Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
But what about transit? As in, say you're flying XXX-CAI-YYZ, what does that count as? and what about the opposite case, YYZ-CAI-XXX but return a completely different route? Not quite clear if this is a flight ban (as was with India, Pakistan, Morocco) or just extra measures?
In my opinion these rules can go one of two ways - either it'll be worldwide by the end of December again (yay, let's get people to stay home and not travel over Xmas - politicians goal it appears) or it'll all be scrapped around the same time. Partially dependant, of course, on the awaited announcements by the vaccine manufacturers and doctors re: transmissibility, vaccines, mortality (probably too early to tell), etc.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
These restrictions are a joke and this government is a joke. This would be better (I guess) if the tests took a few hours to turn around, but given that they're likely using Switch Health (beyond useless), it'll take a few days. Beyond that, what kind of logic suggests that mixing families in the same, non ventilated hall as anti-vaxxers is a good idea, especially with most kids being unvax/one dose?

Ridiculous.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by yyztozag
These restrictions are a joke and this government is a joke. This would be better (I guess) if the tests took a few hours to turn around, but given that they're likely using Switch Health (beyond useless), it'll take a few days. Beyond that, what kind of logic suggests that mixing families in the same, non ventilated hall as anti-vaxxers is a good idea, especially with most kids being unvax/one dose?

Ridiculous.
Does the US exemption make any scientific sense or is it politics?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I personally think it is because they can’t handle the volume.
zrh2yvr and yyztozag like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by quandide
So 2 days from now I am returning to YYC from CUN. If all this circus takes effect before that, I will just change the direct flight to one with a simple connection in IAD (enough choice!). It will add 3h to the trip but it will exempt me from arrival testing and isolating for an undetermined period of time. Where is the rationale in that?
I'm flying from Mexico to YYC next week and connecting to my final destination. I called Canada Border Services (1-800-461-9999) to ask if I could make the connection after taking a PCR test on arrival. They advised that the new Omicron travel restrictions only apply to people that been in one of the listed countries in Africa in the last 14-days. They do not apply to travelers from Mexico or anywhere else. No PCR test on arrival (unless randomly selected), and no need to isolate until test results are ready.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by MrDebt
I'm flying from Mexico to YYC next week and connecting to my final destination. I called Canada Border Services (1-800-461-9999) to ask if I could make the connection after taking a PCR test on arrival. They advised that the new Omicron travel restrictions only apply to people that been in one of the listed countries in Africa in the last 14-days. They do not apply to travelers from Mexico or anywhere else. No PCR test on arrival (unless randomly selected), and no need to isolate until test results are ready.
That’s certainly not what was announced yesterday.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:40 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
That’s certainly not what was announced yesterday.
You and CBSA are both correct. CBSA correctly explained the *current* restrictions. The announcement to which you are referring pertains to restrictions to be implemented in the near future and which are not yet in effect.
EmailKid and bambinomartino like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:42 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by illico
I personally think it is because they can’t handle the volume.
Another explanation could be the desire to create a travel bubble within US/Canada.
jackmaninov and yyztozag like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
doesnt make sense to me. Full disclosure: dual US/Canadiancitizen here - formally Canadian resident now US resident.

Before today, I think most assumed that the new variant was in the US, just hadn’t been confirmed yet, so maybe that was part of it? With the confirmation of the first US case in CA this morning, think this has even less justification, but what do I know? Maybe it will change at some point?

Originally Posted by txp
You and CBSA are both correct. CBSA correctly explained the *current* restrictions. The announcement to which you are referring pertains to restrictions to be implemented in the near future and which are not yet in effect.
press release seems to say testing for all (except those arriving from the US) will begin ‘in the coming days’. My read is when they get the logistics involved sorted out, which to do properly does take a bit of time - planning staffing, lab capacity, more supplies, etc. Plus, when the on arrival testing was required for all, only 4 airports were accepting international arrivals - there are more now (though not certain how many of those additional airports actually have international flights flying to them at this time).

The poster who mentioned arriving next week - those procedures might start by then, or maybe not yet. I’m sure the government would start immediately if they could. If they can by next week, they probably will.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
doesnt make sense to me. Full disclosure: dual US/Canadiancitizen here - formally Canadian resident now US resident.

Before today, I think most assumed that the new variant was in the US, just hadn’t been confirmed yet, so maybe that was part of it? With the confirmation of the first US case in CA this morning, think this has even less justification, but what do I know? Maybe it will change at some point?

press release seems to say testing for all (except those arriving from the US) will begin ‘in the coming days’. My read is when they get the logistics involved sorted out, which to do properly does take a bit of time - planning staffing, lab capacity, more supplies, etc. Plus, when the on arrival testing was required for all, only 4 airports were accepting international arrivals - there are more now (though not certain how many of those additional airports actually have international flights flying to them at this time).

The poster who mentioned arriving next week - those procedures might start by then, or maybe not yet. I’m sure the government would start immediately if they could. If they can by next week, they probably will.
They are probably going to direct flights to the same 4 airports except from the US. By the way if it take two weeks to be implemented it will probably be useless... Could even make things worse if that allow everyone to come back quickly to avoid the 2 days in isolation.
They could just implement rapid PCR (like ID Now) and test when people deplane and the time they leave the airport they would know if they are positive or negative.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
They are probably going to direct flights to the same 4 airports except from the US. By the way if it take two weeks to be implemented it will probably be useless... Could even make things worse if that allow everyone to come back quickly to avoid the 2 days in isolation.
They could just implement rapid PCR (like ID Now) and test when people deplane and the time they leave the airport they would know if they are positive or negative.
Land borders would be completely clogged with visiting Americans and returning Canadians if they implemented this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE
Today the Globe and Mail is reporting this: "Travellers arriving in Canada from countries other than the United States can expect to isolate for as many as three days while they wait for their COVID-19 test results, part of Ottawa’s evolving strategy to slow the spread of the Omicron variant."

Also, "Mr. Duclos said travellers will either be tested at the airport or given one to take at home in isolation." Presumably depending upon whether they are arriving or connecting or perhaps depending upon the particular airport.

Then, "He said the expected 'service standard' to receive a test result is three days, but at the moment the majority of tests come back in a day. That could change, he cautioned, as the government increases the number of travellers being tested by more than 50 per cent. 'Depending on local circumstances, that could take longer than what has been seen in the recent weeks and months,' he said." In other words, be prepared for growing pains.

Answering a question that has also been asked in these forums, "The government said the on-arrival test and isolation rule will apply to all travellers who have been in a country other than the U.S. in the past 14 days – even if they arrive in Canada via the U.S." So you can't get around the rules by flying into the U.S., then driving into Canada.
knotseh and bambinomartino like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
So back to hotel prison except this time you can get cheaper non governmental rates
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
They are probably going to direct flights to the same 4 airports except from the US.
Can't see that Canada going back to only those restricted entry points though very little surprises me anymore.

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Then, "He said the expected 'service standard' to receive a test result is three days, but at the moment the majority of tests come back in a day. That could change, he cautioned, as the government increases the number of travellers being tested by more than 50 per cent.

And I'd wager most of those heading to PVR or CUN won't be easily put off by an arrival test and 24-hour stay home rule but pray it isn't 3-days as that duration is far more likely to change many travelers minds.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Can't see that Canada going back to only those restricted entry points though very little surprises me anymore.

And I'd wager most of those heading to PVR or CUN won't be easily put off by an arrival test and 24-hour stay home rule but pray it isn't 3-days as that duration is far more likely to change many travelers minds.
Connecting within Canada is the big issue. People can wait at home but they won’t wait and pay at a YYZ hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.