Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Youponder
Those rapid tests are not accepted by Canada. PCR only. Can take several days for results.

also, see post above which appears to show they have relaxed the requirements of the test being administered in the US.
The Abbott ID Now rapid test (result in 15 minutes) is a PCR test and is accepted for entry into Canada. I flew in for 24 hours last week and used the Abbott test, which I took in PDX that morning, for entry to Canada (and for re-entry back to the US the following day). It clearly says PCR on the result and the CBSA officer looked specifically for that designation.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Finkface
The Abbott ID Now rapid test (result in 15 minutes) is a PCR test and is accepted for entry into Canada. I flew in for 24 hours last week and used the Abbott test, which I took in PDX that morning, for entry to Canada (and for re-entry back to the US the following day). It clearly says PCR on the result and the CBSA officer looked specifically for that designation.
That is a game changer. Those are cheap and easy to find in the US.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
That's good to know it's recognized as a valid test. I think there's often some confusion between that test and the "rapid antigen" test, which is completely different and not recognized for travel purposes.

Out of curiosity, did you need to notify anyone that you were leaving Canada before your quarantine period was over? The government website doesn't make it clear if that's a requirement.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
That's good to know it's recognized as a valid test. I think there's often some confusion between that test and the "rapid antigen" test, which is completely different and not recognized for travel purposes.

Out of curiosity, did you need to notify anyone that you were leaving Canada before your quarantine period was over? The government website doesn't make it clear if that's a requirement.
They definitely don’t make it easy to find. However it is on the official page and yes, I did email them. I have done it before as well and it doesn’t make a bit of difference. The first time, I even phoned them as well as emailed but I still kept getting calls and emails for wellness checks. This time, I was called the day after I left and I explained that I was no longer in Canada. She said she would update the file but it didn’t help and I still got called.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

If you leave Canada during the 14-day period

You may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:

Give notice that you have left Canada

Travellers will need to update their quarantine information, or else you will continue to receive compliance calls and check-ins.

You can do so by sending an email to: [email protected]. You must provide your:
  • full name
  • date of birth
  • date of entry
Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:25 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
We are going to have full details next week about the quarantine hotel program. But until then, consider this:
  • The $2000 figure is simply based on an off-the-hand comment by Trudeau. Officially, the current line from the Crown is that you will need to pay for the accommodation and test and you can expect to pay more than market rates. I believe what Trudeau meant was "up to $2000" but he misspoke.
  • There are currently three lawsuits challenging the hotels on constitutional grounds.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
If US based test before crossing border is now not required, the media outlets are certainly not making that distinction. Global News refers to test being taken in US. How is the public supposed to have their ducks in a row when one has to go the actual Order in Council to determine what is true. Print the Order in Council and keep it with your passport and keep checking for amendments that are surely to come.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:29 am

They definitely don’t make it easy to find. However it is on the official page and yes, I did email them. I have done it before as well and it doesn’t make a bit of difference. The first time, I even phoned them as well as emailed but I still kept getting calls and emails for wellness checks. This time, I was called the day after I left and I explained that I was no longer in Canada. She said she would update the file but it didn’t help and I still got called.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

If you leave Canada during the 14-day period

You may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:

Give notice that you have left Canada

Travellers will need to update their quarantine information, or else you will continue to receive compliance calls and check-ins.

You can do so by sending an email to: [email protected]. You must provide your:
  • full name
  • date of birth
  • date of entry
Appears one can only leave by land border as website states:

You are encouraged to use a private vehicle to depart Canada. You will not be allowed to board a flight if you are currently under a quarantine order.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by mileageking
Appears one can only leave by land border as website states:
I have taken many flights from Canada to USA while under quarantine after visiting Canada for 1-4 days. No one ever asks, knows or cares. One is always free to exit Canada at any time. I check in online, go through security and US Customs and board the flight. I have never advised Canada. I still get recorded phone calls and emails until day 14 but I just ignore them.

What if someone is a Cdn citizen living anywhere in the world outside of Canada or USA and visits Canada for a nonessential purpose for a few days? This person has no US status and therefore cannot enter USA by land from Canada. Therefore this person must fly to exit Canada. Why would this person be forced to stay in Canada for 14 days against their will? Makes no sense.
jackmaninov likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Feb 17, 2021 at 6:33 am
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by testycal
If US based test before crossing border is now not required, the media outlets are certainly not making that distinction. Global News refers to test being taken in US. How is the public supposed to have their ducks in a row when one has to go the actual Order in Council to determine what is true. Print the Order in Council and keep it with your passport and keep checking for amendments that are surely to come.
ducks <> row
Old Feb 17, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
What if someone is a Cdn citizen living anywhere in the world outside of Canada or USA and visits Canada for a nonessential purpose for a few days? This person has no US status and therefore cannot enter USA by land from Canada. Therefore this person must fly to exit Canada.
That would be me. My experience is exactly what sydneyracquelle said - no problems boarding a flight leaving Canada. I have an email reply from CBSA confirming that this is allowed. I carry it but never needed to show it.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by airoli
That would be me. My experience is exactly what sydneyracquelle said - no problems boarding a flight leaving Canada. I have an email reply from CBSA confirming that this is allowed. I carry it but never needed to show it.
How would they know, anyway? We don't have exit customs in Canada.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:29 am

An official announcement is imminent as this law firm seems to have pointers on the new rules:

https://www.mondaq.com/canada/govern...ntine-measures

3 days hotel stay

• Prior to travel to Canada, a government-approved hotel must be reserved in the first Canadian city of arrival for a period of 3 days;
  • Travellers must stay at the government-approved hotel for at least 3 days – waiting for the COVID-19 test results;
  • Costs of the hotel stay must be covered by the traveler (up to CA $2,000):
    • Hotels will be able to adjust billing should a traveler receive their negative result in a period shorter than 3 days;

FWIW's the current turnaround time for a test in BC is 15 hours https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...9e3cda29297ded. This means its going to be a 1 night stay for most.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by smes
An official announcement is imminent as this law firm seems to have pointers on the new rules:

https://www.mondaq.com/canada/govern...ntine-measures

3 days hotel stay

• Prior to travel to Canada, a government-approved hotel must be reserved in the first Canadian city of arrival for a period of 3 days;
  • Travellers must stay at the government-approved hotel for at least 3 days – waiting for the COVID-19 test results;
  • Costs of the hotel stay must be covered by the traveler (up to CA $2,000):
    • Hotels will be able to adjust billing should a traveler receive their negative result in a period shorter than 3 days;

FWIW's the current turnaround time for a test in BC is 15 hours https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...9e3cda29297ded. This means its going to be a 1 night stay for most.
I may have typed this already but the Order In council is actually worded in a way that implies it is only 2 nights (because day 1 or 3 is the day you arrive).

" . . . . evidence of prepaid accommodation that enables the person to remain in quarantine at a government-authorized accommodation for a three-day period that begins on the day on which they enter Canada, and".

When you look at this - the day one is the day you arrive - so day 3 is 2 days after you arrive. I suppose you have to book 3 nights because you may end up with an issue with timing of connecting flights (i.e. arrive very late on day 1 - get results too late on Day 3 to leave on last flight out). I think the number of people who require 3 full nights will be rare - - but then you get into the concept of "late checkout" . Maybe the site for booking (which opens tomorrow) will ask for flight details and hour of arrival.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I may have typed this already but the Order In council is actually worded in a way that implies it is only 2 nights (because day 1 or 3 is the day you arrive).

" . . . . evidence of prepaid accommodation that enables the person to remain in quarantine at a government-authorized accommodation for a three-day period that begins on the day on which they enter Canada, and".

When you look at this - the day one is the day you arrive - so day 3 is 2 days after you arrive. I suppose you have to book 3 nights because you may end up with an issue with timing of connecting flights (i.e. arrive very late on day 1 - get results too late on Day 3 to leave on last flight out). I think the number of people who require 3 full nights will be rare - - but then you get into the concept of "late checkout" . Maybe the site for booking (which opens tomorrow) will ask for flight details and hour of arrival.

Regardless, we should be working hard to make sure the messaging that this hotel quarantine does not cost $2000 but only UP TO $2000 is head loud and clear. The media is doing a terrible job at this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by smes
Regardless, we should be working hard to make sure the messaging that this hotel quarantine does not cost $2000 but only UP TO $2000 is head loud and clear. The media is doing a terrible job at this.
...per person as multiple meals and covid tests are not free. Hotels need to be compensated for the difference between 1 and a family of 4 stuck in a room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.