Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather delays this week

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:30 am

Plane slips at Heathrow taxiway

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7864546.stm

On a personal note, not an ounce of snow here yet in the West Country. Its due tonight, here's hoping!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:33 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I can remember 1982, 1989 and 1991 and things were no different then. 6 inches of settled snow in Central London is very unusual and I can see why things have gone wrong. In fact I am pleasantly surprised how much of the tube is running.

Rather than investing in equipment for a once a year event, I'd rather the cash was spent sorting out mixed mode for LHR which would be a permanent investment, or more capacity on the tube.
^
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Watching my radarbox (decodes aircraft location coordinates to produce a real time map of air traffic in the surrounding area) located in the Durham Dales, it is extraordinary to see, for example, BA284 (SFO-LHR) heading north into I suspect Prestwick, BA182 (JFK-LHR) also heading in the same direction, BA252 (NAS-LHR) heading towards Newcastle I think (actually just about to go over my house, but lost in the snow). It's going to take a while to sort out this mess.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
BBC news24 now reporting all flights in and out of T5 cancelled until further notice.

You can watch live (if your in the UK )
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7459669.stm
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:38 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Originally Posted by BRSlad
BBC says CY was the last aeroplane to land before LHR was closed.

Whereas BAA website http://www.heathrowairport.com/ says:
CY332 Landed 0820
CO28 Landed 0824
BD896 Landed 0827
AC848 Landed 0830
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:39 am

Programs: BA
Can anyone see what the overnight forecast looks like?

I am supposed to be on tomorrow's LH flight to FRA at 6.35 connecting to Delhi. I was originally booked on tonight's BA flight but cancelled that a few weeks ago.

Mother nature? pah! I suspect it's just the members of Plane Stupid on the East coast with a massive snow machine....

Last edited by baggageinhall; Feb 2, 2009 at 3:47 am Reason: I am on tomorrow's flight, not today!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:40 am

reporting from T5

Am in T5 Flounge now after standing in line for 2hrs getting rebooked. And there were only 4 people in front of me! Most systems are down or are so slow that rebooking + printing a hotel voucher is taking a really long time. The line behind me (airside at the larger customer services desk) must have had around 500 people.

I missed my connceting flight last night, was rebooked to 7am this morning and the flight was still looking to go (as one of the few). Last minute the captain came up to the gate to let us know that they were grounding all flights to be able to clear the incoming flights - these were delayed and circling for 1.5 hrs above London.

I talked to one passenger who told me he was scheduled to depart last night around 9pm to fly to Buenes Aires. His flight was loaded and they sat around till 4am when the captain announced that the flight had been cancelled. The crew than server dinner and offloaded everybody at 5am...

Now off to get a coffee...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Teece
Some good news from BA1A on BA138 - whilst the bar remains sealed, the crew have broken out the Charbonnel et Walker choc
He might be better off where he is - he told me yesterday he only had a jacket and a scarf, no coat.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
He might be better off where he is - he told me yesterday he only had a jacket and a scarf, no coat.
He's now on stand at T5C, but has been waiting for steps for nearly an hour. His suggestion that they use the emergency slides hasn't been taken up. Yet.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by stowaway
Am in T5 Flounge now after standing in line for 2hrs getting rebooked. And there were only 4 people in front of me! Most systems are down or are so slow that rebooking + printing a hotel voucher is taking a really long time. The line behind me (airside at the larger customer services desk) must have had around 500 people.

I missed my connceting flight last night, was rebooked to 7am this morning and the flight was still looking to go (as one of the few). Last minute the captain came up to the gate to let us know that they were grounding all flights to be able to clear the incoming flights - these were delayed and circling for 1.5 hrs above London.

I talked to one passenger who told me he was scheduled to depart last night around 9pm to fly to Buenes Aires. His flight was loaded and they sat around till 4am when the captain announced that the flight had been cancelled. The crew than server dinner and offloaded everybody at 5am...

Now off to get a coffee...
I just spent 3 and a half hours quing in EDI to be-book so now waiting until 4pm to fly EDI -CPH. Latest appears to be all BA flights cancelled until 5pm.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by StevieJ
I just spent 3 and a half hours quing in EDI to be-book so now waiting until 4pm to fly EDI -CPH. Latest appears to be all BA flights cancelled until 5pm.
Mind you as we speak blizzard conditions outside EDI right now.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:09 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
The snow has started again in West London.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:11 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Can anyone see what the overnight forecast looks like?

I am supposed to be on tomorrow's LH flight to FRA at 6.35 connecting to Delhi. I was originally booked on tonight's BA flight but cancelled that a few weeks ago.

Mother nature? pah! I suspect it's just the members of Plane Stupid on the East coast with a massive snow machine....
BA.COM currently showing all > FRA flights cancelled except for BA916 at 19:40 estimated i.e. will be cancelled!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:13 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
The snow has started again in West London.
West of LHR snow has stopped and there is a funny yellow thing just showing through the clouds. Snow starting to melt on cars etc! ^
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
any idea where all the diversions into london today have gone ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.