Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Update: despite the verbiage on the travel.gc.ca website, I entered Canada 14 days after my vaccine and it went smoothly, no quarantine required, no questions asked. I don't know why the website implies it's 15 days when all other communications say it's 14 days.

In YYZ they did not even ask to see the original of my vaccine certificate. They were more interested about how much cash I was carrying, just like in the good old days.
Now try crossing the land border 72 hours and one minute after your covid test😊
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by quinzinho
Since the proof of vaccination has to be in English or French, I'd like to confirm whether anyone knows if the Dutch yellow booklet is accepted. It's quite a basic booklet and the legend is both in Dutch and English. Then it has two simple Pfizer stamps with dates and a signature. Would that suffice, or should there be details of the vaccine batch number and name (Comirnaty)? Those last 2 are not in the booklet but only on a different paper which is mostly in Dutch.
My Canadian vaccine proof doesn’t even have the batch numbers on so I don’t see it being a problem.
OSSYULYYZ and quinzinho like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:46 am

As a follow up to my return, my covid test results, from the Biron lab test done at YUL, took 30 hours to arrive. Not bad at all. Surprised the testing is still free to be honest.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 6:30 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Now try crossing the land border 72 hours and one minute after your covid test😊
That one, I will not attempt I am not finding conflicting info about it (unlike the 14 vs 15 day rule for vaccine) so odds are not so good LOL
Old Aug 1, 2021, 6:36 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I did the self covid test from Switchhealth on the day of arrival, then I was told to put the covid test in the fridge until Purolator home pick-up. I had three options to schedule the Purolator pick-up, the earliest was 3 days later, and the last was 5 days later. That plus the time to process the covid test itself, it makes the whole thing close to worthless. It's nice that Purolator collects money from the government and provides such a speedy collection service, 5 days after the test!?
Old Aug 1, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Recovering AA Exec Plat
American coming from third country?

This is perhaps a niche question, but I am going to be coming back to the U.S. from a short trip to the UK on Sept 2nd and am looking to stop over for a weekend in Montreal on the way back. As an American I know that the Canada border will be open to us, but does anyone know if that just applies to folks coming directly from the US or does it not matter where you're arriving from as long as you're a (vaxxed) US citizen?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 1, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by deveras
This is perhaps a niche question, but I am going to be coming back to the U.S. from a short trip to the UK on Sept 2nd and am looking to stop over for a weekend in Montreal on the way back. As an American I know that the Canada border will be open to us, but does anyone know if that just applies to folks coming directly from the US or does it not matter where you're arriving from as long as you're a (vaxxed) US citizen?

Thanks in advance!
In the press release, it says you must be entering from the US.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...nts-of-th.html

Discretionary travellers include:
  • Fully vaccinated American citizens or permanent residents who reside in the U.S., and are entering from the U.S. for discretionary (non-essential) travel (starting on August 9, 2021);
Old Aug 1, 2021, 3:20 pm

DELETED
jackmaninov likes this.

Last edited by deveras; Aug 1, 2021 at 3:25 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Aug 1, 2021, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
In the press release, it says you must be entering from the US.

Discretionary travellers include:
  • Fully vaccinated American citizens or permanent residents who reside in the U.S., and are entering from the U.S. for discretionary (non-essential) travel (starting on August 9, 2021);
Thank you! I didn't see the press release, but rather just saw the language on the website about the changes which doesn't seem to include that detail.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...da-border.html

Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PM
Canada reopening

According to Scott's Cheap Flights, Canada is reopening as of this coming Saturday (8/7/21) for vaccinated Americans. While a negative Covid test is required to get back to the USA by air, this does NOT apply for crossing land borders!
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
According to Scott's Cheap Flights, Canada is reopening as of this coming Saturday (8/7/21) for vaccinated Americans. While a negative Covid test is required to get back to the USA by air, this does NOT apply for crossing land borders!
August 9. To fully vaccinated American citizens or permanent residents who reside in the U.S., and are entering from the U.S. You must have two doses of one of the four vaccines (or a combination) approved by Canada (Pfizer, Moderna, AZ or one of J&J) more than 14 days prior to entering.

Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:14 am

Unvaxxed arrivals

Does anyone know what it looks like for unvaxxed cdn travellers coming back into Canada from intl. Are we allowed to quarantine at home? What needs to be done prior to arrival?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Nearly six months after starting this thread, and after nearly six months away from home, I finally returned home last Thursday (well, specifically I landed in Canada on Thursday).

FRA YUL YYC

FRA-YUL was 1h delayed leaving, waiting for connecting passengers; flight was boarded by bus in FRA (ugh) possibly due to aircraft arrival as a cargo-only flight. We gained some time flying, so we were slightly over 30 minutes late on the gate in Montreal. Concierge was waiting for us in jetbridge. There were many flights that had arrived at the same time, but we didn't have to wait on the aircraft nor before customs hall. NEXUS machines did not work (second time in YUL with this issue, not sure why) so we had to go to standard kiosks. Some waiting but not terrible, in the meantime I did notice that the top was backed up and they weren't letting people down. Officer inspected vaccination records (given that the EU Passport doesn't show date of first dose, I downloaded 1st and 2nd dose documents from the e-health portal) and the Covid test.

Baggage delivery was a huge mess, most people from the flight had not been processed through immigration, so the belt got stuck, priority bags were far from first, etc. By this time it was T-20 to our YYC departure, so we knew we had missed it. Line to exit customs was through the entire YUL baggage hall (that's a VERY long line), NEXUS was still to the right. Officers did ask whether we had NEXUS and why we didn't use it (different receipt printout, obviously), but didn't protest further. Then we got the connection test kit, went to concierge office to rebook (for the next day) and got vouchers for the Marriott in-terminal. Quite hilarious we were staying at the same Marriott that would have cost us 1500 CAD for the one-night stay a few weeks earlier. Did the "at-home" tests at the Marriott, decided on Uber for pickup as I thought that would be easier than Purolator to the hotel (plenty of experience with missed courier deliveries, etc.) but it then turned out Uber does not pick up packages at the airport (who knew?). We were going into town anyways, so I took the tests with me. Tried to order Uber pickup in town and it wanted to charge me the $50 for delivery. Resigned, I walked to a Purolator store where I was told they did not accept these boxes, that they're not allowed to and I'm "not supposed to be there". Not sure what that was about. Finally I figured out that with my Uber profile set to "business" it wasn't applying the voucher, but it worked on personal. Got the results back two days later.
YUL was a disaster the next morning, a huge lineup to wait for the aggravating & pointless temperature check before security, no priority/NEXUS. Crowds everywhere. Terrible service on YUL-YYC to top it off, but I was home after six months.
BTW I'm also getting the ArriveCAN symptom notifications/emails, which I'm ignoring. I will also get to test out leaving and possibly re-entering Canada within the initial 14 day period. Wish me luck.

Last edited by jlisi984; Aug 2, 2021 at 5:43 pm
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC-SE, IHG Ambassador, National Executive, LHW
Good luck to you! If I may ask you for a detail, when the CBSA officer at YUL checked your EU Covid certificate, did he or she asked to see proof of both dates or you just had them ready just in case they would ask? I am flying in from LIS next Monday. The Health portal on the web only prints out Portuguese language but the SNS24 app can be put in English. in the app I can show live to anybody both vaccine dates. Hope this will be sufficient if asked for the first vaccine date. Bom noite
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
So here is a question

Assuming you were out of the country less than 14 days ago. I have to go to the US. The Shoppers Antigen test asks if you have been out of the country less than 14 days. Say Yes, they won't administer the test. So how does one border hop (if need be, for work) in this new world?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.