Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:43 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by labdoctor
If I wanted to see belly buttons I'd go to Spearmint Rhino, not an airport.
Post of the day for me.... not that I suspect you'd get on all that well with my teenage daughters when they are heading off somewhere warm.

As for me, it all went to pot when gentlemen stopped wearing 3 piece suits to fly. Harrumph.
ExpatExp, T8191, crazy8534 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by higham44
How successful were you in hitting the pool??
Yoga can alleviate all sorts, not sure about humour though??
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Adam1222
And in many parts of the USA, you would get a swift kick in the pants for making sweeping statements about people who wear shorts.
Why not just make all the pilots wear string vests and Bermuda shorts while we're at it
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by labdoctor
Why not just make all the pilots wear string vests and Bermuda shorts while we're at it
That seems to be no responsive, as no one was talking about "making" anyone do anything, but I think you may just be proving my point that comments of disdain for other people's clothes says more about the speaker's manners than those of the person wearing shorts.
LETTERBOY and noubliepas like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:33 am

I think the sense of cultural superiority is quite clear, and to me reflects worse breeding then someone putting their feet on the couch.
Couldn't agree more, as plenty of comments in this thread sadly displays.
bafan and adambrau like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
That seems to be no responsive, as no one was talking about "making" anyone do anything, but I think you may just be proving my point that comments of disdain for other people's clothes says more about the speaker's manners than those of the person wearing shorts.
does it? I appreciate you are advancing the current fashionable position on this, but If someone takes no care with their appearance and wears tatty unwashed and ill fitting clothes, we shouldn’t draw any conclusions from that? I mean no one says you must dress in a certain way or be forced to dress in a specific way, but equally if you choose how to present yourself then should others take that into account?
ExpatExp, labdoctor and Gallus1 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
does it? I appreciate you are advancing the current fashionable position on this, but If someone takes no care with their appearance and wears tatty unwashed and ill fitting clothes, we shouldn’t draw any conclusions from that? I mean no one says you must dress in a certain way or be forced to dress in a specific way, but equally if you choose how to present yourself then should others take that into account?
No one mentioned "tatty unwashed and ill fitting clothes," but yes, if a stranger on an airplanes greatest sin is that their clothes don't fit well, it says a lot about you if you feel the need to comment on it.

As to the "current fashionable position," passengers have been dressing casually on airplanes for decades now, so I think it is time for those who have disdain for that to accept that they are the ones flouting cultural norms
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:56 am

No one mentioned "tatty unwashed and ill fitting clothes," but yes, if a stranger on an airplanes greatest sin is that their clothes don't fit well, it says a lot about you if you feel the need to comment on it.

As to the "current fashionable position," passengers have been dressing casually on airplanes for decades now, so I think it is time for those who have disdain for that to accept that they are the ones flouting cultural norms
I don’t feel the need to comment on here at all about it, just interested in the modern approach that no judgment can be made based on how people present themselves.

and my question wasn’t about simply dressing causally, which I do btw when traveling
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:07 am

I don’t feel the need to comment on here at all about it, just interested in the modern approach that no judgment can be made based on how people present themselves.

and my question wasn’t about simply dressing causally, which I do btw when traveling
It seems you are indeed commenting on here about it, but I'm pretty sure the idea that one should not make moral judgments based on the fact strangers are dressed in shorts (which is what I was responding to) is not particularly modern, even if the opposing view is indeed colonial.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:16 am

It seems you are indeed commenting on here about it, but I'm pretty sure the idea that one should not make moral judgments based on the fact strangers are dressed in shorts (which is what I was responding to) is not particularly modern, even if the opposing view is indeed colonial.
Well you really have been drinking the kool aid

Just to be clear, you advanced an opinion, and I asked questions to challenge that and test it - I haven’t given my own opinion. I am an advocate of the Socratic method, but then that may not be surprising given my heritage.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:24 am

Judgements can of course be made about anybodys attire.

Questionable people dresses in clothes that cost more then a medium sized family car and fly first class because they have no respect for money, due to the means in whitch they obtained their wealth.
Would that be a fair assumption?
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Stil
Judgements can of course be made about anybodys attire.

Questionable people dresses in clothes that cost more then a medium sized family car and fly first class because they have no respect for money, due to the means in whitch they obtained their wealth.
Would that be a fair assumption?
oh i will go out on a limb and express an opinion - I agree with that
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:27 am

Well you really have been drinking the kool aid

Just to be clear, you advanced an opinion, and I asked questions to challenge that and test it - I haven’t given my own opinion. I am an advocate of the Socratic method, but then that may not be surprising given my heritage.
I am not sure whose "Kool-Aid" you are referring to, but I humbly suggest you are quite clearly expressing your own opinion when making comments like that ("the modern approach"?). I stand by my statement that those in this thread making comments about people's respect for money, etc., are far more gauche than a passenger who dares to wear "ill-fitting" clothes, or flashy designer clothes.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I was going to quote, but have chosen not to do so as, frankly, some of the arguments being purported here are purely for argument's sake rather than a rational view. I rather suspect that comments made by people who may feel that one is commenting upon them and like the individual in the first post resent that their views about what is or is not acceptable are not approved by what I think may be a majority,

I come from a time when I was conditioned by my parents and all those responsible for my education and ultimately conditioning by society. The standards which I attempt to maintain are not those of everyone. All I will say is that I was raised not to put my feet on furniture and to be polite and respectful to others. Thinking that one can just lay out on communal furniture with no regards for others is a level of solipsism that I do not appreciate. Most people who I know would not dream of behaving in such a manner,and find curious that others find it acceptable and unremarkable.I was out with a rather mixed group in terms of age and background and I told them about this thread and how it commenced. To a man and woman they all thought that the BA employee was well within his rights, indeed as one pointed out, someone else may have objected and he went and dealt with it.

However like most, I do not say anything but merely ignore that which is unpleasant to me until it is me who is affected. We live in a world where slovenliness is commonplace and where people think of no one but themselves. By its very nature, when you travel you are surrounded by others - even in First Class. I completely agree with those who are far more irritated by someone on a video call or watching a programme without headphones. When that became acceptable I do not know. Nevertheless, I am totally disinterested how someone afforded to be in the CCR - I am unimpressed by who wears what in designer as none of it would make it out of a true Couturier's Attelier.

Actually I will add this - it happened to be in the CCR, it could so easily have been the FLounge or any other Lounge. I have not actually witnessed anyone behaving thus in the Lounges that I am able to access as I am not aware that there are many sofas in the Flounge as memory serves what sofas there are are out in the Greenhouse as I call it. In the Flounge the problem seems to be people putting their good and chattels on the seat next to them. If they are holding it for someone else who is in the lav or getting food then I have no problem. Anyone else is requested to move - I refuse to go seat hunting when their bag occupies a seat where this Old Bag wishes to sit.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I was going to quote, but have chosen not to do so as, frankly, some of the arguments being purported here are purely for argument's sake rather than a rational view. I rather suspect that comments made by people who may feel that one is commenting upon them and like the individual in the first post resent that their views about what is or is not acceptable are not approved by what I think may be a majority,

I come from a time when I was conditioned by my parents and all those responsible for my education and ultimately conditioning by society. The standards which I attempt to maintain are not those of everyone. All I will say is that I was raised not to put my feet on furniture and to be polite and respectful to others. Thinking that one can just lay out on communal furniture with no regards for others is a level of solipsism that I do not appreciate. Most people who I know would not dream of behaving in such a manner,and find curious that others find it acceptable and unremarkable.I was out with a rather mixed group in terms of age and background and I told them about this thread and how it commenced. To a man and woman they all thought that the BA employee was well within his rights, indeed as one pointed out, someone else may have objected and he went and dealt with it.

However like most, I do not say anything but merely ignore that which is unpleasant to me until it is me who is affected. We live in a world where slovenliness is commonplace and where people think of no one but themselves. By its very nature, when you travel you are surrounded by others - even in First Class. I completely agree with those who are far more irritated by someone on a video call or watching a programme without headphones. When that became acceptable I do not know. Nevertheless, I am totally disinterested how someone afforded to be in the CCR - I am unimpressed by who wears what in designer as none of it would make it out of a true Couturier's Attelier.

Actually I will add this - it happened to be in the CCR, it could so easily have been the FLounge or any other Lounge. I have not actually witnessed anyone behaving thus in the Lounges that I am able to access as I am not aware that there are many sofas in the Flounge as memory serves what sofas there are are out in the Greenhouse as I call it. In the Flounge the problem seems to be people putting their good and chattels on the seat next to them. If they are holding it for someone else who is in the lav or getting food then I have no problem. Anyone else is requested to move - I refuse to go seat hunting when their bag occupies a seat where this Old Bag wishes to sit.
There's a lot here, but I would just ask people to at least acknowledge the viewpoint that language like "I come from a time" (not unique to this post at all) is what is rubbing some of us wrong. For me, at least, I have no problem with the notion that putting unshoed feet on a sofa is wrong. It is the tone and tenor of the conversation ( "Back in my day, women wore corsets and parasols, nowadays women wear pantaloons as a sign of improper breeding. Whatever happened to *class*?") that is problematic.
wrp96 and adambrau like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.