FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't know about that. Unicorns seem friendly and look pretty and are usually sparkly. Ford Mustangs (except for the very old ones) are kind of ugly, designed by the guy who flunked out of design school.

I think a big reason why they don't/didn't sell them in Europe is more in the direction of why would anyone buy such a bucket of rubbish when the options for high-performance sports cars (i.e. don't just make a lot of noise at the traffic light) manufactured in Europe is so much higher?
high performance sports cars cost way more $$$ in the U.K.

The Mustang V8 is cheap compared to a BMW etc
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by blitzen
high performance sports cars cost way more $$$ in the U.K.

The Mustang V8 is cheap compared to a BMW etc
Not convinced....The Mustang V8 starts at £36,000 in the UK. For that I'd rather have a BMW 4-series or a Mercedes C-class, but I accept that these do not make the same 'rebel' kind of statement.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: *G
I don't know about that. Unicorns seem friendly and look pretty and are usually sparkly. Ford Mustangs (except for the very old ones) are kind of ugly, designed by the guy who flunked out of design school.

I think a big reason why they don't/didn't sell them in Europe is more in the direction of why would anyone buy such a bucket of rubbish when the options for high-performance sports cars (i.e. don't just make a lot of noise at the traffic light) manufactured in Europe is so much higher?
Horses for courses. Whether one finds appeal in the Mustang or not, one cannot deny its rarity draws attraction for others. The UK was deprived of 40 years and 5 generations of Mustangs.

I lusted after modern Alfa Romeos for years. I bought one immediately when I moved to Europe... then sold it promptly. It was a complete turd...but I just had to scratch that itch.

The Mustang came with a year-long waitlist when introduced for the first time in the UK , and I read somewhere that it outsold all other RWD sports cars in its year of introduction...

Not convinced....The Mustang V8 starts at £36,000 in the UK. For that I'd rather have a BMW 4-series or a Mercedes C-class, but I accept that these do not make the same 'rebel' kind of statement.
V8 list price is higher than 440i x-Drive on this side of the english channel.... i wouldnt buy it, but somebody is.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
We all have to satisfy our inner Richard Hammond from time to time
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:25 pm

There is no way to guarantee that you will get what you reserve. I have had two occasions when I reserved a convertible and it was not available when I got to the rental counter. Both times I was told that the person who had it before me did not return it on schedule. All you can do is reserve and hope for the best. (both times with Avis)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
The 4-series doesn't exactly compare to the Mustang V8. In terms of performance, only the M4 can be directly compared to the Mustang GT. Thanks to two turbos, the M4 has better performances. If I look at list prices in Germany, the GT is considerably cheaper than the M4 (44k € vs. 74k €).

Personally I've seen the new Mustang more frequently in Europe. It seems definitely more popular than the Camaro, that is being sold by Chevrolet for some time now.

Originally Posted by blitzen
We all have to satisfy our inner Richard Hammond from time to time
Richard J. Cheeseburger Hammond the third

---

PS: I get why you want to drive a V8 Mustang on a road trip
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We thought it would be fun to drive LA to SF on the PCH. It took forever until we finally bailed.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I showed up at a North American airport some years ago to pick up my boring standard mid size sedan for my meetings. they handed me the keys to a bright red Mustang convertible instead. I suspect I looked a tad ridiculous in it, and I had to park at the far end of the parking lot because I couldn't see out of the back to reverse the ruddy thing so had to have a 'drive through' space! Bit wasted on this British gal I am afraid!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Are you talking about Highway 1, the coastal route? If so, you need power steering much more than a V8. It's not a road for speed or timid drivers.
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Driving up the PCH you won't get much opportunity to really use the V-8. You may want to rethink doing it entirely on the PCH also. .... I did the PCH from San Fran to LA and was suck behind a train of RVs with no way to get past them. 3 hours of that will drive you nuts. We even stopped for lunch and caught back up to them.
Originally Posted by milepig
We thought it would be fun to drive LA to SF on the PCH. It took forever until we finally bailed.
timing is everything ... there's very little to recommend PCH/CA 1 between San Diego and Santa Monica, and you definitely don't want to be northbound out of LA much later than 2pm ... I haven't driven in the Santa Barbara area in over 25 years, nor Carmel/Monterey/Santa Cruz in almost 20, but I doubt weekend and afternoon rush traffic in either has gotten any better

I think the northern section (San Francisco to Leggett, thence on US 101 toward Eureka) would be much less crowded, and just as much fun to drive in a convertible
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:38 pm

Living the life off the 1 and 101

I agree with the poster that said that the coastal route from San Diego to LA is not that scenic. You can hop on PCH 1 from the 10 West in Los Angeles which will take you through Malibu and back to the 101 in Oxnard. You will hop on and off the 1 and 101 up to Lompoc ( watch for the 1 cutoff after going through the tunnel past the rest stop past Gaviota State beach. Now the fun begins.
We had an acquaintance from Ireland that thought that it was a 2 to 4 hour drive from LA to San Francisco. They made it through to Monterey and then bailed. They were very animated about the "Highway of Death". It is a beautiful drive and a V6 will more than do the job. 3 weeks will allow you to stop in Santa Barbara and Hearst Castle and many other great areas on the trip. Have fun and best wishes on the upcoming wedding.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:30 pm

Just an FYI...

Nobody born north of Santa Barbara calls it the PCH. It's Highway 1. Say "PCH" in San Francisco and the natives won't have clue what you're talking about.

The stretch north of San Francisco is beautiful, but depending on the time of year can also be cold, damp and foggy when 20 miles inland is warm and sunny.

A friend and I made several trips Bay Area - LA alternating between Hwys 1 and 101. She's a sports car addict, trained in performance driving. It would take us 10+ hours on Hwy 1 to 6 on Hwy. 101. YMMV.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
It's not a convertible, but if you want a Mustang, this would be your best choice
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...=ShelbyGTH.jsp

Otherwise just go with a regular convertible for a nice open air drive on that scenic route. That or choose something else in the Hertz Adrenaline or Dream Car collection.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold

Yeah, ok, back to reality....

The newest generation of Mustang is a world car, meaning for the first time, the car is being sold across the world, including Europe. It's worth pointing out that sales in Europe have been incredibly strong and the car is a massive hit. It's the best selling sports car in Germany right now, among other countries.

The bucket of rubbish sells well because the performance to price ratio can't be beat with anything by coming out Europe. Anything that costs the same performs much worse and anything that performs just as well costs twice as much.

The funny thing is, entry level German luxury cars here in the states reek of aspirational buyer or new money. You're presenting a false dichotomy here, anyway. A more valid comparison based on performance would be comparing the V8 Mustang to M4. The M4 starts off at 57,000 pounds in the UK.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
... Nobody born north of Santa Barbara calls it the PCH. It's Highway 1. Say "PCH" in San Francisco and the natives won't have clue what you're talking about. ...
Oh, we'll know, we just won't say it.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:23 pm

We did SF to LA last year and booked a mustang convertible from Avis (it does need to be done for us brits!).

Usual engine was fine, plenty of power and a low speed limit on PCH.

Of course when we turned up in Avis they claimed they had run out of mustangs and offered us a convertible instead. We were NOT happy and refused to move, asked to see the manager etc. Miraculously they then found us one.

I think in future I would email branch direct a few days in advance and call the day before to make it clear the type of car is important to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.