Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:08 pm

Thank you. Just a bit worried, the US based agents may not be aware that Canadians are allowed back regardless of their vaccination status. I read a couple of reports that the gate agent was checking vaccination cards before boarding.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Absolute chaos right now at YYZ.

Gates D51-D57, flex gates used for transborder and domestic flights, aren't being released for domestic usage because of overflow from transborder passengers awaiting entry into Canada. This, and the general backlog at the border with pax stuck in line for houts has caused virtually every flight operating out of the airport since 19:00 (current time 21:41) to be delayed.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:49 pm

Can anyone confirm transit rules? I’m coming across some conflicting info regarding international to international transit in Canada. This page: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ictions/border, makes it seem that vaccinated travelers can transit through Canada (my case would be US-Canada-Schengen) without having to take the 72 hour Covid Test. But I’m seeing conflicting info on other government and Air Canada web pages.

Despite an Air Canada routing being much more beneficial to us, I booked Lufthansa flights using AeroPlan ex-USA to Europe to avoid the testing. If these testing requirements were indeed dropped, I plan to call in AeroPlan to make the award change, but like I mentioned above, there seems to be conflicting info. We are vaccinated.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Can anyone confirm transit rules? I’m coming across some conflicting info regarding international to international transit in Canada. This page: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ictions/border, makes it seem that vaccinated travelers can transit through Canada (my case would be US-Canada-Schengen) without having to take the 72 hour Covid Test. But I’m seeing conflicting info on other government and Air Canada web pages.

Despite an Air Canada routing being much more beneficial to us, I booked Lufthansa flights using AeroPlan ex-USA to Europe to avoid the testing. If these testing requirements were indeed dropped, I plan to call in AeroPlan to make the award change, but like I mentioned above, there seems to be conflicting info. We are vaccinated.
You don't need vaccination or even a test for ITI transit. Or at least you didn't when I did it in early July (before the 5th).
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
YUL connection report

Recently flew from US to YUL then onwards to YHZ. Fully vaccinated in the US.
1. NEXUS kiosks save time compared to longer passport entry lines. It took me about 45 minutes to get from deplaning to gate of domestic connection. The biggest bottleneck was the line after NEXUS kiosks because crew/diplomats/mobility-challenged also use these CBSA booths (and seem to have priority). It didn't matter if you put passport info into ArriveCAN then used the NEXUS kiosk.
2. Air Canada gate agents in US only checked for negative molecular test results (checked specifically for when test was taken). Did not check vaccination status nor ArriveCAN.
3. No arrival (day 1) testing unless randomly selected for fully vaccinated arriving pax, I confirmed this with PHAC booth since I had registered with Biron and didn't end up going.
4. At exit of YHZ, they were offering take-home rapid antigen tests. No reporting needed but good for peace of mind. Atlantic Canada checks for vaccination status at airport exit; they were familiar with CDC vaccination cards.
ctbarron likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by gnof
Flying into Canada and am wondering about NEXUS vs passport to put into ArriveCAN.

If I put in my passport info for ArriveCAN, can I still use the NEXUS kiosks when I enter? If I do, does this screw anything up with ArriveCAN?
YMMV, but when I entered Canada by air a few weeks back I entered passport information into the app but then used NEXUS on arrival - and to boot the name on my wife's passport and ArriveCan submission didn't match her NEXUS card. CBSA Agent didn't give us any hassle at all.​​
Old Aug 19, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
Hello all,

We are less than three weeks away from the *intended* date of reopening to international, non-US travelers (September 7th).

I'd like to book flights to Canada (ex-EU) in October but I'm wondering whether I should go ahead or wait for a little bit longer. What is the usual process here: are we expecting the government to issue another statement which would confirm/postpone that reopening date?

I know the initial statement said this date would only go ahead if the epidemiological situation remains favorable, and that the delta variant is currently on the rise. Enough to threaten the reopening?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old Aug 19, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
Hello all,

We are less than three weeks away from the *intended* date of reopening to international, non-US travelers (September 7th).

I'd like to book flights to Canada (ex-EU) in October but I'm wondering whether I should go ahead or wait for a little bit longer. What is the usual process here: are we expecting the government to issue another statement which would confirm/postpone that reopening date?

I know the initial statement said this date would only go ahead if the epidemiological situation remains favorable, and that the delta variant is currently on the rise. Enough to threaten the reopening?

They could delay the opening and even if it opens as expected on Sept 7th, it could close again at anytime without notice. So my suggestion is to book as soon as you can and cancel if anything happens... almost all airlines tickets are fully transferable to a voucher you can use later. If you wait for the best time to come it may be in a while...
(Obviously if you travel during the pandemic you should be ready to unexpected events like rules changing and delay a flight in case you get a positive test...)
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
Hello all,

While the current federal election is on I wouldn't expect any rule entry changes in the coming weeks as it'd instantly become a major political issue however by the same token for the governing Liberals to be seen to be doing nothing in the face of a new virus wave carries plenty of potential political peril and they may feel forced by circumstance to act. Case counts are rising in provinces which have relaxed previous virus protocols and should that steady upward trend sadly continue for another 3 weeks, an entry rule re-evaluation would become inevitable.

MHO is to delay confirming anything for another few weeks unless you're completely fine with having the cost of any ticket converted into a credit for future use. If you can book a fully refundable fare or redeem an award which can easily be cancelled and the miles/points redeposited with little or no fee I'd opt for those routes instead.
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Asking for a friend - can arrivecan app be used by an unmarried and non common law couple on the same declaration? Reading through the website, it’s a bit unclear - it says up to 8 travellers can be on the same declaration, but then it specifically says that you can add more than one person if you are married, common law, dependent, child, etc. No mention of if you are just boyfriend/girlfriend. Friend has already added her boyfriend on the same declaration on arrivecan so just want to know if maybe he should do his own…. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by lily23
Asking for a friend - can arrivecan app be used by an unmarried and non common law couple on the same declaration? Reading through the website, it’s a bit unclear - it says up to 8 travellers can be on the same declaration, but then it specifically says that you can add more than one person if you are married, common law, dependent, child, etc. No mention of if you are just boyfriend/girlfriend. Friend has already added her boyfriend on the same declaration on arrivecan so just want to know if maybe he should do his own…. Thanks in advance!
Most relevant is are they staying at the same address if randomly selected for a day 1 covid test to quarantine if it is positive. Before covid you completed the declaration separately if you resided at a different address.
lily23 likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Aug 23, 2021 at 5:21 am
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:08 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by lily23
We had two visitors who are non-related and merely friends. They used the same ArriveCan without trouble. As another commenter said, the important thing seems to be that they are going to the same address.
lily23 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: Mileage plus
What does the color of the sticker the CBSA officer puts on your passport means?

fully vaxxed, quarantine exempted.

got a green sticker on my way back from MEX a few weeks ago. Got a blue one today on my way back from CDG.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax
What does the color of the sticker the CBSA officer puts on your passport means?

fully vaxxed, quarantine exempted.

got a green sticker on my way back from MEX a few weeks ago. Got a blue one today on my way back from CDG.
I'm guessing they rotate colours every day to avoid people
gaming the system gaming the system
Old Aug 23, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: Mileage plus
Originally Posted by capedreamer
I'm guessing they rotate colours every day to avoid people gaming the system.
yes, would make sense!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.