Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather delays this week

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
5cm of snow here at Gatwick, and lots more to follow (according to the Met men over at the airport!)

I would not like to be setting off anywhere in the next 24hrs!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Just come out of the Clapham Picturehouse having watched the excellent Frost/Nixon (nice shots of a BA 747-100 with upper deck bar in it too) and it's obviously been snowing for most of the 2 hours we were in there, as about 2 cms on the ground now. And it's now snowing heavily.

Commute is going to be fun in the morning!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Yup, lots of lovely snow here in Westminster.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
using this as a test

Last edited by allthebestnameshavegone; Feb 2, 2009 at 1:03 am Reason: forgot the link
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Well it's just taken me 90 minutes to get from LGW to home. It normally takes 15-20 minutes. The above photo of the M25 doesn't show how seriously treacherous it is, and traffic is barely moving between junctions 5 and 7. The side roads around here are hellish. I need a vodka, or three
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Just drove from Ealing to South East London - pretty terrible snow, especially off the main roads. Traction warning lights appeared on car, and now understand those 'treacherous road' videos on the most dangerous drivers...

Don't drive in the snow if you can avoid it, it's hideous.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

No snow yet up here in Scotland but the pictures look horrendous.

Good luck to all travelling tonight and tomorrow.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: Virgin Silver, BA Blue, HHonors, Priority Club
Nothing up here in NCL yet for the person who was making their way to this outpost of western civilisation. Just a couple of very short flurries.

Sounds pretty bad in Kent, used to live on top of the Weald and our record was 6 ft of snow one year, remember having to walk through 5ft snowdrifts after a concert..

Hope everyone gets where they need to be safely, even if it takes a wee bit longer.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:03 pm

REF : CLOSURE OF AIRPORT EGKK (Gatwick)
DUE TO : SNOW
REG ID : EGKKA01L
VALID : WEF: 2000 UNTIL: 2200 UTC
TFC : DESTINATION EGKK
REMARKS : -FLIGHTS INTENDING TO OPERATE AFTER THE CLOSURE MUST
SEND AN FCM AND WILL RECEIVE A SAM/SRM ACCORDING TO
THE RE-OPENING TIME. FCM MUST CONTAIN THE REGULATION
ID
-FLIGHTS DIVERTING AND NOT YET DEPARTED MUST CNL THE
FPL AND RE-FILE TO ALTERNATE AERODROME
-FLIGHTS NOT INTENDING TO OPERATE MUST CNL THEIR
FPL BY SENDING A CNL MESSAGE.
CFMU OPERATIONS DIVISION-BRUSSELS.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
LCY is looking like a bit of a disaster zone. Most flights diverted or cancelled.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:12 pm

The view from my balcony in Brighton- still snowing.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/koksy/snow1.jpg

Last edited by koksy; Feb 1, 2009 at 3:43 pm
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AClub Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Silver, SPG, others
Thumbs down Stranded in Bournemouth

Hello from Bournemouth. I'm on the diverted BA8087 from DUB. Apparently due to BAA ground staff incompetence at LGW, an incorrect de-icer mixture was sprayed on the runway at LGW, causing it to freeze. LGW is closed until 2115 at the earliest. Many flights diverted to Bournemouth. We were apparently the second.

Decided against the option of de-planing and getting the train (I don't have hold baggage and those who don't were given the option. In the end, none took it). Hope I won't regret it! A friend of mine is sitting on a Malev flight to BUD at LGW. They boarded just before the closure. He's tucking in to a salami sandwich (apparently it's not very nice) and some apple juice. We're having OJ and water.

In other fantastic news, I'm due to be on the 0725 to NCL from LHR in the morning. Now for a fun game: What do you think my chances are of a) getting to LGW before 2300, b) getting any sleep tonight and c) getting to NCL before 0900 tomorrow morning. Place your bets now! A quantity of kudos to the FTer who gets closest to the correct answer!

Update at 2115: latest from the captain is that the runway will reopen at 2200. Update from the crew is that it's the 3rd time in 2 months that the same de-icer issue has occured at LGW.

Last edited by Icarusian; Feb 1, 2009 at 2:16 pm Reason: Updated information
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mad_rich
Hmm. Txl-lhr-ncl in a couple of hours. Wish me luck.

Light flurries here in Berlin.
Well, first leg went surprisingly well. Only an hour sat on the ground at txl waiting for atc slot.

Currently on-board the ncl-bound aircraft and about to enjoy a full meal and bar service without the inconvenience of having to take to the skies! Kudos to the captain for addressing us in the cabin to tell us we are #16 for deicing.

P.S. BA97 is 2 rows ahead of me. His estimate of a 2110 departure is looking somewhat optimistic.

Good luck to krug, who is somewhere in galleries n awaiting the edi.

Last edited by mad_rich; Feb 1, 2009 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by koksy
REF : CLOSURE OF AIRPORT EGKK (Gatwick)
DUE TO : SNOW
Not in the least surprised. You could barely see in front of you when I left due to blizzard type conditions.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Icarusian
Apparently due to BAA ground staff incompetence at LGW, an incorrect de-icer mixture was sprayed on the runway at LGW, causing it to freeze
Sorry? Potentaily AGAIN? Was this not (AFAIK) what happened the other week causing LGW to be closed first thing in the morning after a BA 777 nearly ended up overshooting the runway, with massive disruption resulting? If so, just W.T.F are BAA playing at? From what I heard, massive doo-doo had hit the fan the first time? Maybe someone at LGW can confirm if this is the case?

Good luck to you getting home (and/or to NCL tomorrow if you dare!).

Last edited by G-BOAC; Feb 1, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.