Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather delays this week

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY
I was told at the airport in Helsinki that LHR is closed until noon (Finnish time I guess, so that would be 10:00 UK time). Passengers with connecting flights were rerouted via other airports. Preferred to fly to BOS tomorrow instead of flying with SAS (no TPs or miles if rerouted outside OW, right?), but who knows what tomorrow brings...
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Due to local weather conditions London City Airport is currently closed until further notice.
M25 gridlocked in places, SE trains have canceled all trains into London, all London buses canceled and this before the main snow event due 9am around London.

Good luck if your driving, keep safe.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by allthebestnameshavegone
Due to local weather conditions London City Airport is currently closed until further notice.
M25 gridlocked in places, SE trains have canceled all trains into London, all London buses canceled and this before the main snow event due 9am around London.

Good luck if your driving, keep safe.
Here are the current updates coming into the office, where it's brass monkeys and coming down thick and crisp and even.

First Great Western:
Reading to Gatwick Airport - trains will start/end at Redhill.
West of England and South Wales to London Paddington - trains will start/end at Reading
South West Trains:
A reduced service is in operation on most routes and passengers are advised not to travel unless their journey is essential
Southeastern:
All services are currently suspended until further notice
Southern - Disruption Summary:
The following services are suspended: Brighton to Seaford, Lewes to Keymer Junction, Redhill to Tonbridge

STN:
The runway is still closed. Ryanair have started cancelling first wave of flights and rebooking passengers.

Snow factoid:The BBC weather centre says this is the heaviest snowfall the south-east of England has seen in 18 years.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
And meanwhile, I have to drive from Edinburgh to Chester, and it's virtually impossible to get any traffic information because (of course) all the stations are just talking about the SE and broadcasting 'don't go out unless you have to' warnings as if they applied across the entire UK

From that I'll have to assume that the roads up here are ok (we've hardly any snow, but then I'm on the coast in Edinburgh, so it's never a good place to judge) and risk the A71
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

I've updated post 1, i will try and keep this up to date (work permitted)

***** UPDATED 06:45 *******

LHR
Due to the current adverse weather conditions at Heathrow Airport, flights to and from the airport today will be subject to significant delays and cancellations. Please check with your airline for the latest information before leaving for the airport. With bus and rail services affected and difficult road conditions across the country, please take extra care and time if you do intend travelling to the airport.
http://www.heathrowairport.com/

STN
The runway is still closed. Ryanair have started cancelling first wave of flights and rebooking passengers.

LCY
http://www.londoncityairport.com/

LGW
Due to adverse weather conditions, airport operations at Gatwick are currently being affected. Flights may be subject to delay and cancellation and passengers are advised to check with their airline for further information.
http://www.gatwickairport.com/

First Great Western:
Reading to Gatwick Airport - trains will start/end at Redhill.
West of England and South Wales to London Paddington - trains will start/end at Reading
South West Trains:
A reduced service is in operation on most routes and passengers are advised not to travel unless their journey is essential
Southeastern:
All services are currently suspended until further notice
Southern - Disruption Summary:
The following services are suspended: Brighton to Seaford, Lewes to Keymer Junction, Redhill to Tonbridge

London Buses
ALL LONDON BUSES HAVE BEEN WITHDRAWN FROM SERVICE DUE TO ADVERSE WEATHER AND DANGEROUS ROAD CONDITIONS.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...s/default.html

Tubes
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...e/default.html
Tube lines

Bakerloo
Part suspended

BAKERLOO LINE: Suspended between Queens Park and Harrow and Wealdstone with severe delays on the rest of the line due to adverse weather conditions.

BAKERLOO LINE: Suspended between Queens Park and Harrow and Wealdstone with severe delays on the rest of the line due to adverse weather conditions.

Central
Good service
Circle
Suspended

CIRCLE AND HAMMERSMITH & CITY LINES: Suspended due to adverse weather conditions.

District
Part suspended

DISTRICT LINE: Suspended between Edgware Road and Wimbledon due to adverse weather conditions.

DISTRICT LINE: Suspended between Earls Court and Kensington Olympia due to adverse weather conditions.

DISTRICT LINES: Minor delays are occurring due to the adverse weather conditions.

DISTRICT LINE: Suspended between Earls Court and Richmond due to adverse weather conditions.

DISTRICT LINE: Suspended between Earls Court and Ealing Broadway due to adverse weather conditions.

See how we are transforming the Tube
H'smith & City
Suspended

CIRCLE AND HAMMERSMITH & CITY LINES: Suspended due to adverse weather conditions.

Jubilee
Part suspended

JUBILEE LINE: Suspended between Waterloo and Willesden Green with severe delays on the rest of the line due to adverse weather conditions.

Metropolitan
Part suspended

METROPOLITAN LINE: Suspended between Harrow on the Hill and Amersham/Chesham due to adverse weather conditions.

METROPOLITAN LINE: Suspended between Harrow on the Hill and Amersham/Chesham due to adverse weather conditions.

METROPOLITAN LINE: Minor delays are occurring due to adverse weather conditions.

Northern
Good service
Piccadilly
Part suspended

PICCADILLY LINE: Suspended between Acton Town and Rayners Lane with minor delays on the rest of the line due to adverse weather conditions.

PICCADILLY LINE: Suspended between Acton Town and Rayners Lane with minor delays on the rest of the line due to adverse weather conditions.

Victoria
Good service
Waterloo & City
Suspended

Hat tip Lorkers
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
And meanwhile, I have to drive from Edinburgh to Chester, and it's virtually impossible to get any traffic information because (of course) all the stations are just talking about the SE

From that I'll have to assume that the roads up here are ok (we've hardly any snow, but then I'm on the coast in Edinburgh, so it's never a good place to judge) and risk the A71
try www.trafficengland.co.uk Jenbel - i beleive theres a scottish equivalent too...
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:57 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
According to the Beeb LHR has one runway closed for the Conga line to do snow clearance - at the rate it is falling here to the West of LHR that is going to be a never ending job!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by koksy
try www.trafficengland.co.uk Jenbel - i beleive theres a scottish equivalent too...
Cheers for that, but server seems to be too busy to respond.

Well, I have a decent hire car, a selection of additional warm clothing, an overnight bag in case it all goes tits up and a fair bit of experience of driving in snow. Let's hope its not needed!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Morning everyone!

Still snowing heavily here in SW4. My transportation method of choice, the seductively named La Ligne du Nord is one of only 3 London Underground lines that is not either "part suspended" or "suspended." I am admiring its fortitude for once.

Still snowing, and has been all night. I think today is going to be quite quiet in the office...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:18 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I assume I am one of the lucky ones in that my flight from HKG arrived on time and they finally managed to get our bags off it after an hour. Now I am encamped in the Arrivals lounge hoping thing will clear a bit so my wife can come and get me....
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:21 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I assume I am one of the lucky ones in that my flight from HKG arrived on time and they finally managed to get our bags off it after an hour. Now I am encamped in the Arrivals lounge hoping thing will clear a bit so my wife can come and get me....
By Wednesday I understand!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:31 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
HEX suspended as well now

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/ServiceUpdates.asp?SID={A3A346B7-F57B-4BD9-98A9-38C63F3A45CE}&SUID=486&type=0

02 February 2009
Services suspended. Due to severe weather conditions there are currently no services operating on Heathrow Express. A very limited service is operating on Heathrow Connect trains to/from Heathrow and Paddington.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silvergirl
HEX suspended as well now

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/ServiceUpdates.asp?SID={A3A346B7-F57B-4BD9-98A9-38C63F3A45CE}&SUID=486&type=0

02 February 2009
Services suspended. Due to severe weather conditions there are currently no services operating on Heathrow Express. A very limited service is operating on Heathrow Connect trains to/from Heathrow and Paddington.

Many thanks - added this to post 1
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:41 am

Programs: Shiny metal ones that go clink.
Latest update:

Stansted's runway is now open

SOU - now closed.

LBA - Open but huge delays
http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk

M25 - closed Jn 9 to Jn 5 anticlock, 8 to 9 clock, due to drifting snow and abandoned cars. Forget getting to LGW by car then!
The A27 in the Hollingbury and Falmer areas of Brighton is impassable after seven articulated lorries became stranded in the drift.
Sky reporting that the M3 is blocked north of Winchester, but it seems to be moving - admittedly at 5mph - on my screens.

If you're driving, can I recommend:
http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/home.php
It's brilliant - or it would be if it didn't show the M25 coming to a grinding halt.

Latest Factoid:
MeteoGroup, the Press Association's weather division, said up to 10cm of snow had already fallen in some parts of Greater London, with 13cm reported near Stansted and 6cm at Heathrow Airport.

Oh, and sadly we can't take away the pain with a punt on the horses:
- This afternoon's meeting at Southwell has been abandoned due to snow
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:41 am

A friend landed at LHR from Chicago over an hour ago and is still sitting on the plane waiting for a parking stand. He tells me the captain came on and said that crew can't get to work so the outbound flights are stuck on the stand. They have just been told to taxi over to T4! 46 BA flights cancelled- and thats just before 9am! How long before BA suspend ops for today do you reckon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.