Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
It would be nice if footstools or ottomans were available so that people could put their feet up without thinking they can put them up on the sofas.
When I started using the CCR at Terminal 5 Heathrow, there were a generous amount of chairs with footstools. I seem to recall a row of seats where people could lounge with their feet up on the terrace front. In addition, comfortable chairs with footstools could be found in the main area. Versions of this seating remained following redecoration but there are fewer than in the early years. I dislike the placing of small tables and chairs on the terrace and the 'buffet' offering.

The sooner the Cabanas are refurbished and back the better. Tired travellers like comfort and British Airways encouraged people to put their weary feet up in the past.

The Concorde Room chairs with footstools.
orbitmic, joejet, becks1 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I shall be in the CCR on Wednesday evening and will pay special attention to passengers' footwear etiquette. Naturally, my feet will be kept firmly on the ground and shoed at all times.
Gallus1 and adambrau like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:35 pm
formerly JackDann

This is one of those British etiquette / culture things. Not the same for all of us, but i’d say most people who were brought up well were taught not to put feet on furniture.

It’d be nice if it’s respected.
Gallus1 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
I just knew what the reaction to this thread would be after I saw the initial post - this is, of course, the *British* Airways forum, so attitudes firmly stuck in the 1950s, stiff upper lip and ‘it’s just not cricket’ etc…

And, seriously, I don’t think besocked feet are any less hygienic than someone’s clothed backside.
mnhusker and adambrau like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by JD1905
This is one of those British etiquette / culture things. Not the same for all of us, but i’d say most people who were brought up well were taught not to put feet on furniture.

It’d be nice if it’s respected.
I spent a good number of years in Britain from nursery to A levels at boarding school. I perfectly well understand "British" culture/etiquette and it is not monolithic and certainly not the same for everyone. So if one American customer puts their feet up on the sofa in the Concorde Room creating an awkward gosh golly old chap very sorry it's just not done horror moment well so be it. No one can change that!
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I'm not sure it is a British thing. Indeed, I would imagine feet on chairs would be more of an issue in the Middle East.

I find it mildly irritating when people put feet on furniture, but I also find greedy people that take all the food from the buffet annoying.

And talking loudly with your phone on speaker or playing videos on full volume are both hanging offences.

I'm quite a chilled out person really
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:34 pm

What is so wrong with having standards and manners, irrespective of nationality or culture?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:34 pm
formerly JackDann

Just saying it’s a cultural thing (and as mentioned not just British!) no need to be so offended by it. You can choose to respect it or not but personally I feel it should be.

Don’t know why it always seems to be acceptable for the british culture of having manners to just be brushed off as ridiculous / or something that’s from the 50’s.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by Gallus1
What is so wrong with having standards and manners, irrespective of nationality or culture?
Good manners are incredibly attractive and increasingly rare. Irrespective of nationality. But what do you mean by culture? I feel we are tip toeing around a dog whistle for something else? No?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by JD1905
the british culture of having manners
I'm reasonably confident that all cultures have manners, old chap.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Had I been there I would probably have congratulated the member of staff with my address card stating that if there is any comeback I would be more than willing to defend them. I hope that he leaves in a huff.
I thought that sentance was going to finish with 'defend them with my hairbrush!'

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
When I started using the CCR at Terminal 5 Heathrow, there were a generous amount of chairs with footstools. I seem to recall a row of seats where people could lounge with their feet up on the terrace front. In addition, comfortable chairs with footstools could be found in the main area. Versions of this seating remained following redecoration but there are fewer than in the early years. I dislike the placing of small tables and chairs on the terrace and the 'buffet' offering.
Out of interest, what is the lounge etiquette for footstools/ottomans (bearing in mind the Cathay lounge in T3 has plenty of them). Shoes on or off?
PUCCI GALORE and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 4:32 pm

My socks are washed significantly more frequently than my jeans. Just saying…
QT31415, orbitmic, bafan and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 4:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
Do BA still have the 'Forty Winks' nap lounge? If so be directed there.
Yes it is still there in the former boardroom
flybymonkey likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
I thought that sentance was going to finish with 'defend them with my hairbrush!'

Out of interest, what is the lounge etiquette for footstools/ottomans (bearing in mind the Cathay lounge in T3 has plenty of them). Shoes on or off?
Does anyone remember when BA had loungers on the front of the Concorde Room terrace? I do. They were subsequently removed and replaced with different comfortable chairs and footstools. The styles have changed over the years.

I'd speculate that hygiene concerns and the type of materials used are more relevant than etiquette. If guests are invited to use footstools by BA (or Cathay) then they will put their feet up. I don't recall seeing rows of shoes in the CCR, so I guess most guests keep their shoes on. Obviously, some materials are easier to clean and management has to factor in how often this will be done.

'Turning Left For Less' article. 18 December 2017. Michele

**If you look closely, you can see passengers reclining with their shoes on.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Mar 27, 2023 at 5:22 pm Reason: ** Forgot to add.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
I don't think taking shoes off makes it OK. The inside of a shoe, which has most probably not been washed for a long time or even at all, is probably not the cleanest of places. Putting your feet on a sofa/couch etc. having had your feet in those shoes is bad hygiene.
Particular bad for those whe go round licking sofas.

But for the rest of us, who mainly place our well covered backsides on the squabs, I'd imagine the threat of infection isn't anywhere above the background risk of public spaces.

The greater sin of our relaxing guest was taking up the space - although I've noticed that lounge users seem loathe to share the intimacy of sofas with strangers.
wrp96, Stil and adambrau like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.