Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
SLO is inland so I doubt you'll see any elephant seals there.

And yes, I would say it's worth driving to the end of the road and driving back (at least traffic should be lighter). Same at the south end. You get to see the views from both directions.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
... also ,we are keen to see the elephant seals but know that ana nuevo will be closed for sightings when we go.. would san luis obispo be the next best place to see them? thanks!
One of the best places to watch elephant seals is the Northern Elephant Seal Rookery, which is located in San Simeon, on Highway 1 approximately 4.5 miles north of the entrance to Hearst Castle. It is approximately 40 miles north of San Luis Obispo. While in the area, you may as well take a tour of Hearst Castle and visit Cambria and Morro Bay.
corky, SPN Lifer and chrisl137 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
i booked a trip for next week driving from san jose to san luis obispo in 3 days-we only realised now that we cannot get beyond Big Sur! Stupid us! Can anyone advise if there is any point going to big sur if we cant drive past it?is it still worth it driving there and doubling back? also ,we are keen to see the elephant seals but know that ana nuevo will be closed for sightings when we go.. would san luis obispo be the next best place to see them? thanks!
I love the elephant seals. The last time I stayed in Cambria which is a cute town & close to where they are.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Highway 1 north of the Bixby Bridge has been deemed unsafe due to slip out and is closed. https://kion546.com/top-stories/2024...mised-roadway/

Edit to add photo from California Highway Patrol.

SPN Lifer and RichardInSF like this.

Last edited by boxo; Mar 30, 2024 at 9:40 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
PCH never fully reopened from the 2022 strom. Now more of it is closed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.