Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by reddevil0728
Need some advise on my drive from SF to LV.

The plan is to take Route 1 to have a view of the coastline. However, the drive is extremely long. Was wondering if there's a particular part of the coastline that I should hug while driving before leaving Route 1 and go onto I-5?

Currently the plan is to leave SF and hug the coastline from Pacifica to Santa Cruz, from Santa Cruz to Monterey and from Monterey all the way to Cambria before exiting onto route 46 and head to Las Vegas by the usual way had I take I-5.

I want to just have a view of the coastline and not necessary have a view throughout. Just want to have an experience.

Wondering if there’s a part of the coastline that provides a good view on leaving SF such that I can leave Route 1 after sometime and head onto I-5 without making a detour.

Will the view between Pacifica to Half Moon Bay be good enough before exiting onto Route 92 and head towards I-5?

Or should I just hug the coastline all the way from Pacifica to Santa Cruz before taking Route 101?

Any advice would be appreciated.
You intend to drive all the way from SF to Las Vegas, by way of the coastal route, in one day? Are you some kind of masochist?

If you must do this and only want to see the coast for a bit, I'd suggest taking 101/1 south to Santa Cruz and then cut east on SR 152 to Los Banos. The drive along Highway 1 around Half Moon Bay is pretty and Santa Cruz is a quirky seaside town that should satisfy your desire for an experience. Highway 152 takes you over the mountains to the Central Valley and intersects I-5 just before Los Banos. From there, it is a straight, fast but dull shot all the way to Bakersfield, where you would leave I-5 to head up and over Tehachapi Pass and on to Las Vegas.

I hope you will have someone to spell you in the driving. From Los Banos all the way to Las Vegas is a sleep inducing bore of a drive and will seem to take forever.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
The view is most spectacular (seriously world famous) between Monterey and Cambria so if this is a once in a lifetime trip then I would recommend that section. But you're right: it is a pretty slow drive.

The view down the peninsula (through Half Moon Bay) is also good, but the highway goes back and forth between the coast and a mile inland. I wouldn't recommend using 92 to go back into the bay area as that will put you back into traffic. Taking it down to Watsonville would be better.

Here's a couple suggested routes:

-For the world famous part south of Monterey:

I280 out of San Francisco, CA17 to Santa Cruz, CA1 all the way to Cambria, then CA46 east to CA99 south to Bakersfield, then CA58 east to I15 north.

-For the section through Half Moon Bay:

I280 to CA1 in SF, CA1 to Moss Landing, CA183 to Salinas, US101 to Paso Robles, then CA46 east and continue to Vegas on the same route as above.

Another option would be to take 101 all the way to LA. It has a nice coastal section near Santa Barbara.

Plan on all 3 of these routes taking 14-16 hours.

Last edited by Lost; Apr 3, 2016 at 1:11 pm
Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Originally Posted by Lost
There's nothing between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. Otherwise most every town has one or two fast food places (like McDonalds).

<snip>

If you want to do the historic California roadside restaurant stop then go to Andersen's Pea Soup in Buellton.
This is just not even close to true.

There are some very nice seafood places in Morro Bay, Cambria and Cayucos and one of the better barbecue places on the coast in Cayucos (The Smokehouse.) Big Sur also has some interesting and unique places for a nice lunch, right along the highway.
I just wanted to reiterate that even though there fortunately is a dearth of chain restaurants along PCH between Monterey and San Luis Obispo, there are plenty of eating and dining options.

In Buellton, I recommend The Hitching Post, where many scenes in the Academy Award winning movie Sideways were filmed.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Currently the plan is to leave SF and hug the coastline from Pacifica to Santa Cruz, from Santa Cruz to Monterey and from Monterey all the way to Cambria before exiting onto route 46 and head to Las Vegas by the usual way had I take I-5.
This is a fine plan to start with. It's the one I'd start with. How much time can you allot to this leg of your trip, though? It is more than day's drive.

As others have noted, the outstanding part of Highway 1 is the stretch from Monterey to Cambria. If you head inland towards US-101 at Half Moon Bay, or even on one of the crossings south of Santa Cruz, you will save time and maybe shorten the trip to a day's drive (a long day's drive) but miss the best parts. It's worth looking at where you can trim time elsewhere from your schedule to free up more time for the coast route.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Drive up to SF from LA will need to be a quick one hence will be taking I-5. While we have more time to drive down to LV from SF hence taking Route 1 to enjoy the coastal view.

Been trying to find out information regarding rest area along both routes. Been on a road trip in the UK where they have like motorway service area with gas station and food outlet. Is there similar concept in the US?

Can't seem to find such information as to where exactly all these rest areas are and what facilities and food outlets do they have.
Such travel plazas are common on US toll highways (termed "turnpikes" in most states where they exist) but are uncommon elsewhere, since many rural freeway exits have fuel and food options just off the offramps and close to the freeway (the pictures provided by TWA884 show a typical offramp). Turnpikes, having fewer exits and not allowing one to freely exit and re-enter the toll road, have service plazas to allow people to satisfy their needs without leaving the toll road.

As mentioned, rest areas along California freeways are very basic (typically toilets of questionable cleanliness and--if you're lucky--perhaps a vending machine for a snack and soda). Such rest areas don't usually exist along two-lane highways like Highway 1, but the road passes through several towns/settlements and a few campgrounds/picnic sites, so dedicated rest areas are not necessary.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA884
In Buellton, I recommend The Hitching Post, where many scenes in the Academy Award winning movie Sideways were filmed.
I had an excellent dinner there when I drove the PCH two years ago ^
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:24 am

You intend to drive all the way from SF to Las Vegas, by way of the coastal route, in one day? Are you some kind of masochist?

If you must do this and only want to see the coast for a bit, I'd suggest taking 101/1 south to Santa Cruz and then cut east on SR 152 to Los Banos. The drive along Highway 1 around Half Moon Bay is pretty and Santa Cruz is a quirky seaside town that should satisfy your desire for an experience. Highway 152 takes you over the mountains to the Central Valley and intersects I-5 just before Los Banos. From there, it is a straight, fast but dull shot all the way to Bakersfield, where you would leave I-5 to head up and over Tehachapi Pass and on to Las Vegas.

I hope you will have someone to spell you in the driving. From Los Banos all the way to Las Vegas is a sleep inducing bore of a drive and will seem to take forever.
Glad that I decided to ask here.

I was using Google Maps, the time it quoted me is probably about 13 hours non stop driving? I was thinking maybe I factor in a couple more hours for stops?

There will be like 4 drivers on rotation.

You mean take route 1 south to santa cruz from SF via pacifica, montara, half moon bay?
Originally Posted by Lost
The view is most spectacular (seriously world famous) between Monterey and Cambria so if this is a once in a lifetime trip then I would recommend that section. But you're right: it is a pretty slow drive.

The view down the peninsula (through Half Moon Bay) is also good, but the highway goes back and forth between the coast and a mile inland. I wouldn't recommend using 92 to go back into the bay area as that will put you back into traffic. Taking it down to Watsonville would be better.

Here's a couple suggested routes:

-For the world famous part south of Monterey:

I280 out of San Francisco, CA17 to Santa Cruz, CA1 all the way to Cambria, then CA46 east to CA99 south to Bakersfield, then CA58 east to I15 north.

-For the section through Half Moon Bay:

I280 to CA1 in SF, CA1 to Moss Landing, CA183 to Salinas, US101 to Paso Robles, then CA46 east and continue to Vegas on the same route as above.

Another option would be to take 101 all the way to LA. It has a nice coastal section near Santa Barbara.

Plan on all 3 of these routes taking 14-16 hours.
Given the feedback I have gotten so far. seems like that drive is undoable...

However, I was thinking about this instead.

https://www.google.com.sg/maps/dir/S...36.1699412!3e0

would it still be doable in a day if i leave before sunrise and hopefully reach LV by sunset? Talking about late june here...

I will take 101 - > 156 @ Prunedale - > 1
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:49 am

The route you cite above is probably the best blend of scenery and efficiency you will find. Just understand that the section through Big Sur will not be at 55+ MPH. It is a mountain highway and sees a LOT of traffic. The section on SR46 across the Valley to Bakersfield is country highway through a boring section so has little scenery but no real problems. This will be an all day drive but you can do it with some help driving.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Need some advise on my drive from SF to LV.

The plan is to take Route 1 to have a view of the coastline. However, the drive is extremely long. Was wondering if there's a particular part of the coastline that I should hug while driving before leaving Route 1 and go onto I-5?

I want to just have a view of the coastline and not necessary have a view throughout. Just want to have an experience.

Wondering if there’s a part of the coastline that provides a good view on leaving SF such that I can leave Route 1 after sometime and head onto I-5 without making a detour.

Will the view between Pacifica to Half Moon Bay be good enough before exiting onto Route 92 and head towards I-5?

Or should I just hug the coastline all the way from Pacifica to Santa Cruz before taking Route 101?

Any advice would be appreciated.
You plan is pretty good. The section between Monterey and Cambria is the part you don't want to miss.

The section from Pacifica to Santa Cruz is ok but not as spectacular as the section thru Big Sur. If you want to save some time, take 101 to Salinas and then cut over to PCH at Monterey.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lomb...36.1264898!3e0

Last edited by bzcat; Apr 4, 2016 at 1:07 pm
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:44 pm

The route you cite above is probably the best blend of scenery and efficiency you will find. Just understand that the section through Big Sur will not be at 55+ MPH. It is a mountain highway and sees a LOT of traffic. The section on SR46 across the Valley to Bakersfield is country highway through a boring section so has little scenery but no real problems. This will be an all day drive but you can do it with some help driving.
Great! Thanks for the information.
Originally Posted by bzcat
You plan is pretty good. The section between Monterey and Cambria is the part you don't want to miss.

The section from Pacifica to Santa Cruz is ok but not as spectacular as the section thru Big Sur. If you want to save some time, take 101 to Salinas and then cut over to PCH at Monterey.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lomb...36.1264898!3e0
Not sure if I am seeing this right. The link I provided earlier takes 101 out of SF, whereas the link provided takes 280 out of SF before connecting onto 85 and subsequently 101.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:21 pm

Not sure if I am seeing this right. The link I provided earlier takes 101 out of SF, whereas the link provided takes 280 out of SF before connecting onto 85 and subsequently 101.
Either will get you there. At that time of day I think I'd prefer 101 but will defer to locals as to which will be better traffic-wise..
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:46 am

Either will get you there. At that time of day I think I'd prefer 101 but will defer to locals as to which will be better traffic-wise..
oh right. would you reckon that, if we were to leave before sunrise at around 5am, and drive most of the time without stopping much, we can get to LV by sunset around 8ish?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:20 am

oh right. would you reckon that, if we were to leave before sunrise at around 5am, and drive most of the time without stopping much, we can get to LV by sunset around 8ish?
I couldn't even guess. I have driven every part of your planned route multiple times but wouldn't even consider doing it all in one day. I just hope you aren't going to miss the whole purpose of doing the scenic route by not taking time to stop occasionally and enjoy it.

I personally think Las Vegas is a complete waste of vacation time but to each his own. Have fun.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Either way is fine... depends on traffic on the day of travel
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
However, I was thinking about this instead.

https://www.google.com.sg/maps/dir/S...36.1699412!3e0
Your route is reasonable. It's the one I'd choose to see the best part of the Central Coast en route to Las Vegas while minimizing overall drive time.

would it still be doable in a day if i leave before sunrise and hopefully reach LV by sunset? Talking about late june here...
Reaching LV by sunset would require extreme measures. Google Maps' estimate of 10:22 drive time is suspiciously low IMO. I've driven each part of the route several times and would estimate the whole at 13 hours of driving, best case. Add in time for even minimal gas/food/photo stops-- as well as allowance for a bit of heavy traffic or construction delays you're practically guaranteed to encounter somewhere along the route-- and you're looking at 16 hours end to end. Figure "before sunset" means you want to roll in to Vegas by 8pm, so you'd need to be on the road from SF at 4am. And again, that's assuming something close to best case. Do you have an evening engagement in Vegas you're trying to meet by arriving before sunset? If so taking this day-trip is very risky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.