Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Having a break in Highway 1 is going to be a big hit to the tourism based economy of the Central Coast for some time to come. Not to mention the daily living of local residents.
Yep, it's really sad. For a lot of folks, this summer's tourism season is going to be a complete bust.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I have done some research on the Oregon coast today, and I'm pretty sold on it.
Make sure you also research the weather. The Oregon coast is foggy and cloudy much of the year, and I mean "foggy like you can't see 20 feet ahead" foggy. I've driven it in both summer and fall and wouldn't do it again.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Make sure you also research the weather. The Oregon coast is foggy and cloudy much of the year, and I mean "foggy like you can't see 20 feet ahead" foggy. I've driven it in both summer and fall and wouldn't do it again.
My trip is in December. I don't mind if it's cold, but I don't like heavy fog.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
My trip is in December. I don't mind if it's cold, but I don't like heavy fog.
This can be a feature of CA Hwy 1 too, which is one reason not to plan a swift trip.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Los Angeles Times:
California's coastal Highway 1 is now temporarily closed in several places after recent storms

Once the immediate danger passes and many of the slides are shored up, Highway 1 fans will be able to drive north from Los Angeles as far as the bridge closure. But there are no roads through the steep Santa Lucia Mountains to drive around the closure.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:13 pm
Suspended

So this basically means that to drive the full route will require a detour via a circle route of about 300 miles, followed by backtracking southwards again?

If this is the case, I think I will definitely switch to the Oregon route.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
So this basically means that to drive the full route will require a detour via a circle route of about 300 miles, followed by backtracking southwards again?

If this is the case, I think I will definitely switch to the Oregon route.
Yes, approaching from the north isn't too bad as you only have to back track to Monterey. It's a good bit further on the southern side. If you have the time it is a nice drive down from Monterey though.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
So this basically means that to drive the full route will require a detour via a circle route of about 300 miles, followed by backtracking southwards again? ...
What? No!

Coming south from SFO, you could stay on Highway 1 to and through Monterey and up into the hills at Big Sur. The closure is in the Big Sur area at Pfeiffer Canyon, south of the town of Big Sur. The "backtrack" to get around the blockage from there is only about 25 miles or so back north to Highway 68 near Monterey. From there, the detour goes about 24 miles east through some pretty hills to Salinas, which is on Highway 101. Turn south at Salinas and continue south to Highway 46 and then turn back west to Highway 1 south of the blockage, continuing the trip south on 1 (PCH.)

The total backtracking here is about 25 miles plus detours of about 45 more to get to and from Highway 101. The rest of the detour adds a negligible distance as Highway 1 and Highway 101 run parallel. Since 101 tends to be a faster drive, you really won't lose much more than an hour or so of time.

If you really want to be a completionist and see all of the open parts of Highway 1, you could also turn north on Highway 1 from where 46 comes back to the coast and drive the 24 or so miles to Ragged Point and then turn back south. That short round trip of less than 50 miles does go past Cambria, San Simeon, Hearst Castle and the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal viewing area. If you are looking for accommodations in this section, Cambria and the surrounding area has a selection of nice places. The drive along San Simeon Bay is quite pretty and the historic little village of San Simeon is fun to visit if only to go into the old general store and see the 100 year-old one-room schoolhouse. Some nice sunset pictures can be found at the San Simeon pier.

All in all, you would only be going about 48 miles out of your way plus less than 50 miles of optional backtracks at each end of the detour. Frankly, I think the round trip backtrack from Monterey/Carmel up to Big Sur and back would probably be a bit of a waste but the 45 mile or so loop north to Ragged Point from Cambria would be an hour well spent. As I mentioned, the faster driving on 101 would negate some of that extra hour.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Originally Posted by dhuey
Yep, it's really sad. For a lot of folks, this summer's tourism season is going to be a complete bust.

We will still try to drive a part of the road in april.. Tips welcome.. discounts too
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I mapped the two points, Palo Colorado at the north end and Ragged Point at the south, mentioned in the initial report in the other thread. (Google Maps won't map the route via Hwy 1 anymore.) https://goo.gl/maps/LsxatYUiHWk

The detour inland isn't too bad. Enjoy the view of miles and miles of farm fields and a few oil derricks!

If you're Catholic and/or enjoy adobe architecture, there are a handful of California missions along that stretch of El Camino Real/Hwy 101. http://www.californiamissionguide.co...a-mission-map/
Attached Images  
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:46 am
Suspended

So this basically means skipping Big Sur completely, and missing the entire section from Monterey to Big Sur? Isn't that the best part?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Platinum
I live on the Oregon coast, and while it can be rainy in the winter, the fog is mostly limited to the Willamette Valley. We get fog primarily in the summer when the Valley heat draws the cool air over the coast. The winter storm will whip up great surf, and you can catch some dramatic wave on rock action. It's also whale season, bring your binoculars!

The scenic drive down the coast on 101 are between Lincoln City and Florence and between Port Orford and Brookings. The winters are slow season for hotel rooms, you shouldn't have any problems getting rooms. You can rent yurts at select Oregon state parks if you want http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cf...sp_cabinsyurts

It's been a crazy winter, it was snowing yesterday, and it is bright and sunny right now. We rarely get snow here.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this basically means skipping Big Sur completely, and missing the entire section from Monterey to Big Sur? Isn't that the best part?
In my opinion, the most spectacular part of CA Highway 1 is between the closed Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge and Ragged Point. If that portion of the road reopens by the time that you take your trip and if the weather is cooperative - you don't want to drive there while it's foggy - it is worth considering driving at least some of that stretch of road.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I addressed that above.

The section from Monterey to Big Sur is only about 25 miles. It is rather slow driving in places but will still only take 45 minutes or less. The only problem there is that after you have enjoyed what is still accessible of that route, you would have to turn around and drive back to near Monterey to continue your trip. If you want to see this part, it will only take <1.5 hours - a bit longer if you atop along the way for photos, meals or souvenirs.

If you are trying to make fast time on your drive, this will be a back-track. OTOH, if you are slowly working your way down the coast and enjoying the scenery, that <2 hours or so would definitely be worth the time and effort.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:34 am

Exclamation Moderator's Note:

I have done some research on the Oregon coast today, and I'm pretty sold on it.
I do like the look of the train, but looking at the schedules, it seems like there would be a lot of messing around with having to plan overnight stops, etc, as well as turning in one car in Santa Barbara and renting another in San Diego.

I'll probably just push on in the car and visit a couple of national parks on the way through California.

I love wine too, although the wineries might be a bit dodgy as a solo driver! Maybe I could pick up a few bottles to enjoy in the evenings, when the car is safely parked.

As for Oregon, should I book any accommodation in advance, or just wing it? Right now, I'm leaning towards winging it. I'm not fussy - I'm perfectly happy at EconoLodges, etc.
While I do appreciate offering and discussing alternatives to driving the closed portion of PCH, please let's continue any further discussion of the Oregon coast in the new Pacific Northwest forum.

Thank you,

TWA884

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.