Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
The test is going to be taken at the airport. There are already test taken at the airport at YYZ and YUL and it may also be the case at YYC and YVR.
As for the hotel, you will have to prepay or otherwise they won't let your board. Sure, you can drive directly to your home but you won't get your money back and the hotel will certainly alert PHAC who can alert the local police...
How will they prove that you have pre-paid? Would be very easy to photoshop something together. Some gate agent abroad isn't going to be able to verify the specifics. I also don't see them integrating this into ArriveCAN. Way too complicated.

If you are quarantining and have already done a test I'm not sure what the police are going to do. Maybe give you a ticket? With the three lawsuits that are before the court right now I don't see this lasting very long.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
The test is going to be taken at the airport. There are already test taken at the airport at YYZ and YUL and it may also be the case at YYC and YVR.
As for the hotel, you will have to prepay or otherwise they won't let your board. Sure, you can drive directly to your home but you won't get your money back and the hotel will certainly alert PHAC who can alert the local police...
But if you are exempt from the hotel jail, then you do not and can not book and prepay. And according to what mapleloaf was told, s/he does not have to prebook a hotel because s/he is exempt and the CBSA officer will review his paperwork on arrival. So how will mapleloaf prove that to the airline before s/he boards? Ergo, I suspect it will not be up to the airline as how would they know if someone was exempt? Take their word for it? Anyone could say that and even believe they are exempt, only for CBSA to deny the exemption. Then what? And if they deny boarding to a truly exempt person? What a cluster.

Plus, if it can only be booked over the phone, what proof does one have?

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I just talked to someone at the COVID hotline (1-833-784-4397). Previously they had no helpful information for me, but tonight they confirmed that in our case where we are travelling to the US for a clinical trial for my son, that we do NOT need to pre-book a quarantine hotel. This was what I suspected given the language in the OIC, but the actual procedure of how to go about the exemption was unclear to me. They said a quarantine screening officer when we land in Canada will review the letters and documentation we have and waive us onward to our domestic flight (and then we'll quarantine at home as we have before).

They also stressed that this procedure could change at any time. Luckily we have a couple of weeks before travelling to monitor how things go. I did at one point wonder if we would be required to show a quarantine booking confirmation prior to boarding the flight to Canada -- as of today, it doesn't sound like it, but I could see that changing.
wrp96 and jackmaninov like this.

Last edited by Finkface; Feb 18, 2021 at 7:52 pm
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:50 pm

Sounds a lot cheaper per person for two. Maybe we should start a "quarantine hotel hosting" thread, like the lounge access ones, so we can synchronize travel and split the cost. For $1000 I can be reasonably sociable with random strangers for three days.

FWIW (I called and asked) my uni says they're in 'discussions' to allow international students to serve their internment camp sentence at one of the residences, (presumably for low or no cost to students). I think if this continues through the fall, there will be some pressure to allow this more widely, otherwise the unis will be in arms over the lost international tuition income as foreign students will choose to go elsewhere.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: MR Plat., AC*E
Originally Posted by Finkface
Take their word for it? Anyone could say that and even believe they are exempt, only for CBSA to deny the exemption. Then what? And if they deny boarding to a truly exempt person? What a cluster.
Exactly -- total cluster. Hoping for more clarity on the pre-boarding proof before we have to travel. I can't imagine a GA being expected to rule whether an exemption is legitimate or not. So many ways this can go badly.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
The text on the canadian government website is now (finally) updated. Apparently no link to do booking on your own - have to call Amex Business travel (maybe I can call the platinum desk). Number is as listed above in previous post.

No online booking engine - (no surprise - - this goes with the Ready-Fire-Aim method that the canadians have been doing all year). . . So - now you have to call between 0800-2300 EST (outside of those hours - apparently only for urgent bookings within next 24hrs).

Also - good luck contacting the toll-free number from some parts o the world - they need to provide the +1-416/905 number that anyone could call.

Good luck to everyone . . Price seems to be a bit less than feared but still fairly hefty. Now I wait on hold - hoping to get through.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:53 pm

Is there a BRG being offered?
If the government is charging $400/night and you can see $100/night on the hotel site, there better be some justification.
Bogwoppit and Yul_voyager like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
The text on the canadian government website is now (finally) updated. Apparently no link to do booking on your own - have to call Amex Business travel (maybe I can call the platinum desk). Number is as listed above in previous post.

No online booking engine - (no surprise - - this goes with the Ready-Fire-Aim method that the canadians have been doing all year). . . So - now you have to call between 0800-2300 EST (outside of those hours - apparently only for urgent bookings within next 24hrs).

Also - good luck contacting the toll-free number from some parts o the world - they need to provide the +1-416/905 number that anyone could call.

Good luck to everyone . . Price seems to be a bit less than feared but still fairly hefty. Now I wait on hold - hoping to get through.
HAHAHA Holy ....ing ....! What a cluster-F! My GOD.

All the hotels listed are available to be booked by the general public. They aren't closed down. So what's stopping you from booking via another source? And ordering your own food?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:39 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Just called the Baymont at YUL (identified in a CTV story as one of those hotels). The very nice lady at the front desk informed me that reservations will be through a government website. It was supposed to be up today, but she is hopeful it will be done by tomorrow.

Someone on twitter just said there is a toll free number to call... what a mess.

1 800 294 8253

So, at Vancouver so far it's only the Westin. 525 per night, 650 for two adults (same for 2 adults plus 2 children).

Toronto, 4 choices so far. A couple of Sheratons and a Days Inn I think. $320 per night single, 450-500 double occupancy.

The lady on the phone did not know what happens if test result arrives after the first or second day. So I guess you pay 3 nights.

She also did not know if the cost of the tests is included in these amounts.

How the heck will people be able to call a Canadian toll free number from say... Ethiopia?
Well- Since the Westin in Vancouver is part of a small public company (Wall Financial) we should be reading about the program in their Q report filed after the March quarter. They are a good source for direct info on the market because they are small and you can see through all the details. So - what we want to know (I guess FOI request could get it) is . . . what do the hotels have to pay to GoC? With Westin at 525 and Sheraton at 350 - sounds like Westin is making out pretty good. . . . Anyhow - let's wait until someone posts booking details - I should have mine within 24 hours I hope - I waited 45 mins on hold and phone went dead so I did not get through yet.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:51 am

Does anyone know if you can cancel the booking? Say your flight got cancelled or indeed if you wanted to book the hotel before you secured the flight? Do you have to pay the full amount up front, or just a deposit?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by smes
This program is an absolute joke. I'm expecting minimal compliance for this. What's stopping someone from getting their test, going home, and when PHAC calls say 'Sorry, I'm going to quarantine at home. I don't have money for a hotel'
What happens? You risk being charged, taken into custody and spending your quarantine in far less appealing accommodations than a down-market airport hotel.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Anybody with what "take a test at the border" actually means?

At my cost? Government cost? I am aware testing stations were being set up...ie Peace Arch for example may have this in place while Pacific Crossing early March. Take test and wait for result? Be on one's way to home isolation assuming you have a proper place to go? Is it so hard for the government to fill in the details. My god...the people that work for government could never keep a private sector job.

Last edited by testycal; Feb 19, 2021 at 8:30 am
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
List of approved hotels so far:

Alberta: Calgary International Airport (YYC)
Acclaim Hotel
Marriot Calgary Airport (Walkable)

British Columbia: Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport

Ontario: Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ)
Alt Hotel Pearson Airport (Walkable from Viscount Station)
Four Points by Sheraton
Element Toronto Airport
Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport (Walkable)

Quebec: Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
Aloft Montreal Airport
Crowne Plaza Montreal Airport
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Montreal Airport
Montreal Airport Marriott In-Terminal (Walkable)

Book your hotel
Hotel stopover bookings are managed by American Express Global Business Travel and available by phone only. To book your mandatory 3-night hotel stopover, call 1-800-294-8253. (I also found this alternative number on reddit: 1-613-830-2992)

You'll be able to choose from the listed hotel locations and be required to provide:
  • Traveller name(s)
  • Date(s) of birth
  • Arrival city and date
  • Payment information
  • Special requests and accessibility concerns
  • Pet information
Travellers will receive email confirmation of their accommodation within 4 hours of booking.

Costs of these hotel stopovers may vary by location. The price will include costs associated with the:
  • Food
  • Room
  • Security
  • Transportation
  • Infection prevention and control measures

Random data points from this thread and reddit (may be inaccurate):
Vancouver - Westin Wall Centre - $525/night
Toronto - Four Point Sheraton - $309/night
Toronto - Element Toronto - $345/night
Toronto - Sheraton Gateway - $319/night
dr_torch and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by GateGuardian; Feb 19, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
List of approved hotels so far:

Alberta: Calgary International Airport (YYC)
Acclaim Hotel
Marriot Calgary Airport

British Columbia: Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport

Ontario: Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ)
Alt Hotel Pearson Airport
Four Points by Sheraton and Element Toronto Airport
Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport

Quebec: Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
Aloft Montreal Airport
Crowne Plaza Montreal Airport
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Montreal Airport
Montreal Airport Marriott In-Terminal
If these hotels are not 100% dedicated to incoming 3-day gov’t imprisoned travellers and you find your own transportation there, why can’t I just go online and book a regular room at these places, print it out, immediately cancel the booking and show a printout of my reservation and then get a ride/taxi home??
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If these hotels are not 100% dedicated to incoming 3-day gov’t imprisoned travellers and you find your own transportation there, why can’t I just go online and book a regular room at these places, print it out, immediately cancel the booking and show a printout of my reservation and then get a ride/taxi home??
Probably nothing preventing this. But who will chance it.
There are so few people coming in nowadays, most are exempt anyway as essential or fake essential flying for work, and the govt pays for a lot of the prisoners to be put up in these hotels.

Whats left? Probably less than a 100 people a day at each airport that dont qualify for the above. If the numbers remain low, they will probably have the resources to book everyone by phone, track everyone, and cross reference their list. If the numbers were to increase, this would quickly fall apart just like the voluntary at home quarantine scheme tracking and enforcement did.

The real test will be in the spring when the six months starts running out on the snowbirds.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr

How can you print a confirmation if you book by phone... Do you have to give a email address by phone and they scan the confirmation and send it to you ? Or are they mailing it using Canada Post ? Maybe you need to have a fax number ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.