Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather delays this week

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
At least an inch of snow in this part of west London and it's still snowing quite heavily. I think I might be walking to work tomorrow (it's only 3 miles, so probably the easiest way of getting there if the tube has packed up).
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
I wonder what the best course of action is tomorrow then - I'm booked on a 7am cab to T5 and then flight out at 9am.

Should i even bother trying to get there or just stay home? Is the HEX more likely to get me to LHR than a cab? Or should i just rebook my flight for the evening (flex ticket)?

Have meetings tomorrow but can do them by phone, but do need to get to my destination by Tue.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by silvergirl
I wonder what the best course of action is tomorrow then - I'm booked on a 7am cab to T5 and then flight out at 9am.

Should i even bother trying to get there or just stay home? Is the HEX more likely to get me to LHR than a cab? Or should i just rebook my flight for the evening (flex ticket)?

Have meetings tomorrow but can do them by phone, but do need to get to my destination by Tue.
It might be worth having a look at the Heathrow Express and BA websites before setting out to see if the train is running and to check the status of your flight. I would allow plenty of time in bad weather!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Hi silvergirl
I guess a lot depends on whether it snows even more tonight, how far you have to travel to get to the airport and what your destination is.

My first thought was to postpone your trip until later in the day, but the forecast for tomorrow is probably worse than today's so the situation could worsen during the day rather than get better.

Maybe try and get your flight in the morning, then hopefully you'd get away at some point in the day even if the flight is delayed (which it could well be under the circumstances).

I think the HEX or tube would be better than car with the roads as bad as they are.

Good luck
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
any idea where all the diversions, BA and others have gone?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:22 pm

According to ba.com, 4 went to Bournemouth, 2 to Stansted, 1 to Birmingham and 1 to Heathrow at least.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Originally Posted by silvergirl

I've got an 11am from T5 and am being picked up at 7.45am (normally a 45 minute journey).
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
All London buses have been suspended.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...s/default.html

Originally Posted by TFL website
ALL LONDON BUSES HAVE BEEN WITHDRAWN FROM SERVICE DUE TO ADVERSE WEATHER AND DANGEROUS ROAD CONDITIONS.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:57 pm

Blimey it must be 4 inches deep here in Brighton and its still snowing! Certainly the worst snow I can remember since I was a kid! Back to bed me thinks!

Heathrow is closed according to flow control in Brussels, but interestingly planes are still landing... and taking off! BA157 to Kuwait from last night just got airborne at 0408!

TACT/CASA MESSAGE : XCD - CLOSURE
---------------------------------
REF : ZERO RATE AT LONDON HEATHROW.
DUE TO : HEAVY SNOW
REG ID : EGLL02E
VALID : WEF: 0420 UNTIL: 0900 UTC
TFC : TRAFFIC SUSPENDED BY THE EGLL02E REGULATION

Last edited by koksy; Feb 1, 2009 at 10:08 pm
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:18 pm

My flights already estimated at 4 hours 20 late at 15.38....so if I leave now, I think I've left enough time to travel steadily :-) Am going to have to test that T1 *Alliance lounge "subject to capacity" rule today I suspect.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:24 pm
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
The BA and BAA website have lots of cancellations showing and quite a few delayed late flights from yesterday, but nothing to suggest the whole field is closed - indeed, there've been a few arrivals already.

Judging by the roads in Shepherd's Bush last night though, London may well be near-paralysed this morning.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:36 pm

Notice on BA.com now:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e=RTAD_disrupt

"Flight disruption due to severe weather in UK
Last updated 05:18 UK time

Flights to and from all London airports, especially London City and Heathrow, are subject to delays and cancellations.

Please check the status of your flight before leaving for the airport.

If you are from London Heathrow today, you can contact us rebook to a later date. Our UK office is open from 6am. If you travelling within UK or Europe, you can request a refund if you do not wish to rebook to a later date."

I'm due to leave in a cab to LHR in 40min - not sure if it's a good idea but right now my flight is showing as to depart on time (08:55).
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:40 pm

Latest from flow control in Brussels... they still think LHR (EGLL) is closed along with LCY (EGLC) and STN (EGSS).

HIGH DELAY INFO IN LONDON AREA
Valid from: 2009-02-02
until: 2009-02-02
Released: 2009-02-02 05:22:24

HIGH DELAY INFO MESSAGE
======================

SUBJECT: HIGH DELAYS IN LONDON TERMINAL AREA
OPERATORS AND ATC UNITS ARE ADVISED THAT THERE ARE HIGH DELAYS
FOR ALL TRAFFIC DESTINATION LONDON AERODROMES.
THESE DELAYS ARE CAUSED BY HEAVY SNOW.
IN EGLL / EGLC AND EGSS THERE IS ALSO A ZERO RATE REGULATION TO
ALLOW RWY CLEANING.
WE ARE MONITORING THE SITUATION AND WILL ADVISE OF ANY POSSIBLE
IMPROVEMENTS.
IN THE MEANTIME OPERATORS ARE KINDLY REQUESTED NOT TO CALL FMD
HELPDESK UNLESS VERY CRITICAL SLOT SITUATION
CFMU OPSD, BRUSSELS.

XCD NEW FOR EGLC
Released: 2009-02-02 05:32:46

TACT/CASA MESSAGE: XCD
----------------------
REF : SNOW AT EGLC
REG ID : EGLCA02
VALID : WIE: UNTIL: 1000 UTC
REMARKS : EGLC CLOSED. ALL FLIGHTS SHIFTED TO ARRIVE AFTER 1000 UTC AT EGLC.

CFMU OPERATIONS DIVISION-BRUSSELS

XCD NEW FOR EGSS
Released: 2009-02-02 05:34:13

TACT/CASA MESSAGE: XCD
----------------------
REF : SNOW AT EGSS
REG ID : EGSS02
VALID : WIE: UNTIL: 1200 UTC
REMARKS : EGSS CLOSED. ALL FLIGHTS SHIFTED TO ARRIVE AFTER 1200 UTC AT EGSS.
CFMU OPERATIONS DIVISION-BRUSSELS
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have been trying since 4.30 to dig my way out of my drive, which I managed. My road if blocked so have given up and going back to bed. Another CSD will be called out now, sorry I really tried my best.
CIHY
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:16 pm

looks like most flights before 9am out of T5 have been cancelled. Mine has just moved to a 4pm departure... Ah well, i guess i will stay home for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.