Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So if the ski resorts were open for skiing in BC right now, a fully vaccinated US skier would be able to fly from the US to YVR with proof of US vaccination and a sub-72-hour PCR test? Antigen tests still not accepted, right?
Correct. Antigen test can be used to fly back to USA after the ski trip but must have a negative PCR test to enter Canada.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by freeflyer
??
Yes, because when you type "YYZ", the Cargo entry shows up first and you need to type more letters or scroll down a bunch to get to T1 and T2 (they're not even 2nd and 3rd in line). Clearly bad UI / UX.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Correct. Antigen test can be used to fly back to USA after the ski trip but must have a negative PCR test to enter Canada.
Not quite. A molecular test is required, which includes PCR, and excludes antigen, but it's not exclusively PCR. NAAT is also acceptable, and frequently available for cheaper than a PCR test.
GUWonder and Finkface like this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Not quite. A molecular test is required, which includes PCR, and excludes antigen, but it's not exclusively PCR. NAAT is also acceptable, and frequently available for cheaper than a PCR test.
Correct, you can get a 15 minute molecular NAAT.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:25 am

When flying into YUL a few fridays ago (9/10) the process was really smooth for us. No arrival test was done - it looked like they had all the facilities for it but it was unstaffed for that day. No color coded stickers like yyz either, though this makes sense as yul is much less busy than yyz.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It says NAAT tests are acceptable but does that extend to rapid NAATs?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nayef
It says NAAT tests are acceptable but does that extend to rapid NAATs?
No issues with a rapid NAAT entering Canada.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Yes, because when you type "YYZ", the Cargo entry shows up first and you need to type more letters or scroll down a bunch to get to T1 and T2 (they're not even 2nd and 3rd in line). Clearly bad UI / UX.
Sigh... UX means what exactly? I know the rest since they're travel related but it would have have been more clear if you had typed the words(s) you meant instead of people searching UX and trying to figure out your meaning...
Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
User Interface or User Experience. IOW poorly built ArriveCAN app.
LETTERBOY and capedreamer like this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by freeflyer
Sigh... UX means what exactly? I know the rest since they're travel related but it would have have been more clear if you had typed the words(s) you meant instead of people searching UX and trying to figure out your meaning...
Sorry:

Originally Posted by tcook052
User Interface or User Experience. IOW poorly built ArriveCAN app.
And before you ask, IOW = In Other Words.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by seawolf
No issues with a rapid NAAT entering Canada.
Where in the US can you get rapid NAAT? Is that what the ID NOW test is? Clearly the PCR test with it's up to 72 hrs turnaround won't work.

Edited: I just answered my own question - yes, the ID NOW test at Walgreens is NAAT - turn around time is usually a few hours.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mlbcard
Where in the US can you get rapid NAAT? Is that what the ID NOW test is? Clearly the PCR test with it's up to 72 hrs turnaround won't work.

Edited: I just answered my own question - yes, the ID NOW test at Walgreens is NAAT - turn around time is usually a few hours.
How much is it though?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
At Walgreens and CVS, they're free. They may charge your insurance, but it'll be fully covered. If you don't have insurance, it should also be covered. Last time at Walgreens, they didn't even ask for my insurance info (and I don't think I was in their system). However, random covid tents or airport locations charge. Maybe someone else knows the actual rules, but I'd stick to well-known drug stores.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mlbcard
At Walgreens and CVS, they're free. They may charge your insurance, but it'll be fully covered. If you don't have insurance, it should also be covered. Last time at Walgreens, they didn't even ask for my insurance info (and I don't think I was in their system). However, random covid tents or airport locations charge. Maybe someone else knows the actual rules, but I'd stick to well-known drug stores.
except not all locations have them. I’ve checked with Walgreens, but they don’t seem to do Rapid tests in my area.

on the other hand, testing in the US should also be free at other testing clinics as well. I don’t know the official rules either, but here in the Bay Area we have City Health clinics, which do drive through PCR tests for free. They aren’t rapid, but they quote a return results time of 30 hours - but we’ve used them and had results in ~12 hours. I’m not clear how long CVS/Walgreens take, but when Ive looked, had much more trouble getting appointments.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody knows the test rules for transit passengers to 3rd country?

From the government site it seems as long as you stay in the transit area you are exempt from pre-departure test, and certainly no arrival test required.

I try to call AC to get an answer but the wait time is horrendous and the call eventually is disconnected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.