likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by D404
It doesn't seem particularily wise to be posting about blatantly breaking federal law, even if you think you're anonymous (you are less so than you think) or that it won't be followed up on. As noted above, never underestimate how stuff can come back to haunt you.
I think they have slightly bigger fish to fry in Ottawa these days.
LETTERBOY and _billy_ like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by J. Leslie
I think there's some dispute about whether this is a 'federal law' or some hastily cobbled-together, panicked response to the latest variant. In any event, I've been through CBSA at YYC twice more since early December when I first posted that. No concerns whatsoever. No one said a thing. I think I'm good.
They've implemented the border measures under the federal Quarantine Act and various "Emergency Measures" -- which absolutely have the force of law. While the measures might be hastily-cobbled together and panicked, it absolutely is law.

The fact that they're not fining people immediately when they skip mandatory testing does not meant that they won't enforce in the future.

And I wouldn't be so sure that future NEXUS renewals won't be jeopardized ... simply because someone is violating the Quarantine Act rather than the Customs Act.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You can always exit Canada at any time. They are focused on protecting Cdn residents from catching covid from travellers. Once you leave Canada you are no longer a covid risk.
Thank you sydneyracquelle! Would you or anyone else have any link to written legislation around this? I just want to make sure I am covering all angles as I am a little paranoid on being caught doing something that contravenes the regulations. It seems to be the same as the UK, where one is always able to stop quarantine/isolation for the purpose of leaving the country. This is well documented in the paperwork in UK, but have not been able to find this online yet for Canada.

...and if anyone has any recent experiences of the percentage of passengers selected for arrival testing in YVR, that would also be interesting to know. It is hard to decipher the real situation, with some news outlets reporting testing close to 100% of arrivals, but anecdotal evidence from friends and colleagues suggesting it's much less. I will be coming from the US, but would have been to other countries in the days prior so from what I read flying from US doesn't really help.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan AA

They've implemented the border measures under the federal Quarantine Act and various "Emergency Measures" -- which absolutely have the force of law. While the measures might be hastily-cobbled together and panicked, it absolutely is law.
Happy to be a scofflaw, then. Like I said previously, not worried in the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.