Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I did it last year, this was my itinerary:

- Friday: Flew into SJC, had lunch with a friend in Redwood City then took CA-84 to CA-1 at San Gregorio. Drove to Monterey and spent the night (attended a FT DO)

- Saturday: Drove to San Luis Obispo had lunch (High Street Market and Deli), walked around downtown and the Cal Poly campus, swung by the Madonna Inn. I also stopped at several scenic overlooks on the drive (Rocky Creek Bridge etc.). I spent the night at the Embassy Suites in Lompoc and had dinner over in Buellton at the Hitching Post

- Sunday: Drove to Santa Barbara for lunch (Los Agaves Mexican), walked to the pier, saw downtown, went to the Mission, then drove onto LA and flew home.

It was one hell of a trip.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Wow! You certainly didn't dawdle at the scenic sites to cover all that ground so quickly.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Wow! You certainly didn't dawdle at the scenic sites to cover all that ground so quickly.
I work and go to school full time so I had to do more with less unfortunately. I do wish I'd been able to stop a few more places but I still had a great time and crossed something off my bucket list.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CMK10
I work and go to school full time so I had to do more with less unfortunately. I do wish I'd been able to stop a few more places but I still had a great time and crossed something off my bucket list.
I agree with your approach to this trip. While you can stretch it out to several fulfilling days with lots of stops and different kinds of sightseeing, you can also condense it into 2 amazing days by making careful choices.

I know because all my trips to the Central Coast have been 1-2 great days each. I've lived in California for many years, though, so I've had the luxury of knowing that whatever I choose to skip on one trip I can try to hit the next time 'round. But the point remains, you can have an excellent time without needing to see everything.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
FYI, the annual AMGEN Coast Classic bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles on Highway 1 is September 26 - October 3. http://www.californiacoastclassic.org/

The schedule:
Day 1, September 26th: San Francisco to Santa Cruz
READY...SET...PEDAL! Cyclists begin in San Francisco, into the tiny town of Davenport (stop for a sandwich or pie!) and catch a tailwind into Santa Cruz, completing a total of 85 miles and 5000 feet of elevation9/26/2015

Day 2, September 27th: Santa Cruz to Monterey
This leg of the tour measures 53 miles/2000 feet and takes you through the dramatic landscape of the California countryside, into Cannery Row before resting for the night in picturesque Monterey. 9/27/2015

Day 3, September 28th: Monterey to Big Sur
Say goodbye to Monterey and head south. A short 46 miles/2800 feet will bring you into the spectacular landscape of the Big Sur forest and incredible visits. Stick your feet in the river at the River Inn just two miles before camp!9/28/2015

Day 4, September 29th: Big Sur to Cambria
As you wind your way through the scented forests of Big Sur, you will continue into the bike friendly community of Cambria after passing the world-renowned Hearst Castle. Make sure to stop and taste the olallieberry pie. At this point, you've cycled a total of 73 miles and 5500 feet!9/29/2015

Day 5, September 30th: Cambria to Pismo Beach
Absolutely beautiful. If the pedaling doesn't take your breath away, the scenery will! A mere 55 miles/1900 feet, this leg of the tour will allow you to soak up your surroundings as you cycle along world famous beaches. 9/30/2015

Day 6, October 1st: Pismo Beach to Buellton
As you make your way through the wine country made famous by the movie Sideways, you will enjoy quiet roads and beautiful vineyards. After 66 miles and 2700 feet of incredible riding, a special dinner that includes wine and beer tastings is prepared to celebrate your journey to date. 10/1/2015

Day 7, October 2nd: Buellton to Ventura
This spectacular day winds through Solvang, into Santa Barbara through Hope Ranch, then along the coast on the new bike path and finishing at the beach in Ventura after 86 miles and 3500 feet. 10/2/2015

Day 8, October 3rd: Ventura to Los Angeles
Congratulations! After the final 60 miles and 2000 feet of rolling hills along the gorgeous coast into Malibu, you cross the finish line as a group in Los Angeles to fanfare and an emotional welcome. A victory party will help you celebrate this unique trip and reflect on your outstanding achievement.
Hopefully no one's carefully crafted trip plan is impacted!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:47 am

I will hijack this thread little bit.. i am planing to do the opposite, driving from SF to LA.

My plan was:
SF - Santa Cruz (Stay for few hours)
Santa Cruz - Monterrey (2 nights)
Monterrey - Big sur (Visit Juila Peff-somthing Park)
Big sur to Morro Bay (1 Night)
MB - Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle - SB (Few Hours)
SB - LA.

but now after reading this thread! Morro bay seems like a place to pass by but not to stay over the night? should i keep MB and add another night perhaps in Santa Barbra?
or replace MB with Cambria or SLO or Pismo Beach?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by jdmlove
... but now after reading this thread! Morro bay seems like a place to pass by but not to stay over the night? should i keep MB and add another night perhaps in Santa Barbra?
or replace MB with Cambria or SLO or Pismo Beach?
Don't over-think this too much. As I understand it, you were looking for a place to spend the night before going on one of the Hearst Castle tours in the morning. Morro Bay is closer to Hearst Castle than SLO or Pismo Beach so the drive in the morning will be much shorter. Cambria is a bit closer yet but accommodations are thinner and the streets roll up at night. It is an artsy community and might be nice for an after dinner stroll but don't expect much excitement.

Morro Bay is not an exciting night spot town. It does, on the other hand, have a nice Embarcadero along the boat basin and nice sunset views over the "Rock." There are many very nice seafood restaurants to choose from along the waterfront.

So, SLO or Pismo = longer drive backtracking to Hearst Castle but more choices for activities other than just dinner and an early night. Would require an earlier morning departure to make the tour times.

Cambria = closest to Hearst Castle but fewer dining choices, artsy and quiet.

Morro Bay = nice waterfront area, numerous dining choices, quiet after dinner, not much nightlife.

I'd stay at MB and have a nice dinner followed by a stroll along the waterfront and an early night to rest up for all the walking at Hearst the next morning. Others might push along faster to SLO and take a wine tour or spend some time walking around the downtown mission area and enjoying the Higuera Street dining and drinking scene. If there on a Thursday evening, I recommend the downtown farmer's market on Higuera. YMMV.

http://downtownslo.com/farmers-market/

The main factor is that the further south you go the night before, the further you will have to backtrack the next morning to Hearst Castle. Choose your own poison. Personally, I dislike the stretch of Highway 1 northbound in and near SLO in the morning so avoid it if possible. Again, YMMV.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Don't over-think this too much. As I understand it, you were looking for a place to spend the night before going on one of the Hearst Castle tours in the morning. Morro Bay is closer to Hearst Castle than SLO or Pismo Beach so the drive in the morning will be much shorter. Cambria is a bit closer yet but accommodations are thinner and the streets roll up at night. It is an artsy community and might be nice for an after dinner stroll but don't expect much excitement.

Morro Bay is not an exciting night spot town. It does, on the other hand, have a nice Embarcadero along the boat basin and nice sunset views over the "Rock." There are many very nice seafood restaurants to choose from along the waterfront.

So, SLO or Pismo = longer drive backtracking to Hearst Castle but more choices for activities other than just dinner and an early night. Would require an earlier morning departure to make the tour times.

Cambria = closest to Hearst Castle but fewer dining choices, artsy and quiet.

Morro Bay = nice waterfront area, numerous dining choices, quiet after dinner, not much nightlife.

I'd stay at MB and have a nice dinner followed by a stroll along the waterfront and an early night to rest up for all the walking at Hearst the next morning. Others might push along faster to SLO and take a wine tour or spend some time walking around the downtown mission area and enjoying the Higuera Street dining and drinking scene. If there on a Thursday evening, I recommend the downtown farmer's market on Higuera. YMMV.

http://downtownslo.com/farmers-market/

The main factor is that the further south you go the night before, the further you will have to backtrack the next morning to Hearst Castle. Choose your own poison. Personally, I dislike the stretch of Highway 1 northbound in and near SLO in the morning so avoid it if possible. Again, YMMV.
Thank you sir! you made it very clear to me!

so MB it is!

after the hearst castle i will be on my way to LA.. do i want to pass by Santa Barbra and perhaps malibu.. is it worth it to stay somewhere for one night in the way from Hearst Castle to LA.
note that we dont drink alcohol.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:14 am

Many thanks to the contributors to this fantastically useful thread.
We're in the Monterey/Point Lobos area in late Sept 2016, so the alert about the bike race is especially useful so we can plan our days!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:09 am
Suspended

Does anyone mind giving me a few ideas?

I will be in Cali next June. We finish up with Disney on Wednesday, maybe late afternoon and then need to be back in LA on Sunday to fly back home. Would like to drive up the coast, Hearst Castle is a must.

I was thinking maybe Wed night Malibu, Thurs night Best Western San Simeon, Friday Hearst Castle and then drive up to Big Sur by the evening. Saturday just relax in that area and then start heading back to LA by the evening.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I was thinking maybe Wed night Malibu, Thurs night Best Western San Simeon, Friday Hearst Castle and then drive up to Big Sur by the evening. Saturday just relax in that area and then start heading back to LA by the evening.
I would stay in Santa Barbara instead of Malibu and Cambria instead of San Simeon.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
I would stay in Santa Barbara instead of Malibu and Cambria instead of San Simeon.
Okay thanks, will check those out. Can I ask why Santa Barbara over Malibu?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Santa Barbara is the quintessential California coastal town. It has a lovely downtown area with tree lined streets, historic buildings, museums and great restaurants. Then there are the mission and the beaches.

Malibu is mostly a several-mile-long strip of houses, grand and modest, built on a narrow strip between PCH and the ocean. For the most part, the ocean view is blocked for long stretches. There isn't really much for a tourist to do there. A car is a must to get anywhere, but parking is at a premium. If I were in your shoes, I would drive through Malibu on the way to Santa Barbara; it is a beautiful drive.

Take a look at this article:
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I would support TWA884's comments. We drove from LAX to Santa Barbara a few years back and it's a nice drive once you get clear of the freeways. We stayed in a B&B in downtown Santa Barbara and it's a great place just to walk about.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Hmm.. my girlfriend wanted to eat at Nobu. I suppose we could hit it on the way back, Saturday night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.