Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:49 pm

LGA-YYZ earlier this week as a Canadian citizen. Used ArriveCAN to upload my vaccine card. Long line at the gate to verify everyone's proof of vaccine and covid test, since most people had their boarding pass on their phone and didn't check in before security. It was a bit of a mess since the gate agents had a miscommunication and even got into a yelling match. 6am flight, I guess they were a bit grumpy.
Arriving at YYZ - border control people are pretty well aware of the new rules for Canadians. Didn't take much more time than usual customs (I only have GE, don't have NEXUS), they look at your covid test / ArriveCAN app. You're supposed to get a green sticker stating they looked at all your documents, but I never got one. Found out when the typical T1 exit had a staff member checking for the green sticker. Since it wasn't there he told me to take a left, which ended up being the place where people book their quarantine hotels, which btw looked extremely depressing and dingy. The staff there checked my documents again and gave me the green sticker, I exited and proceeded to the right to do the Switch health testing - already filled out registration beforehand which saved some time.
There was a lineup to get all my information checked first, then another short lineup to do the actual test. They had a ton of staff prepared for this. Results came the same day at 11pm (took the test around 8am). I thought it was overall a really smooth process.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by aimango
LGA-YYZ earlier this week as a Canadian citizen. Used ArriveCAN to upload my vaccine card. Long line at the gate to verify everyone's proof of vaccine and covid test, since most people had their boarding pass on their phone and didn't check in before security. It was a bit of a mess since the gate agents had a miscommunication and even got into a yelling match. 6am flight, I guess they were a bit grumpy.
Arriving at YYZ - border control people are pretty well aware of the new rules for Canadians. Didn't take much more time than usual customs (I only have GE, don't have NEXUS), they look at your covid test / ArriveCAN app. You're supposed to get a green sticker stating they looked at all your documents, but I never got one. Found out when the typical T1 exit had a staff member checking for the green sticker. Since it wasn't there he told me to take a left, which ended up being the place where people book their quarantine hotels, which btw looked extremely depressing and dingy. The staff there checked my documents again and gave me the green sticker, I exited and proceeded to the right to do the Switch health testing - already filled out registration beforehand which saved some time.
There was a lineup to get all my information checked first, then another short lineup to do the actual test. They had a ton of staff prepared for this. Results came the same day at 11pm (took the test around 8am). I thought it was overall a really smooth process.
Not sure why LGA checking vaccine status. Non-essential Canadians can still return home with no vaccine and quarantine. Essentials need no vaccine or quarantine. My USA>YYZ flight they checked neither vaccines nor covid tests.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:34 pm

LGA-YYZ earlier this week as a Canadian citizen.

Interesting you were allowed to do the arrival test at the airport - I had to take my switch health kit home. No staff maybe? I was there 7:30pm after spending two hours in customs.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Pretty similar experience. I flew from LGA to YVR via YYZ today. I didn't realize they were checking covid tests prior to boarding so they checked mine at the gate and placed a yellow sticker on my passport. They should have done a better job communicating this or simply not let you generate a boarding pass. It seemed like a quiet time at YYZ when I arrived. They had a separate customs line for transfer passengers, which didn't take long. I asked to be tested at the airport which they allowed. I had preregistered so they were able to locate my account. No line for the actual test. Then off I went to catch my connection. The MLL on the other hand was a zoo... Tons of passengers and very few staff members. Overall, it was a much smoother experience than I had anticipated!
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Not sure why LGA checking vaccine status. Non-essential Canadians can still return home with no vaccine and quarantine. Essentials need no vaccine or quarantine. My USA>YYZ flight they checked neither vaccines nor covid tests.
Yeah, AC was doing it at BOS too when I flew back last week. Didn't want to see the ArriveCan receipt (which is mandatory) but very interested in proof of vaccination (which is not).
Old Aug 7, 2021, 10:23 am

Quick question, I got a V in a red circle on my ArriveCan receipt (I submitted details of my full vaccination). I know I'm being paranoid, but does the red circle mean anything?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus81
Quick question, I got a V in a red circle on my ArriveCan receipt (I submitted details of my full vaccination). I know I'm being paranoid, but does the red circle mean anything?
Last time I got an I for immunized which was smooth sailing upon arrival.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 2:07 pm

Last time I got an I for immunized which was smooth sailing upon arrival.
Thanks, yes, it changed to an "I" now. I was more wondering if the red circle around it meant something.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:52 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
0I tried to find some official source for this but couldn't come up with anything concrete: if things open up as they should on Monday, would fully vaccinated American citizens and permanent residents be allowed to travel into Canada by land or is this only for air travel?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Nayef
0I tried to find some official source for this but couldn't come up with anything concrete: if things open up as they should on Monday, would fully vaccinated American citizens and permanent residents be allowed to travel into Canada by land or is this only for air travel?
Both. Canada never distinguished between land and air arrivals unlike USA. The only difference I can recall is the 72-hour covid test for air is from scheduled departure time vs land is actual arrival at the land border.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Both. Canada never distinguished between land and air arrivals unlike USA. The only difference I can recall is the 72-hour covid test for air is from scheduled departure time vs land is actual arrival at the land border.
huh? Air arrivals had a mandatory stay in a hotel where land arrivals did not.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
huh? Air arrivals had a mandatory stay in a hotel where land arrivals did not.
Never a difference for foreigners who had the same entry rules to Canada whether they arrived by air, sea or land. 3-day hotel stays never applied to non-essential Americans since they could never enter Canada to begin with. USA, on the other hand, always allowed non-essential Canadians at any time by air but, even to date, never by land. And a long delayed flight into Canada won’t matter for 72-hour covid test time out but a long delay into BUF/SEA US border city could be a major problem if covid test times out.
EmailKid and OSSYULYYZ like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Aug 8, 2021 at 3:06 pm
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:02 pm

I'm travelling back to Canada tomorrow, and already submitted my info on ArriveCan. I just received the most non-sensical email from PHAC/ArriveCan. It's saying to ignore it if you've arrived or are arriving tomorrow or later (which is pretty much everyone), and to re-submit using the latest version at midnight EST. Anyone else get this? Perhaps they mean ignore if you're arriving "Before Aug 9"?

----
Subject: New border and travel measures coming soon – resubmit your information in ArriveCAN to comply

Body:
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY ARRIVED IN CANADA, OR ARE ARRIVING ON OR AFTER AUGUST 9, 2021, PLEASE IGNORE THIS MESSAGE.ATTENTION

New rules for travel and quarantine will be in effect in Canada on August 9, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, including some exceptions for unvaccinated dependent children and dependent adults.
...Submitting your information in ArriveCAN is mandatory. If you are eligible to enter Canada after August 9 at 12:01 a.m. EDT and to ensure you meet the requirements mentioned above, you must:
  • Download the latest version of ArriveCAN or click ‘Update’ in the Store if using the app (Apple App Store, Google Play Store), or Sign in online, after August 9 at 12:01 a.m. EDT; and,
  • Resubmit your information using the most up-to-date version of ArriveCAN.
----
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by spartacus81
I'm travelling back to Canada tomorrow, and already submitted my info on ArriveCan. I just received the most non-sensical email from PHAC/ArriveCan. It's saying to ignore it if you've arrived or are arriving tomorrow or later (which is pretty much everyone), and to re-submit using the latest version at midnight EST. Anyone else get this? Perhaps they mean ignore if you're arriving "Before Aug 9"?
No, do NOT ignore if arriving before Aug 9, which is the part that makes sense

Many of us got similar emails when three day quarantine was lifted for arriving Canadians, and most all ignored them.

Probably the same glitch remains. Not sure what the "re-submit using the latest version at midnight EST" means. My guess is that since this only takes a bit of time it would not hurt to just re-submit the info. I do not recall getting that, but the new version was released prior to hotel quarantine going away.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
No, do NOT ignore if arriving before Aug 9, which is the part that makes sense

Many of us got similar emails when three day quarantine was lifted for arriving Canadians, and most all ignored them.

Probably the same glitch remains. Not sure what the "re-submit using the latest version at midnight EST" means. My guess is that since this only takes a bit of time it would not hurt to just re-submit the info. I do not recall getting that, but the new version was released prior to hotel quarantine going away.
But that only leaves it applying to those arriving later today, before midnight. And the instructions in the email are to download a new version at midnight tonight, and resubmit. So none of it makes sense, unless they want people who're arriving today to resubmit ArriveCan tomorrow, once they're already in Canada.

I guess I'll try to resubmit after 6am European time, before my flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.