Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather delays this week

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Looks like I might be stuck here at LHR (I have a hotel booking for tonight in London but it might be wise to stay here). I'm wondering what will be happening to my flight to CDG tomorrow.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Another BA1A update:
Originally Posted by BA1A
At lest you can update the weather warning thread for me and report it's now been 90 mins since we landed.
Going to be a while longer as Captain has just said we can have tea or coffee and they have put the AVOD back on. Bar is sealed though so no champagne

Have reclined my seat and am thinking of getting back under my duvet!

We were one of the last to land before it closed apparently, so that was lucky! My 17.45 to MAN is still showing as on time at the moment, might just make it!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:08 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by ajax
The Northern Line is still running while every other line is down?
Isn't that because most if not all is underground. Ditto Victoria line. Most of the other lines poke their nose above ground from time to time and snow and third rail electrics don't mix too well. The damp soggy stuff tends to get under the collector shoe causing huge arcing and burning smells!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ajax
The Northern Line is still running while every other line is down?
As of 09:00, all lines have severe delays/are part suspended except the Victoria and Waterloo & City lines, which have a good service but will be suffering delays later as more people use them. The Circle and Hammersmith & City lines are suspended.

Paddington station is closed with all tube services into/out of Paddington non-operational.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Feb 2, 2009 at 2:12 am Reason: Add the word tube
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OPebble
Isn't that because most if not all is underground. Ditto Victoria line. Most of the other lines poke their nose above ground from time to time and snow and third rail electrics don't mix too well. The damp soggy stuff tends to get under the collector shoe causing huge arcing and burning smells!
Large chunks of the High Barnet/Edgeware branches are above ground (and the highest bridge on the tube is part of the Mill Hill East branch). Morden is also on the surface. On that basis, the Northern has done well.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:14 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Doesn't explain the Waterloo and City line being closed earlier this morning: only two stops, a couple of miles of track, all underground!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Office almost empty here, outside of Reading, 1 in 4 people have made it in. No traffic jams or delays for me, I work 5 minutes walk from home , my Kili walking boots came in handy this morning. But everyone is speculating in our office how well the remote access is going to hold up.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:15 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by csdf
Doesn't explain the Waterloo and City line being closed earlier this morning: only two stops, a couple of miles of track, all underground!
No drivers/guards?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
The hotel at LHR (Sheraton Heathrow) has just informed me that there is no Hoppa bus running right now, and taxis have a 30-min delay.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Does anyone find it ironic that the BA advertising running on the sidebar shows the prices over a background of falling snow?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:31 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
No drivers/guards?
Yup, bound to be staffing issues
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:35 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
As of 09:00, all lines have severe delays/are part suspended except the Victoria and Waterloo & City lines, which have a good service but will be suffering delays later as more people use them. The Circle and Hammersmith & City lines are suspended.

Paddington station is closed with all tube services into/out of Paddington non-operational.
That might be the official line, but I got the Central Line from East London - even got a seat - and it went straight into the City at 8:00 this morning. No delays. Nothing. Ran like clockwork.

It's very hit-or-miss.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:37 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Isn't that because most if not all is underground. Ditto Victoria line. Most of the other lines poke their nose above ground from time to time and snow and third rail electrics don't mix too well.
Every station on the Northern Line from Morden to East Finchley/Golders Green is indeed underground, but the depot in Morden where they store the trains is certainly above ground and exposed to the elements.

I remember several snowstorms when living in South London and the Northern Line was always the first to suffer.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
And meanwhile, I have to drive from Edinburgh to Chester, and it's virtually impossible to get any traffic information because (of course) all the stations are just talking about the SE and broadcasting 'don't go out unless you have to' warnings as if they applied across the entire UK

From that I'll have to assume that the roads up here are ok (we've hardly any snow, but then I'm on the coast in Edinburgh, so it's never a good place to judge) and risk the A71
The M8 took two hours to get in from the A71 at Shotts to M8 J1, so I would suspect that you will get going eventually but it will take a while.

I'm supposed to be flying EDI-MAN tonight, most likely I'll probably end up driving as well ... listening all the while to the radio reports that the civilised world has come to an end as there is a little bit of snow in the South East.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
LHR:
Cyprus airways plane has slipped off the taxiway at LHR.
passengers all ok, just going to add to the delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.