Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:06 pm

All they want to see is that you have an address where you could quarantine. So put the hotel down where you will stay the first night. Obviously if you actually had to quarantine you would quickly work out a plan, or they would put you in a quarantine hotel. It really is a formality, as entry testing is currently random, and the only other test will be before you fly back to the UK.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Whats this business with needing to upload proof of covid test 6 hours before the flight? How do I strategize tests and flights to be able to do that?
Old Aug 28, 2021, 5:01 am

Don't know where you get the 6 hours from.

You need to take a test in the 72 hours prior to the scheduled departure time of your last leg with a destination in Canada. Most airports have test centers that guarantee a PCR-test result in 24h, 12h, etc. The shorter the processing time, the higher the cost for the test.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Nayef
Whats this business with needing to upload proof of covid test 6 hours before the flight? How do I strategize tests and flights to be able to do that?
I have been back and forth between USA and Canada and no such rule I am aware of. I simply manually show the officer my negative covid test. It is not uploaded to ArriveCan.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I have been back and forth between USA and Canada and no such rule I am aware of. I simply manually show the officer my negative covid test. It is not uploaded to ArriveCan.
The official instructions are at Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada - Canada.ca

If you find that you don't need to follow them because people aren't doing their job properly then great for you but it is a bad idea to post in a public forum advising people that they shouldn't need to do something that the government agency is requiring in their official guidance.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:45 am

I was referring to this part that was related to me by a friend, and I reckon we both misread it and misunderstood it (neither of us native speakers of English):

3. Get your COVID-19 test document validated before getting to the airport

During online check-in, upload your test result document, or use your camera equipped mobile or tablet to scan the QR Code provided on your test results when prompted to get it validated. Taking advantage of this option will help speed up your airport process.

Note that this may not be available on all routes.

You can upload your document or scan your QR code when check‑in opens 24 hours before your flight, and up to 6 hours before your flight.
But from this we understood that if the result comes out less than 6 hours before the flight, then it cant be uploaded. Also, both my friend and I are US citizens and not Canadians. Dont know if that changes things in terms of that particular requirement being overlooked or what.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Nayef
I was referring to this part that was related to me by a friend, and I reckon we both misread it and misunderstood it (neither of us native speakers of English):

But from this we understood that if the result comes out less than 6 hours before the flight, then it cant be uploaded. Also, both my friend and I are US citizens and not Canadians. Dont know if that changes things in terms of that particular requirement being overlooked or what.
This looks like an airline document upload request rather than ArriveCAN. Can you confirm where this instruction came from?
Old Aug 28, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by M_at
This looks like an airline document upload request rather than ArriveCAN. Can you confirm where this instruction came from?
Im waiting for him to confirm this, but I think he said it was an email from Air Canada. No idea if the upload reference is for the Air Canada app or ArriveCAN. Presumably the former.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by M_at
The official instructions are at Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada - Canada.ca

If you find that you don't need to follow them because people aren't doing their job properly then great for you but it is a bad idea to post in a public forum advising people that they shouldn't need to do something that the government agency is requiring in their official guidance.
ArriveCan does not ask for uploading of covid test result although your particular airline might - independent of ArriveCan.
airoli likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
AC offers this "document validation" service which is entirely voluntary and allows for uploading of a PCR test. ArriveCAN however neither requires nor allows the uploading of a PCR test.

For my recent AC FRA-YUL flight, I uploaded the pdf version of my EU vaccination certificate into ArriveCAN, and it was validated within minutes (status goes to I). At FRA departure gate, my ArriveCAN status was checked but not my PCR test. I did not use the AC validation service.

At YUL, border agent wanted to see my PCR test but not my ArriveCAN - I assume scanning my passport already showed him the relevant info.
Nayef likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:30 am

Thank you all for clarifying.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro
Dear all

Does anyone have a rough estimation about the % that are requested to do an on arrival test? are this a handful of people on every flight or more like every 2nd person?

I am fully vaccinated and I will need to do a PCR Test before entering CAN anyways, but still I am always a little bit scared of on-arrival tests as there is still a very slight chance that a) the test will be false-positive or b) that you really have gotten it somehow within the last 72 hours (even though you are vaccinated). And this would mean that you need to quarantine for 14 days in Canada without a possibility to go back home, even if a test should be negative afterwards, right?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Swissairasia
Does anyone have a rough estimation about the % that are requested to do an on arrival test?
The % is risk-adjusted based on where you are travelling from and what the Covid situation at orgin and/or along the route is. Plus probably a bunch of other factors. None of which are public.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Originally Posted by Swissairasia
Dear all

Does anyone have a rough estimation about the % that are requested to do an on arrival test? are this a handful of people on every flight or more like every 2nd person?

I am fully vaccinated and I will need to do a PCR Test before entering CAN anyways, but still I am always a little bit scared of on-arrival tests as there is still a very slight chance that a) the test will be false-positive or b) that you really have gotten it somehow within the last 72 hours (even though you are vaccinated). And this would mean that you need to quarantine for 14 days in Canada without a possibility to go back home, even if a test should be negative afterwards, right?
A close friend of mine got selected who flew directly HKG-YVR and was fully vaccinated. So I think it's really a toss up...
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro
Thanks for your replies. Fully understand that it's a random selection and I am aware of this. My question was more: Based on your experience of your flights to Canada, how many % of the arriving passengers were tested...

For example, when I entered Usbekistan in May, the rules also stated that there could be random tests at the airport. In fact however: EVERYONE got tested once I arrived there. Then Ecuador last December: All arriving passengers needed to go into a room where the PCR-Certificates were checked and approx. every 10th person (randomly selected) needed to additionally do an on-arrival test in a seperate room.

I know it is not possible to give exact numbers, but just a broad estimation would be helpful (and how the process works...). So if you are saying that it depends on the origin of your flight: Are the guys who pick you for the tests waiting directly at the gate so that they know from where you were heading in?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.