Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Confusion about ArriveCAN

I am flying Philadelphia-Toronto-Halifax on Oct. 2, less than 72 hours from now. I just filled out and successfully submitted the ArriveCAN form, and received an email confirming "Your application has been completed and all the required information has been received." I'm confused about a few matters:

1. After submitting the form, it occurred to me that it did not request my proof of a negative Covid test. I'm getting that test in an hour. Is the (presumably negative) result something I simply bring with me, separate from ArriveCAN ?
2. The ArriveCAN email says that if I wish to communicate with the system, I should include my transaction ID. But it does not provide any transaction ID. Is it actually my passport number?
3. Assuming approval from ArriveCAN, an appropriate negative COVID test and of course my passport, am I good to go for my travel to Halifax?

Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I am flying Philadelphia-Toronto-Halifax on Oct. 2, less than 72 hours from now. I just filled out and successfully submitted the ArriveCAN form, and received an email confirming "Your application has been completed and all the required information has been received." I'm confused about a few matters:

1. After submitting the form, it occurred to me that it did not request my proof of a negative Covid test. I'm getting that test in an hour. Is the (presumably negative) result something I simply bring with me, separate from ArriveCAN ?
2. The ArriveCAN email says that if I wish to communicate with the system, I should include my transaction ID. But it does not provide any transaction ID. Is it actually my passport number?
3. Assuming approval from ArriveCAN, an appropriate negative COVID test and of course my passport, am I good to go for my travel to Halifax?

Thanks for any help.

Just bring your covid test results with you, you will be asked at check in, and at immigration in Canada. I used the app last week and noticed that was a change since I last used it.

Yes, as long as you are vaxxed, tested and have your passport, you will be good to get on your domestic flight.
seawolf likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks!
If you don't have a negative Covid test, the airline will deny boarding your flight to Canada. Showing your test results on your mobile device is when you arrive is sufficient.

James
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:22 am

ArriveCan app can be completed up to 72 hours before arrival. PCR test is maximum 72 hours before flight departure/land border arrival and results can take 48+ hours so covid test result is reviewed separately from ArriveCAN app which is more focused on vaccination proof. There is a unique 6-digit ID assigned to you once you complete the ArriveCAN app.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
ArriveCan app can be completed up to 72 hours before arrival.
Your choice of wording is a bit ambiguous, but it's clear on Canada.ca:
You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.
In other words, there would be no problem to complete ArriveCAN 12h before the arrival in Canada with the results of a PCR test.
However, as has been said in this thread, ArriveCAN does not ask for or support uploading PCR tests results.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by airoli
Your choice of wording is a bit ambiguous, but it's clear on Canada.ca:

In other words, there would be no problem to complete ArriveCAN 12h before the arrival in Canada with the results of a PCR test.
However, as has been said in this thread, ArriveCAN does not ask for or support uploading PCR tests results.
ArriveCAN can be completed between 1 minute and 72 hours prior to arrival at a land border and between 2 and 72 hours prior to flight departure into Canada as the airline will check to make sure it is completed. A Cdn citizen need not be vaccinated to enter Canada or board a plane to Canada but it gets you out of quarantining.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: as
Data point USA-CANADA-USA

Not frequent poster, but....heres a data point for testing to get into Canada from USA and back to USA from Canada.

US citizen and resident. Went to BC for vacay with my wife.

Paid $90/person September 14 for pcr test to go to Canada. Air Canada. No problems getting into Canada...BUT we were both randomly tested in Vancouver when we landed. Allowed to go into Vancouver post test. Results came less than 24 hours later.

For return, before we had left USA, we purchased SIX eMed test kits and brought with us. Total cost delivered overnight for six tests: $180. I.e. $30/test. To be clear, these were purchased and delivered to our home in USA. Brought with us to Canada explicitly for return to USA use.

Tested two days before flight back home to USA. Air Canada flight on Sept. 29. Accepted and no problems.

Last edited by Freeebieman; Sep 30, 2021 at 11:09 am
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Hey everyone, looking for a bit of clarification on re-entry.

Canadian citizen, fully vaccinated travelling with a 12 year old who is also fully vaccinated.

Will be returning to Canada after a trip to SFO but will need to connect in YVR before proceeding to YYC. We will have our negative PCR tests done in SFO but I'm unsure if YVR will require on arrival testing. When we last came back from JFK to YYC via ATL in August, we were pleasantly surprised to find out that on arrival testing was based on random selection rather than all passengers but I am unsure if that is an Alberta specific rule or Canada wide now.

Our connection in YVR is 2.5 hours so I am unsure if we have enough time to clear customs and do an on-arrival test ... can anyone shed some light please?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Will be returning to Canada after a trip to SFO but will need to connect in YVR before proceeding to YYC. We will have our negative PCR tests done in SFO but I'm unsure if YVR will require on arrival testing. When we last came back from JFK to YYC via ATL in August, we were pleasantly surprised to find out that on arrival testing was based on random selection rather than all passengers but I am unsure if that is an Alberta specific rule or Canada wide now.
Canada-wide. You'll only be tested if you're randomly selected.

Our connection in YVR is 2.5 hours so I am unsure if we have enough time to clear customs and do an on-arrival test ... can anyone shed some light please?
Should be plenty of time even if you get selected. Fingers crossed that you won't!
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Canada-wide. You'll only be tested if you're randomly selected.

Should be plenty of time even if you get selected. Fingers crossed that you won't!
Thank you so much!
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hey everyone, looking for a bit of clarification on re-entry.

Canadian citizen, fully vaccinated travelling with a 12 year old who is also fully vaccinated.

I have been up 6 times since the rules changed. Never saw anyone randomly tested but even if you (and/or child) are selected it will take only 5-10 minutes.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 2:07 pm

Quarantine Plan

Flying into Toronto as a tourist, fully vaccinated. I understand all entry requirements except the quarantine plan. What are people putting down in the plan in my situation.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Carolineflyer
Flying into Toronto as a tourist, fully vaccinated. I understand all entry requirements except the quarantine plan. What are people putting down in the plan in my situation.
You need to put down any address in case you randomly test positive. I just put down a dummy hotel. Obviously if you test positive you would immediately drive back to USA.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Quick question please -
Planning trip to Phuket Thailand. Routing of NYC->YUL->LHR->HKT

According to Canadian Website -
"If transiting through to another country by airTravellers who are transiting through Canada to another country (and aren't leaving the secure area at the airport) don't need to submit their information through ArriveCAN.
Can someone confirm that the above itinerary allows me to stay inside secure area of transport, so no formalities required to transit? I assume so, but I do not know YUL well enough, so want to be sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.