FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Messages discussing a road trip from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe and then to Los Angeles via PCH have been moved to this thread:
TWA884
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Posts about the July 2016 Monterey County wildfires were moved to a new thread:
As far as I can tell, PCH is open to through traffic (Highway 1 Conditions in Big Sur, California).

TWA884
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:13 am

A recent question and answers discussing staying at the Intercontinental Cannery Row and/or the Hyatt in Carmel were moved to this thread:
TWA884
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:14 am

Pacific Coast Highway Drive- hoping for Muscle Car/Mustang rental

Hi,

Looking for some advice. I'm going to California in September for my honeymoon. We are flying to San Diego and driving up to San Francisco over three weeks.

I'm finding it really difficult to find somewhere who guarantees a Mustang or some sort of American muscle car. I really would like a convertible mustang V8 or Camero etc.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/vehicleguide/index.jsp?targetPage=vehicleGuideHomeView.jsp&coun tryCode=US&category=Adrenaline%20Collection

hertz Adrenaline Collection is the only I can think of right now
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:28 am

Perhaps a private owner via Turo? You will know exactly which car you will be renting.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
You can rent a convertible from almost any company and it will likely be a Mustang or Camaro... but with the base engine. The thing is, for the Pacific Coast Highway that's really enough. Drop the top and enjoy the drive.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
Hi,

Looking for some advice. I'm going to California in September for my honeymoon. We are flying to San Diego and driving up to San Francisco over three weeks.

I'm finding it really difficult to find somewhere who guarantees a Mustang or some sort of American muscle car. I really would like a convertible mustang V8 or Camero etc.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Thanks
Are you talking about Highway 1, the coastal route?

If so, you need power steering much more than a V8. It's not a road for speed or timid drivers.

If you're really looking to put your foot down, the traffic on 101 usually moves much faster than the speed limit. It's straight, mostly flat, with wide lanes but very boring scenery.

Note: I am not advocating breaking the law, merely reporting what I have observed.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'm not too sure about how modern Mustangs compare but the new Camaros have, even with the V-6 engines, as much if not more hp than their V-8 predecessors of the muscle car era '60s. Paired with a multi-speed (more than 3 or 4) transmission, that's all you need.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Driving up the PCH you won't get much opportunity to really use the V-8. You may want to rethink doing it entirely on the PCH also. And also if you're spending time in LA or San Fran think about doing a couple of rentals so that you don't have to pay for parking which can add up. I did the PCH from San Fran to LA and was suck behind a train of RVs with no way to get past them. 3 hours of that will drive you nuts. We even stopped for lunch and caught back up to them.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: *G
a little perspective:
for europeans, the mustang is a bit of a unicorn. in the uk, until this year, it had never been sold. (could be had through imports in wrong-side drive, or other means, but generally unattainable).

v8 is emblematic of the muscle cars. and again another engine configuration that is hard to find on that side of the pond.

so it's quite special in ways that americans take for granted.

anyway, i rented a v8 mustang ('mustang gt premium') in socal through the hertz adrenaline collection.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by deniah
a little perspective:
for europeans, the mustang is a bit of a unicorn. in the uk, until this year, it had never been sold. (could be had through imports in wrong-side drive, or other means, but generally unattainable).

v8 is emblematic of the muscle cars. and again another engine configuration that is hard to find on that side of the pond.

so it's quite special in ways that americans take for granted.

anyway, i rented a v8 mustang ('mustang gt premium') in socal through the hertz adrenaline collection.
enjoy your trip and your ride
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: *G
sorry, i meant thats what i did in the past, to advise the OP
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:53 am

sorry, i meant thats what i did in the past, to advise the OP
my fault > hope you have had a great trip
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
a little perspective:
I don't know about that. Unicorns seem friendly and look pretty and are usually sparkly. Ford Mustangs (except for the very old ones) are kind of ugly, designed by the guy who flunked out of design school.

I think a big reason why they don't/didn't sell them in Europe is more in the direction of why would anyone buy such a bucket of rubbish when the options for high-performance sports cars (i.e. don't just make a lot of noise at the traffic light) manufactured in Europe is so much higher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.