Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by xenole
I really don't see the issue with socks on a sofa (assuming they don't stink and aren't crusty).
It's called a lounge for a reason and that to me is somewhere where I can lounge around, be comfortable and relax rather than some stuffy and pretentious place that wouldn't go amiss for Mr. Fogg in "80 Days Around The World".

(Manners wise, I bet the majority here have put their elbows on the tables; eat soup by bringing themselves to the bowl rather than the spoon to themselves; use cutlery in the wrong order and fail to admonish the working class staff for such faux pas in their presentation; laptops and/or phones out at the bar / dining areas)

I have no idea why this person was singled out. Busy and people required seating? Someone complained? A particular staff member having a bad day? Stinky feet? Or what?

I said earlier that things like this can be witnessed multiple times a day in lounges, F cabins etc. with pretty much nothing being said or done.
Sure when I pop in next week in my shorts, remove my sandals and slap my bare feet up on to a table and proceed to trim my toe nails, nothing will be said. Expect a few looks but little else to show how inconsistent things are.

I've said in a previous post that there was once a corpulent man in a string vest asleep on one of the sofas. Zero interaction by any patrons or staff there and to a lot here, that would have been something so abhorrible to some here that they would never dawn BA's doors again....

Surely this is the thing about manners, they don't always make sense, simply they are a way to ensure that people around you are comfortable,
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Stil
This thread has become a Tour de Force in no arguments why a lounges can not be used as a lounge for resting, if one does it respectfully; One has of course to disregarding all the hurt "class/upbringing" feelings comments.
It's all one liners with fancy words, hot air and a slight whim of them and us.

I have in a previous post tried to display why it might be reasonable with more leniency in etiquette when lounges are at question. But, I frankly get the notion that some people here think that making an argument about behaviour in a lounge equals ones behavior in daily life as a general. It does not.
It's a lounge where people are tired. Not a restaurant, not a café, not a hotel, not a workplace..a lounge.

And if lounges has become so fancy that they can not cater for weary travellers, then yes please arrange the transport!
I think it all comes down to: is it a public or private space? if it is a public space then good manners would dictate that one does not divest oneself of shoes. The CCR is a public space, public in the sense that it is a shared space, one is not in one’s own house or a private space such as a hotel room but a public lounge, so shoes off is not apt nor good etiquette. It has nothing to do with class merely what is defined as public space. It is a similar to the rules about where one should remove a hat, indoors spaces it’s hats off, but terminal buildings, hotel lobbies and lifts are classed as outdoor spaces, so it’s hats on. Merely because a space is called a lounge it does not mean one can lounge about and behave as if your are in private.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.