Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by labdoctor
I think the rot started when some people thought it permissable to wear shorts or beachwear on an aircraft
Probably when they allowed the *gasp* middle class aboard.
wrp96 and adambrau like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:45 am

Have any of you had a good look at the seats you are using on planes resently? They are for the most cases borderline filthy also in first. So, if germs is the argument don't fly!

If it is etiquette?
It comes from respecting ones surrounding. In my book it would be respectful if I used my wollen socks for indoor use and even put them on the, by the sound of it, very fragile CCR sofas, which gets in contact with some very fragile behinds.

You would probably find that to be both offencive, bad mannered, not to speak of my home knitted socks which you might very well find revolting.
Would I care most likely not.

What i would care about would be if I took up space for others, if the lounge were full. Talked loud on my phone. Watched a movie with out head set. Not being verbally polite. Being Intitled....
pogonation likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What people do on communal furniture that I might use is. A sofa is intended to pose one’s bottom not someone’s smelly socks. What’s more it was by all accounts a sofa rather than a bed or a chaise longue.
The above pertinent point is also common sense regarding the intended purpose of sofas. Where footstools or recliners are provided in the CCR, BA is inviting guests to put their feet up. That throws up questions about cleaning and hygiene (shoes on or off?). I wouldn't dream of displaying the behaviour described in the OP. Yet I'd like to see more provision in the CCR for exhausted, delayed and weary travellers. Lounges that do this well are to be applauded. Removing the cabanas was a bad move.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
It appears obvious that, like most subjects discussed on this forum, interpretation by individuals to any given situation is very subjective. I understand that.

What I don't understand is the belief that when you use facilities belonging to other individuals (or companies), the rules don't apply to you.

Regardless of whether you believe feet belong on sofas or not, if the CCR (or BA) ask you to not do it, then don't do it. Their lounge, their rules?
LETTERBOY and Paolo1972 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
One problem is that the rules seem to be enforced few and far between.
How many times, mentioned here, and/or witnessed through our own eyes, have people been sprawled out over sofas; bags on chairs; feet on tables; loud conversations at the CCR bar that may disturb ones peace and quiet etc. yet zero is ever said by any party?
This one time, it's made an issue of.

I can't say where anything or anyone has been before touching anything. Ignoramce is bliss in these cases.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
not acceptable.......EVER, TOTAL DISREGARD FOR OTHERS
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Paolo1972
not acceptable.......EVER, TOTAL DISREGARD FOR OTHERS
And SHOUTING is not?
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Stil
And SHOUTING is not?
didn't notice anyone was shouting
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Paolo1972
didn't notice anyone was shouting
Caps are shouting

Personally, socked feet on a sofa doesn't bother me too much. Bare feet on a table that I might eat off, that's a different kettle of fish (been mentioned in comments about the Flounge).
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:19 pm

caps shouting or overheard??
big difference
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by champignon
Travel can be and often is disgusting. I have been in public restrooms rendered unusable by all manner of bodily secretions or one time, in a restroom that had been used for shooting up drugs which was contaminated with blood everywhere.

As much as people complain about the age and condition of the CCR bathrooms, I'd rate them as a solid 7-8/10 of what I have seen elsewhere while traveling.

As to the CCR itself, I find the staff and fellow travelers to be an oasis in the midst of what else I might encounter on my trips. My fellow passengers, at least while I have been there, have generally behaved themselves well, and the place is kept to a very reasonable standard of cleanliness. I have yet to encounter a situation in the CCR that I found offensive.

If your frame of reference is some private club limited to persons who attended private boarding schools, or perhaps the boardroom of a large corporation, then the CCR falls short. I'm happy for what it is, for the fact that I can occasionally enter it, and all the sniveling in this thread is just a bunch of whining in my own, not very humble, opinion.
There's no snivelling (2 ll's) in this thread. It's opinions. I think it's simply a case of money not making class.
Paolo1972 and Gallus1 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by adambrau
Good manners are incredibly attractive and increasingly rare. Irrespective of nationality. But what do you mean by culture? I feel we are tip toeing around a dog whistle for something else? No?
Good grief, no!
Everyone should respect the manners and culture of whichever country you are in at any given time. British culture conveys good manners (mostly). In some cultures it is an insult to show the soles of your feet, clogged or otherwise, others would find it disrespectful if you wore certain clothing. It’s a matter of standards and respect of those around you. Did your mother never tell you to take your feet off the furniture?
LETTERBOY, Vaterland and Paolo1972 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
What one might do at home is totally irrelevant when in public. All sorts of behaviour is reserved for in your own doors. Feet on furniture meant for sitting is one of them. Putting feet on a piece of furniture designed for feet (foot stool/ottoman) or on a piece meant for reclining (chaise) is quite fine. Often those pieces have some sort of cover to protect the upholstery anyway. On any other piece of furniture it's not. How would you feel if someone slid out of their trousers and sat in their "lining layer" (read socks) on the same furniture!? Why can't the OP sit in a chair with a foot stool or use one of the nap beds? And then there are those who should not take off their shoes in any environment but a very private one as the pong is awful. Whole other story. If one is so "uncomfortable" that they must lie on sitting furniture, I suggest they see the medics.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gallus1
Good grief, no!
Everyone should respect the manners and culture of whichever country you are in at any given time. British culture conveys good manners (mostly). In some cultures it is an insult to show the soles of your feet, clogged or otherwise, others would find it disrespectful if you wore certain clothing. It’s a matter of standards and respect of those around you. Did your mother never tell you to take your feet off the furniture?
General comment please don't take it in a personal way, your comment just made me reflect.

For some reason it seems that some people here are, as previously stated, tip toing around something related to foreigners and manners. I could of course be wrong?
I'm not British and I can with all certainty tell you, that the pamflet with "when in Rome do as the Romans" was never distributed on flights from the iles to Spain among other places.
So all the autrage about (an Americans) manners when visiting Britain sounds a bit hollow to me. It's after all just a pair socks on a sofa, not people trying to hit the pool with beer bottles from 10th floor at 5 in the morning.

Just my ten cents from the safe and secluded space of 1A.
IAN-UK, GUWonder, Adam1222 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:23 pm

Ok, let me get this straight. Some of you guys are arguing or suggesting that 1) the CCR as a private club type of establishment shouldn't have a right to set house rules as they deem fitting, and 2) it's acceptable for a person to take of his/her shoes and plop on any sofa in any environment.

Ah, hogwash.
kileysmom, LETTERBOY and ExpatExp like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.