Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Thanks for the helpful thread everyone. Would this trip be worth it in January? I found some cheap airfare to LA from here and toyed with the idea of flying out on a Friday, driving up to Monterey on Saturday and Sunday, and then driving back to LAX in time for a 7:30 PM Monday night flight. I know from a little googling that January is the rainy season on the Central Coast, but would I still be getting nice views and such? (I don't mind driving in the rain). Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It is hit or miss. I have been over there in January, had great weather, and gotten some really spectacular photos. At other times I saw only the fog. The nice thing about the "off" season is that hotel rates tend to be down and crowds at attractions are low or non-existent. The aquarium at Monterey, the galleries and such in Carmel, Hearst Castle and the various other attractions along the PCH will all be fine and uncrowded. The drive might be a bit challenging if the weather isn't cooperative and I'd recommend having alternate routings planned in case of Bad Things, like a land-slide, wash-out or other impacts on Highway 1. They do get the occasional, although not common, road closure. A quick jump away from the coast and onto Highway 101 would solve that problem.

If you intend to drive all the way from Monterey to LAX for an evening departure, I'd suggest doing the return via 101 or even I-5. The PCH (Highway 1) would be too slow.

I'd say go for it. Just bring some warm clothing and weather-proof outer wear and take whatever comes. Chances are it will be fine. Even if it isn't, it'll be fun and might be an adventure.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
FWIW I did my drive in October of last year and there was a lot of rain and mist but it made the drive beautiful in a different way. I wouldn't hesitate to take the trip in January.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:37 pm

highway 1 from SF to LA in early March 2016... rent a Convertible or not?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:08 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jdmlove
highway 1 from SF to LA in early March 2016... rent a Convertible or not?
With my moderator's hat on.

You've already asked this question and received numerous opinions in this thread:
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
With my moderator's hat on.

You've already asked this question and received numerous opinions in this thread:
but am still confused if i go for convertible or not.. plus that post was too far from march 2016, we are getting closer now, so am sure the weather feedback are little bit more accurate.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:37 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdmlove
but am still confused if i go for convertible or not.. plus that post was too far from march 2016, we are getting closer now, so am sure the weather feedback are little bit more accurate.
Nothing has changed since you received that advice. If anything, the forecast calls for a strong El Niño, which means wetter-than-average conditions in central and southern California.

If you want to follow up, continue the convertible discussion in the thread where you first asked the question. There is no need to discuss the same exact thing in two separate threads.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:46 am

Nothing has changed since you received that advice. If anything, the forecast calls for a strong El Niño, which means wetter-than-average conditions in central and southern California.

If you want to follow up, continue the convertible discussion in the thread where you first asked the question. There is no need to discuss the same exact thing in two separate threads.
okay, thanx for the info.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:04 am

LA to SF using I-5; SF to LV using Route 1

Drive up to SF from LA will need to be a quick one hence will be taking I-5. While we have more time to drive down to LV from SF hence taking Route 1 to enjoy the coastal view.

Been trying to find out information regarding rest area along both routes. Been on a road trip in the UK where they have like motorway service area with gas station and food outlet. Is there similar concept in the US?

Can't seem to find such information as to where exactly all these rest areas are and what facilities and food outlets do they have.

Last edited by reddevil0728; Apr 3, 2016 at 8:21 am
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by reddevil0728
Drive up to SF from LA will need to be a quick one hence will be taking I-5. While we have more time to drive down to LV from SF hence taking Route 101 to enjoy the coastal view.

Been trying to find out information regarding rest area along both routes. Been on a road trip in the UK where they have like motorway service area with gas station and food outlet. Is there similar concept in the US?

Can't seem to find such information as to where exactly all these rest areas are and what facilities and food outlets do they have.
For the most part, US Highway 101 does not run along the coast; for spectacular coastal scenery take California Highway 1.

As for rest areas, here is a list by the CalTrans, the California Department of Transportation:
They generally do not have services other than parking and restrooms. Some have information kiosks, vending machines, and picnic areas. A few have dump stations where recreational vehicles may empty sewage holding tanks.

There are prominent signs ahead of many inter city highway exits listing available services such gasoline stations, and food and lodging facilities.

Here's an example:
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:22 am

For the most part, US Highway 101 does not run along the coast; for spectacular coastal scenery take California Highway 1.

As for rest areas, here is a list by the CalTrans, the California Department of Transportation:
. They generally do not have services other than parking and restrooms. Some have information kiosks, vending machines, and picnic areas. A few have dump stations where recreational vehicles may empty sewage holding tank.

There are prominent signs ahead of many inter city highway exits listing available services such gasoline stations, and food and lodging facilities.

Here's an example:
Oops. Yea I meant Highway 1. Thanks for correcting.

What options do I have for food outlets?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:10 am

Moderator's Note:

Since this question is about Highway 1 and not US 101, I'm going to merge this thread into the existing Highway 1 thread.

TWA884
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by reddevil0728
Oops. Yea I meant Highway 1. Thanks for correcting.

What options do I have for food outlets?
There's nothing between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. Otherwise most every town has one or two fast food places (like McDonalds).

The biggest cities along that route are Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria and Santa Barbara. They will have more of a range of dining options.

If you want to do the historic California roadside restaurant stop then go to Andersen's Pea Soup in Buellton.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Lost
There's nothing between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. Otherwise most every town has one or two fast food places (like McDonalds).

The biggest cities along that route are Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria and Santa Barbara. They will have more of a range of dining options.

If you want to do the historic California roadside restaurant stop then go to Andersen's Pea Soup in Buellton.
Need some advise on my drive from SF to LV.

The plan is to take Route 1 to have a view of the coastline. However, the drive is extremely long. Was wondering if there's a particular part of the coastline that I should hug while driving before leaving Route 1 and go onto I-5?

Currently the plan is to leave SF and hug the coastline from Pacifica to Santa Cruz, from Santa Cruz to Monterey and from Monterey all the way to Cambria before exiting onto route 46 and head to Las Vegas by the usual way had I take I-5.

I want to just have a view of the coastline and not necessary have a view throughout. Just want to have an experience.

Wondering if there’s a part of the coastline that provides a good view on leaving SF such that I can leave Route 1 after sometime and head onto I-5 without making a detour.

Will the view between Pacifica to Half Moon Bay be good enough before exiting onto Route 92 and head towards I-5?

Or should I just hug the coastline all the way from Pacifica to Santa Cruz before taking Route 101?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Lost
There's nothing between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. Otherwise most every town has one or two fast food places (like McDonalds). ...
This is just not even close to true.

There are some very nice seafood places in Morro Bay, Cambria and Cayucos and one of the better barbecue places on the coast in Cayucos (The Smokehouse.) Big Sur also has some interesting and unique places for a nice lunch, right along the highway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.