FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
How busy/pricey does accommodation get at the last minute?
Except during the high season, I find that I get much better deals booking at the last minute (generally on the day of arrival and rarely earlier than the day before). I generally use the Hotwire and/or Booking.com mobile apps to search for available rooms.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thanks for the advice. I land at SFO on 12/04 and depart from SAN on 12/18. I have booked the last 3 nights in San Diego. I might just wing the rest.

As for the car, I think I'll probably go for intermediate, which is about as small as I can put up with. I'm quite used to handling large vehicles, but with the advice on the narrow lanes I think I might compromise this time.
A RAV4 size of crossover would be fine and give you a bit more visibility but it is a narrow and windy road. On the other hand, you aren't going to be driving fast (unless you like hitting walls or falling off cliffs).
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by MADPhil
A RAV4 size of crossover would be fine and give you a bit more visibility but it is a narrow and windy road. On the other hand, you aren't going to be driving fast (unless you like hitting walls or falling off cliffs).
Er no - hitting walls or falling off cliffs is not my style. Well, it hasn't been up until now, anyway! But then, there's a first time for everything, so thanks for the warning.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Quite a few people seem to be saying this. I'm doing the trip alone and I travel light, but I just don't like small cars.

However, it doesn't have to be an SUV. I'm now looking at something like the Avis Intermediate category (I don't think I can handle two weeks in a small compact). Would this work out ok for most places?
I think there's a bit of a terminology clash here. US rental car companies have inflated their categories over the past several years. What they market as compacts are models classified by the government and regarded by most consumers as a subcompact. Their intermediate/midsize is a consumer compact, and "full size" is generally just a midsize.

Any of these would be fine for driving California Highway 1. The main point is, you don't want to drive the route in an oversized, ponderous, or tippy vehicle.

Also, should I book accommodation beforehand or just wing it? On my last western road trip I prebooked about 2/3 of my nights and found it a little restrictive. How busy/pricey does accommodation get at the last minute?
You mentioned dates in December. That's enough of an off season that you can likely find accommodations at the last minute. During much of the year hotels run at or near capacity on weekends.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I think there's a bit of a terminology clash here. US rental car companies have inflated their categories over the past several years. What they market as compacts are models classified by the government and regarded by most consumers as a subcompact. Their intermediate/midsize is a consumer compact, and "full size" is generally just a midsize.

Any of these would be fine for driving California Highway 1. The main point is, you don't want to drive the route in an oversized, ponderous, or tippy vehicle.
That explains a few things. I think I might go for a "full-size", then. I'm definitely not booking compact - I'm 185cm and 110kg (6' 1" and 240lbs) and I just don't like driving around in a little tin can.

My mother drove a Fiat Seicento for a while and I very nearly smashed it up the first time I drove it - I rammed my size 13 foot on the clutch and caught the brake as well! At least I don't have to worry about clutches in America.

I drive a Peugeot 308 station wagon in real life, which is smaller than I would like, but I'm constrained by narrow European roads and high gas prices.

The last time I was in the USA I booked a "mid-size SUV" through Hertz and ended up with a Nissan Rogue, which I would describe as a small crossover, but which I was perfectly happy with for a few weeks touring.

You mentioned dates in December. That's enough of an off season that you can likely find accommodations at the last minute. During much of the year hotels run at or near capacity on weekends.
I have two weekends there. I've booked a Holiday Inn Express for the last 3 nights in San Diego (Fri 15th to Mon 18th). I'll be on the road for the previous weekend. I might just monitor hotels.com or similar for the week or so before that. Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
That explains a few things. I think I might go for a "full-size", then. I'm definitely not booking compact - I'm 185cm and 110kg (6' 1" and 240lbs) and I just don't like driving around in a little tin can.
I am of similar size. I can fit into a rental compact but it's not comfortable for longer drives and the cards are typically buzzy tin cans anyway. Unless it's cost-prohibitive I rent at least a midsize. If it's just a few dollars more I'll go for full size.

The last time I was in the USA I booked a "mid-size SUV" through Hertz and ended up with a Nissan Rogue, which I would describe as a small crossover, but which I was perfectly happy with for a few weeks touring.
A small crossover such as the Nissan Rogue or Mazda CX-5 is fine for touring the Central Coast. What you want to avoid is a full size SUV such as the Chevy Tahoe or a full size van.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Anyone planning a driving trip on Highway 1 - PCH - please note the thread below and make alternate plans.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/calif...r-big-sur.html
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Anyone planning a driving trip on Highway 1 - PCH - please note the thread below and make alternate plans.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/calif...r-big-sur.html

Thanks for this. My trip is in December so I should be ok. But I'll monitor this as the year goes on.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for this. My trip is in December so I should be ok. But I'll monitor this as the year goes on.
I am not so confident that the work will be finished by then.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:49 pm

If it were me, I would at least make a potential alternate plan. You could drive south from Monterey/Carmel to see much of Big Sur and then reverse course back toward Monterey. Take SR 68 east over the mountains to Salinas. At Salinas, take 101 south to Highway 46 (or 198 for a more challenging, windy drive) and cut back to the coast there, continuing south on 1. You would only miss a small portion of the original trip.

If the bridge is repaired, you have your original trip. If not, you have one almost as good.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If the bridge is repaired, you have your original trip. If not, you have one almost as good.
The bridge is beyond repair; it has to be demolished and replaced.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:24 pm

There is pretty much zero chance the bridge will be replaced this year.

Right now the ground is so saturated that the soil under bridge is still moving. It would be dangerous to bring in heavy equipment to demolish and remove the old bridge until the soil is stable. Then once it is stable and dries out (which could take months, given the amount of rain the state is getting) there will need to be an assessment of area to determine the best/safest place for the new bridge, keeping in mind that area is the heart of earthquake territory as well as prone to mudslides and other natural hazards.

A new bridge will need to be designed, money found to pay for it and then actual construction, which won't be easy, given the remote location and difficult terrain, can start. The process might even involve rerouting part of Hwy 1 further inland to find a stable site for a new bridge. There's been talk of that for many years.

In addition there may be other bridges along 1 that have been damaged by the heavy rains. I hope they are all carefully assessed before traffic resumes along the route.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat

I am of similar size. I can fit into a rental compact but it's not comfortable for longer drives and the cards are typically buzzy tin cans anyway. Unless it's cost-prohibitive I rent at least a midsize. If it's just a few dollars more I'll go for full size.

A small crossover such as the Nissan Rogue or Mazda CX-5 is fine for touring the Central Coast. What you want to avoid is a full size SUV such as the Chevy Tahoe or a full size van.
I drove a mid-size Ford Edge Titanium from Avis last year up the PCH. Very comfortable and good visibility over the cars going through the twisty parts.

I would definitely avoid full size simply because mpg is going to be bad going up the hills. I was getting around 23mpg and filling up every 300+ miles.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
This is really a bummer for our april trip
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Koja78
This is really a bummer for our april trip
You might want to consider the alternate route I mentioned in the other thread:

If it were me, I would at least make a potential alternate plan. You could drive south from Monterey/Carmel to see much of Big Sur and then reverse course back toward Monterey. Take SR 68 east over the mountains to Salinas. At Salinas, take 101 south to Highway 46 (or 198 for a more challenging, windy drive) and cut back to the coast there, continuing south on 1. You would only miss a small portion of the original trip.

If you will be driving north, just do the above in reverse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.