Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by champignon
They also get to pass through private terminals where those of lower station don't intrude on their personal space. I might advise this to some individuals on this thread who would prefer to avoid mixing with the great unwashed.
If I wanted to see belly buttons I'd go to Spearmint Rhino, not an airport.
ajamieson, ratechaser and Gallus1 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:42 pm

Okay, let’s cut to the chase. What about farting into the sofa’s cushions? Who gently raises his left buttock, sighs with the twin relief of getting rid of a bit of wind silently and settles back to a level disposition to scoff a pie, down a snifter or have an important conversation on speaker setting.

Who then relishes settling on the same sofa? Give me feet anytime.
bafan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Stil
So all the autrage about (an Americans) manners when visiting Britain sounds a bit hollow to me. It's after all just a pair socks on a sofa, not people trying to hit the pool with beer bottles from 10th floor at 5 in the morning.
Socks belong in shoes.... Can you honestly say you wouldn't mind smelling someone's stale feet as you sip your espresso martini?
​​​​​​
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Give me feet anytime.
So now the CCR has descended into Foot Fetishists Anonymous
LETTERBOY and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by labdoctor
So now the CCR has descended into Foot Fetishists Anonymous
Not that there's anything wrong with it of course, but should I ever run into anyone with a foot fetish, I'll encourage them to join FT post haste...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ok, let me get this straight. Some of you guys are arguing or suggesting that 1) the CCR as a private club type of establishment shouldn't have a right to set house rules as they deem fitting, and 2) it's acceptable for a person to take of his/her shoes and plop on any sofa in any environment.

Ah, hogwash.

I don't see anyone arguing that, so much as noting that treating this as some great offense and decline of society seems a bit overblown, and that the degree of ...vindictiveness...for this minor infraction and two-sentence response seems wholly uncalled for. Linking this to people wearing shorts on planes? Come on.

There are many house rules violated on a daily basis, probably some by participants in this very thread.
GUWonder, wrp96 and Stil like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Mar 28, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by champignon
69 Posts above this one about nothing of any importance.

God knows how many posts a thread about a random farting passenger might attract
Perish the thought, you will cause an uproar.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:21 pm

General comment please don't take it in a personal way, your comment just made me reflect.

For some reason it seems that some people here are, as previously stated, tip toing around something related to foreigners and manners.
I think the sense of cultural superiority is quite clear, and to me reflects worse breeding then someone putting their feet on the couch.
Stil likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:23 pm

I think the rot started when some people thought it permissable to wear shorts or beachwear on an aircraft
Ah yes, miss the days where everyone was in business casual or business professional even.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
No feet on couches was another reason for that whole 1776 thing...
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:25 pm

In the Southern part of the USA, you would get a swift kick in the pants or slapped hard for putting your feet on the furniture. It is pretty obvious some people have no upbringing or even consideration for others, much less respect. This is not a British thing, this is a respect thing. One that most people with respectable parents taught them early in life.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:33 pm

Socks belong in shoes.... Can you honestly say you wouldn't mind smelling someone's stale feet as you sip your espresso martini?
​​​​​​
Depends on which number martini and who's feet

Seriously, of course I would mind! I am not advokating for people putting their stinky feet in the face of others!
I'm also not advokating for people not following the directions of BA staff, no matter what their personal beliefs on the subject are.

For your question I'll use my self as an example. I have had a pair of clean indoor socks wollen/running with me for lounge use as long as I can remember. So after I have had a shower in the lounge, I've changed to these socks for comfort. This has proven to be a miracle worker for wellbeing on my trips which is approx. 90% longhaul with one or more connections.
Some of these trips has historically left me nearly numb of tiredness and if there hasn't been a viable alternative for sleeping in the lounge, you could be sure that I would use a sofa for resting. And of course being respectful and not taking up space if others need it and so on.

What im advokating for is a bit more nuance in the arguments which I find totally lacking and made from people which I suspect predominantly fly from point A to point B with no fatique and not from point A to B to C to D. Which the lack of proper resting chairs in the CCR could indicate.

To me a lounge is a extended tool for work and unfortunately not a place for gacing at other people's habitus or EDIT: too many espresso martinis. I basically just wanna be left alone in my cocoon. Trying not to bother anybody with my clean socks.

​​​​​​
pogonation, Adam1222 and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Stil; Mar 28, 2023 at 6:29 pm
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
In the Southern part of the USA, you would get a swift kick in the pants or slapped hard for putting your feet on the furniture. It is pretty obvious some people have no upbringing or even consideration for others, much less respect. This is not a British thing, this is a respect thing. One that most people with respectable parents taught them early in life.
And in many parts of the USA, you would get a swift kick in the pants for making sweeping statements about people who wear shorts, or starting a thread castigating someone who uttered two sentences when told they were violating a rule. Indeed, in many parts of the world, judgment about whether people had "respectable parents" would be seen as remarkably uncouth and disrespectful.

I'd hope people here can distinguish between the question of whether it's wrong to put unsocked feet on a couch, and that of whether the tone of the discussion is problematic. Both can be true
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by KARFA
At a guess because they heard the voice?

EDIT: and by that i mean accent rather than volume
Or both!
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
General comment please don't take it in a personal way, your comment just made me reflect.

... not people trying to hit the pool with beer bottles from 10th floor at 5 in the morning.
How successful were you in hitting the pool??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.