Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Adam1222
There's a lot here, but I would just ask people to at least acknowledge the viewpoint that language like "I come from a time" (not unique to this post at all) is what is rubbing some of us wrong. For me, at least, I have no problem with the notion that putting unshoed feet on a sofa is wrong. It is the tone and tenor of the conversation ( "Back in my day, women wore corsets and parasols, nowadays women wear pantaloons as a sign of improper breeding. Whatever happened to *class*?") that is problematic.
That is a most reasoned statement - believe me when I say that it will befall all of us here one day or other. I never thought that it would happen to me, but it has I fear.
bafan, Adam1222, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:53 am

If having good manners is a display of “cultural superiority”, then I for one proudly hold my hand and head up - guilty as charged.
As for having good manners equating to money and/or nationality? Utterly ridiculous! Money never has or will equate to class.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I really don't see the issue with socks on a sofa (assuming they don't stink and aren't crusty).
It's called a lounge for a reason and that to me is somewhere where I can lounge around, be comfortable and relax rather than some stuffy and pretentious place that wouldn't go amiss for Mr. Fogg in "80 Days Around The World".

(Manners wise, I bet the majority here have put their elbows on the tables; eat soup by bringing themselves to the bowl rather than the spoon to themselves; use cutlery in the wrong order and fail to admonish the working class staff for such faux pas in their presentation; laptops and/or phones out at the bar / dining areas)

I have no idea why this person was singled out. Busy and people required seating? Someone complained? A particular staff member having a bad day? Stinky feet? Or what?

I said earlier that things like this can be witnessed multiple times a day in lounges, F cabins etc. with pretty much nothing being said or done.
Sure when I pop in next week in my shorts, remove my sandals and slap my bare feet up on to a table and proceed to trim my toe nails, nothing will be said. Expect a few looks but little else to show how inconsistent things are.

I've said in a previous post that there was once a corpulent man in a string vest asleep on one of the sofas. Zero interaction by any patrons or staff there and to a lot here, that would have been something so abhorrible to some here that they would never dawn BA's doors again....
bafan likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Gallus1
If having good manners is a display of “cultural superiority”, then I for one proudly hold my hand and head up - guilty as charged.
As for having good manners equating to money and/or nationality? Utterly ridiculous! Money never has or will equate to class.
As should be abundantly clear, having good manners is not the problem. Shouting that one has good manners and sneering at others is. Shouting about others classlessness never has or will equate to class.
LETTERBOY, wrp96 and DFW1003 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I think "If sir wishes to have his feet on the sofa, perhaps sir would feel more at home travelling with Ryanair....would sir like the concierge desk to arrange a transfer to Stansted?"..... would have been the exemplary response at this point.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
What this fails to recognise, though, is that "manners" are entirely culturally dependent. See taking the time to politely thank your waiter in the USA without leaving a tip, a Japanese person slurping noodles, or the discussion on here the other day about whether to leave any food on your plate, as examples.

By behaving in a certain way (and IMHO you should generally try to behave in the manner expected where you are) you may be behaving "correctly" according to your culture, but to describe that as inherently culturally superior is an odd world view.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:55 am

[QUOTE=Scots_Al;

By behaving in a certain way (and IMHO you should generally try to behave in the manner expected where you are) you may be behaving "correctly" according to your culture, but to describe that as inherently culturally superior is an odd world view.[/QUOTE]

However, please note the “cultural superiority” was the accusation laid against me when I stated the same as you.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:56 am

Once again, the horse is well and truly flogged.
spursdebs likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
What this fails to recognise, though, is that "manners" are entirely culturally dependent. See taking the time to politely thank your waiter in the USA without leaving a tip, a Japanese person slurping noodles, or the discussion on here the other day about whether to leave any food on your plate, as examples.

By behaving in a certain way (and IMHO you should generally try to behave in the manner expected where you are) you may be behaving "correctly" according to your culture, but to describe that as inherently culturally superior is an odd world view.
British culture though is a complete mixed bag of things. It's not, as previously said, something from the 1800s with the isolated gentry looking down upon the working class who knew their place, but everything from those who like to rub in peoples' faces what they have through to "right mate?", "init?" and so on.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
I think "If sir wishes to have his feet on the sofa, perhaps sir would feel more at home travelling with Ryanair....would sir like the concierge desk to arrange a transfer to Stansted?"..... would have been the exemplary response at this point.
This thread has become a Tour de Force in no arguments why a lounges can not be used as a lounge for resting, if one does it respectfully; One has of course to disregarding all the hurt "class/upbringing" feelings comments.
It's all one liners with fancy words, hot air and a slight whim of them and us.

I have in a previous post tried to display why it might be reasonable with more leniency in etiquette when lounges are at question. But, I frankly get the notion that some people here think that making an argument about behaviour in a lounge equals ones behavior in daily life as a general. It does not.
It's a lounge where people are tired. Not a restaurant, not a café, not a hotel, not a workplace..a lounge.

And if lounges has become so fancy that they can not cater for weary travellers, then yes please arrange the transport!
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Stil
This thread has become a Tour de Force in no arguments why a lounges can not be used as a lounge for resting, if one does it respectfully; One has of course to disregarding all the hurt "class/upbringing" feelings comments.
It's all one liners with fancy words, hot air and a slight whim of them and us.

I have in a previous post tried to display why it might be reasonable with more leniency in etiquette when lounges are at question. But, I frankly get the notion that some people here think that making an argument about behaviour in a lounge equals ones behavior in daily life as a general. It does not.
It's a lounge where people are tired. Not a restaurant, not a café, not a hotel, not a workplace..a lounge.

And if lounges has become so fancy that they can not cater for weary travellers, then yes please arrange the transport!
Good manners has nothing whatsoever do do with class. There are plenty of Ill mannered individuals who have had the luxury of opulent upbringings. Conversely, there are many of us from working class or difficult backgrounds who have the respect for others to treat them with courtesy.
I wonder why there is a desire to twist this into a case of moneyed upbringings v that of those less privileged.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:40 am

Good manners has nothing whatsoever do do with class. There are plenty of Ill mannered individuals who have had the luxury of opulent upbringings. Conversely, there are many of us from working class or difficult backgrounds who have the respect for others to treat them with courtesy.
I wonder why there is a desire to twist this into a case of moneyed upbringings v that of those less privileged.
Where do you read all of that out of my text?

I don't care where people come from, what clothes they are wearing, which car they are driving, if they had a nanny and lived on a castle.I do though hope for their sake, that they are happy and fulfilled in life. Treading others with the same respect they like themselves, but that is a another story.

My sole interest and my argument is, I don't find it to be offencive using a sofa for resting, if one is hygienic and there is no chairs or what ever designed for it, as is the case here.
My argument is only in regards to use of a lounge and what is considered kosher.
All the rest about class, good upbringing, money or no money I frankly couldn't care less and I would like to emphasise, that me and a few others are the only ones that hasn't mentioned class as a good measure for curtesy.
noubliepas likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Stil
Where do you read all of that out of my text?

I don't care where people come from, what clothes they are wearing, which car they are driving, if they had a nanny and lived on a castle.I do though hope for their sake, that they are happy and fulfilled in life. Treading others with the same respect they like themselves, but that is a another story.

My sole interest and my argument is, I don't find it to be offencive using a sofa for resting, if one is hygienic and there is no chairs or what ever designed for it, as is the case here.
My argument is only in regards to use of a lounge and what is considered kosher.
All the rest about class, good upbringing, money or no money I frankly couldn't care less and I would like to emphasise, that me and a few others are the only ones that hasn't mentioned class as a good measure for curtesy.
When I mention class, I am not referring to material class. I was referring to manners. Being a classy person.
While I completely disagree with your opinion that it is neither here nor there if someone is languishing with their feet on the furniture, you are, of course, entitled to yours.
However there seems to be an underlying refrain of haves and have nots threading through the replies. This, I find, offensive. I reiterate, it has nothing to do with money, nationality, age perspective or upbringing. It all has to do with your personal idea of what constitutes good manners and social acknowledgment of others social expectations of behaviour.
There’s a time and place for everything!
lloydah likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:10 am

When I mention class, I am not referring to material class. I was referring to manners. Being a classy person.
While I completely disagree with your opinion that it is neither here nor there if someone is languishing with their feet on the furniture, you are, of course, entitled to yours.
However there seems to be an underlying refrain of haves and have nots threading through the replies. This, I find, offensive. I reiterate, it has nothing to do with money, nationality, age perspective or upbringing. It all has to do with your personal idea of what constitutes good manners and social acknowledgment of others social expectations of behaviour.
There’s a time and place for everything!
Hey, if you are not going to give me a run for my money (had to write it) in regards to what is wrong with using a lounge for lounging. A proper argument and not all the staffage, which frankly doesn't interest me as a non British.
Let's just agree to disagree on the basis as of now
Gallus1 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
CONCORDE ROOM LIVE REPORT:

Conditions: currently very pleasant.

I am here in the CCR now relaxing with a glass of LPGS and listening to 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' (the lounge background music) and as far as I can see, everyone is being well-behaved with their feet firmly on the ground. It is very different from the Flounge. Precisely nobody is shouting into mobiles. Mobile use such as it is, is in very hushed tones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.