Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I love Hearst castle, not because it is a good example of a castle (it isn't) but because of what it says about its late owner. The guides like to call Hearst's taste "eclectic," but that term used this way it is mainly a synonym for "awful." No architectural unity to the contents, incredibly valuable stuff and crap both displayed equally expansively, marvelous stories about how Hearst ran the place, etc. Well worth a tour IMO, if the one recommended for first time visitors has too long a wait, take whatever is available, you'll still get the idea.
I agree on all points. I believe I've quipped before that Hearst Castle is "One rich man's monument to himself." Snarkiness aside, it is worth spending a few hours there for sightseeing and a bit of history as you pass through the area. You can reserve tickets for your tour in advance. The tours short, so you might try booking two to get a fuller experience.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Only in southern California. Around Big Sur and north, it is indeed referred to as Highway 1. No one I know up here calls it PCH.
I have friend who was once able to say to a planning board "my family has owned a house next to what is now known as Highway 1 since ...". This was in what is now known as Carmel Highlands.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:58 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Try Roadside America: Northern California and Southern California. You're bound to find something odd and interesting.

LA options:

The Little Ethiopia neighborhood around Olympic & Fairfax has some tasty, affordable, and somewhat-spicy options.

Koreatown has some all-you-can-eat Korean barbecue options (cook-your-own-meat kind of place; nothing like American barbecue).

LA offers more variety of architecture than SF (from what I remember of living in SF).

The Getty can be nice on four levels, so consider it even if you don't care for museums: The architecture, the views of LA, the landscaping, and the art in the museum.

I'll have to gather more tips to post another day!

Last edited by LGA; Jun 24, 2014 at 8:13 pm Reason: Added info.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
One more question today: If we want to make a stop between Santa Barbara and LA to have brunch or lunch, where would you recommend. I was thinking of a Malibu beach club kind of place (if there is something like that). Any ideas?
If it is on Sunday, you could stop by Duke's Malibu for brunch. You could meet the real Gidget!

http://www.dukesmalibu.com/malibu
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:24 am

- Day 1: SF to Carmel
- Day 2: Carmel to Santa Barbara
- Day 3: Santa Barbara to LA

However, we only have three days, and I would like to hear your recommendations for your favourite must stops on the way. Wether this is a great restaurant, a walk, an ice cream or coffee place, a city/village, a house, a large tree or a viewpoint does not really matter. Just give me your personal highlights!
Surprised no one has mentioned the funky Madonna Inn, which is located in San Luis Obispo about 90 miles north of Santa Barbara. Each of its rooms is decorated differently, ranging from an all-rock Caveman room to a Fabulous 50s room to an Oriental Fantasy room. (The room list at http://www.madonnainn.com/features.php had links to all the rooms.) It's worth stopping by just to see the public men's room on the ground floor, which features a central rock waterfall. (A friend snuck me in :-> ) and the over-the-top lobby and gift shop.

A little south of SLO is Solvang, a village founded by a group of Danes early last century featuring Danish architecture and fantastic bakeries.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
How about lunch at the cafe outdoors at the Getty Villa Museum in Malibu? You must reserve first for your parking. No parking along Rt 1. It is a replica of an estate in Herculaneum and has gorgeous views of the ocean from the patios. The two Getty Museums are the recipientsof most of John Paul Getty's estate.

For authentic Jewish deli food, go to Mort's in Tarzana on Rt 101. Bea's Bakery is next door with amazing cookies for the road. Mort's is a dying breed. Order fish plate with extra bagels. Real people eat there. Actually, when Clint Eastwood lived in Chatsworth, he ate there.

Be sure to see the Mission Santa Barbara, the Queen of Missions. You will have other opportunities, like Carmel, etc but Santa Barbara is special.

I concur with people suggesting Big Sur and Nepenthe. In the early 60s, I went with friends to Nepenthe and saw Kim Novak, at night in the moonlight, dancing a line dance with the hippie denizens of the coast. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton hung out there during the filming of Sandpipers. Cliffside view of the ocean.

I would go into downtown LA to see the Disney Theater by Frank Gehrey, similar in design to the museum in Bilbao, Spain. LA's City Hall is an iconic feature of many films and Olvera Street is the home of the original Pueblo of LA. Not far is the Science Center where the space shuttle now resides. Take in a concert at the Hollywood Bowl and have your dinner there as the locals do. LA boasts a relatively new Catholic Cathedral downtown, ver modern. Take an architecture tour at 10 am on Saturdays from the Biltmore Hotel and see the Bradbury Building, among others. The Biltmore alone is a treat. Also, fun is the Grand Central Market. Walk a few blocks and ride the outside elevators at the Westin Hotel. Don't miss the historic Angel's Flight, a funicular.

I used to live in LA and found there was a lot to do there.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:01 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Karen2
Don't miss the historic Angel's Flight, a funicular
It's been non-operational since last September. Unclear when it will reopen, due to safety and regulatory concerns.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Karen2
For authentic Jewish deli food, go to Mort's in Tarzana on Rt 101. Bea's Bakery is next door with amazing cookies for the road. Mort's is a dying breed. Order fish plate with extra bagels. Real people eat there. Actually, when Clint Eastwood lived in Chatsworth, he ate there.
Mort's is quite mediocre, although I agree with you on Bea's Bakery.

Brent's Deli in Northridge and Westlake Village is far superior. Other great delis in the Los Angeles area are Langer's and the newly opened Wexler's Deli at the Grand Central Market downtown.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
First off, I'd observe that I would NOT break up your travels that way.

Day 1 is fine, but Day 2 is too long.....especially if you are planning a stop at Hurst Castle. Highway 1 between Carmel and San Simeon is a winding 2 lane road that can back up badly behind tour buses or motor homes during the summer. I'd plan my stop somewhere between San Louis Obispo and Solvang/Santa Nella. (Pismo Beach?)

Also, I'd be careful about routing and timing of entering Los Angeles. I'd avoid Highway 1 (PCH) between Ventura and Los Angeles on a weekend, as the beach traffic will slow the route to a crawl. I'd equally avoid US 101 from Ventura to Los Angeles during weekday rush hour traffic (7-9 am, 4:30-7 pm M-F).
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Trip is July/August. As far as I understand, weather will vary considerable between pretty cold in SF/Carmel and extremely hot in Scottsdale/Sedona, Gran Canyon/Vegas. Will have a hard time packing, I guess.
That is fun! I will also be doing a trip on Highway 1 at this time, end of August and beginning of September, starting from Germany. However, my plan is to begin with a visit to Napa Valley. I am quite into road trips in the US, especially following the road numbers there! So I will follow Highway 29 all the way up through Napa. The plan is to reach as far North as Humboldt Redwoods State Park on US-101, then drive South along California 1.

However, concerning Highway 1, I recall the most interesting section (in my opinion, based on excursions when I was based at San Francisco Opera) is the road as it travels North of San Francisco. In fact, the whole road reminded me of what the A9 used to be like in the North of Scotland. I figure that driving Southbound is a good way to, because the car will be on the correct side of the road for ocean views and photography stops. Although this will not be such an issue on the Northern section, because traffic is lighter. I know this thread is about Highway 1 between SF and LA, but I think the Northern section should not be forgotten too!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
That is fun! I will also be doing a trip on Highway 1 at this time, end of August and beginning of September, starting from Germany. However, my plan is to begin with a visit to Napa Valley. I am quite into road trips in the US, especially following the road numbers there! So I will follow Highway 29 all the way up through Napa. The plan is to reach as far North as Humboldt Redwoods State Park on US-101, then drive South along California 1.

However, concerning Highway 1, I recall the most interesting section (in my opinion, based on excursions when I was based at San Francisco Opera) is the road as it travels North of San Francisco. In fact, the whole road reminded me of what the A9 used to be like in the North of Scotland. I figure that driving Southbound is a good way to, because the car will be on the correct side of the road for ocean views and photography stops. Although this will not be such an issue on the Northern section, because traffic is lighter. I know this thread is about Highway 1 between SF and LA, but I think the Northern section should not be forgotten too!
It is a splendid drive and I have done it a few times. The first time I went that way in 1963 for some reason I took the bus from Seattle to Eureka and flew from there to SFO thus missing it. The "Lost Coast" where 101 is inland and CA 1 has not started is very nice and unspoiled though inevitably a bit out of the way!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:11 pm

If you do NOT stop in Santa Cruz, but want a break/coffee/snack/meal/snacks-for-the-road before continuing to Monterey...

About four miles south of Santa Cruz and a half-mile off of Hwy 1 is Gayle's Bakery & Rosticceria (504 Bay Ave.).

The Bay Ave. off-ramp is a very short distance south of the 41st Ave. off-ramp and shares most of this short distance with the 41st Ave on-ramp to Hwy 1; but most drivers are courteous here.

Turn right at the bottom of the off-ramp, turn left at the second stop sign and immediately turn right into the parking lot. Additional parking is in back.

www.gaylesbakery.com/
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:23 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
I'm driving from LAX to Buellton later this week via Hwy 1 and this thread has been very helpful!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:57 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We are back, and I just wanted to say thank you once again to all the people that helped me in this thread. Some specific things we did:

Originally Posted by Djlawman
We're outdoors people, and out in the bay area/Monterey a lot.

Our favorites include Cowell Redwoods State Park (just north of Santa Cruz), and Point Lobos State Park (fantastic park just south of Carmel on the coast ) .

Review google images for both and you will see what they are like.

Monterey -- have to have some French-fried artichoke hearts on the wharf (best junk food ), and the Aquarium should not be missed.

Pacific Grove -- we go Kayaking here with the sea otters near Lover's point park.

Below Carmel, stop in at Nepenthe restaurant/gift shop on the Big Sur coast for that California groovy vibe. Great view over the water while you are eating. Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park nearby have great redwoods also. (I'd stop at one of the Redwood parks, not recommending you do all of them, as I think you would find it a little redundant, and have only limited time.)

Pismo beach is worth checking out -- the sand dunes are great. Ventana Grill is a nice restaurant there with great views.

If you had more time, I would recommend you go inland for Pinnacles National Park, but given your length of trip I don't think you can really fit it in.
We loved Point Lobos park south of Carmel. Went there early morning, just after opening (we spent the night in Carmel), so we had the place more or less for ourselves.

I really wanted to try the french fried artichoke hearts at the Monterey wharf, but could not find any. Maybe not the right season?

Nepthente restaurant (Big Sur) was a very nice stop for coffee. The view was fantastic!

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Driving south from Big Sur, you will drop down from the mountains to the shore. You might enjoy a stop at the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal viewing area. There are hundreds of these giant sea mammals in residence and the wooden walk-ways get you pretty close for photos. They smell pretty bad but you will probably never have a chance to see something like that as close in the wild. There are interpretive signs and often a volunteer docent who can give educational talks.

As you drive south toward San Simeon, keep an eye to the east (land side) for glimpses of the famous Hearst Castle, sitting on top of a hill. With your short time, I wouldn't recommend taking one of the tours as they eat up a lot of time.

One place I haven't seen mentioned is Cayucos, about half-way between Big Sur and San Luis Obispo, several miles south of San Simeon. It is a bustling, scenic little beach-side town with a nice pier to walk out on. There is a takeout place for lunch right at the entrance to the pier for food you can carry out and eat over the water. Although I like their food, my favorite lunch place in Cayucos is The Smokehouse on 'D' Street for really great barbecue. The place doesn't look like much, rather like a converted barn with rustic wooden picnic tables and food served in baskets, but the barbecued meats are to die for. Try the beef or pork sandwich or get a full platter if you are really hungry.

In Morro Bay, the Great American Fish Company does a pretty good job with seafood, but there are a number of quite good seafood places along the Embarcadero, right on the waterfront. Even if you don't stop in Morro Bay, it is worth the short detour to drive along the waterfront by the boat basin for views of the iconic Morro Rock, which dominates the scenery in this part of the coast. You will see it rising out of the sea well before you get to Morro Bay.

We stopped for lunch in Cayukos and tried the Smokehouse. Loved their food. The place was exactly what you said, nothing much to look at, but the sandwiches etc. made up for that!

Originally Posted by rubesl
Hogs Breath Inn in Carmel to eat - fun place, owned by Clint Eastwood. Also, make sure you take the 17 Mile Drive in Monterey - beautiful.
Loved the 17 Mile Drive, very beautiful.
Did east at Hogs Breath as well. It was a fun place, but we were not very enthusiastic about food and service.

Originally Posted by Djlawman
If I had to choose, of the three, I would probably stop at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Great redwoods, hike to a nice waterfall, and you can drive well into the park.

You will come to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park a little further south along Rt. 1, and you might want to stop there very quickly, if only to see the waterfall there which falls into the Pacific Ocean (only major waterfall in CA spilling into the ocean). There might not be much waterflow if there has not been much rain, though.
Visited Julia Pfeiffer Burns State park and had a very good time there. Saw redwoods and the waterfall.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Just north of LAX is Venice Beach, a very unique place to spend an hour or two walking up and down the "boardwalk" and watching the very eclectic world roll by. A little further south is Santa Monica, another great stroll.
Venice is a must see, and we very much enjoyed it. Spent a night in Santa Barbara as well towards the end of our holidays and liked that a lot as well.

Originally Posted by LAXative
Take a restroom break at the Madonna Inn in SLO to check out their urinal.... don't Google it, it will ruin the surprise.

Hearst Castle, without a doubt. I would go as far as making reservations to make sure you get the time slot that fits your timeline.

If you want to take a slight detour onto the 101 near LA, visit Camarillo Premium Outlets to scratch your shopping itch (though I think Cabazon in Palm Springs is better).

I hope you're getting a convertible!
Madonna Inn was a great restroom break, especially for my husband and son. I wish we would have had some space for cakes there as well, but it was pretty soon after lunch so we just went to the restrooms (and we were not the only ones).

Originally Posted by Motek
Surprised no one has mentioned the funky Madonna Inn, which is located in San Luis Obispo about 90 miles north of Santa Barbara. Each of its rooms is decorated differently, ranging from an all-rock Caveman room to a Fabulous 50s room to an Oriental Fantasy room. (The room list at http://www.madonnainn.com/features.php had links to all the rooms.) It's worth stopping by just to see the public men's room on the ground floor, which features a central rock waterfall. (A friend snuck me in :-> ) and the over-the-top lobby and gift shop.

A little south of SLO is Solvang, a village founded by a group of Danes early last century featuring Danish architecture and fantastic bakeries.
I wish we would have stayed at night at the Madonna inn. Crazy place, but as said above, we only went to the restrooms this time.

As you know, we had three days for this drive and we could easily have spent a week. So many things that we wanted to see and do in addition to what we had time for. Definitely a drive to do again some time.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
We are back ... ... we had three days for this drive and we could easily have spent a week. ...
Thanks for the report back. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.