Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:40 am

Doesn't make a difference - American or not (and the OP did not clarify - South, Central, or North American, BTW) - one's feet should not be on the furniture I sit on in an airport lounge or otherwise!
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Had I been there I would probably have congratulated the member of staff with my address card stating that if there is any comeback I would be more than willing to defend them. I hope that he leaves in a huff.
Or if that was too soon, perhaps he left in a minute and a huff.

(with apologies to Groucho...)
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Another ‘well done to the staff member’ from me

Any reluctance to comply with such a totally reasonable request should be followed by a polite-but-firm indication that the offender may be asked to leave the lounge.

I’m very much of the view that this sort of behaviour is one of several contributory factors in lounges gradually becoming far less pleasant environments than they could - and should - be.
BA or bust, katzonkeyz and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Those of us of a “certain age” just roll their eyes at the state of societal behaviours these days.

I blame the parents and the schools, of course. And BREXIT, etc etc.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:28 am

What’s wrong with putting your feet, less shoes, on the sofa? As I type my un-socked right foot is tucked under my bottom whilst I rest on the drawing room sofa.

Is a foot dirtier than other parts of your anatomy that comes into contact with the sofa?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Greenpen
What’s wrong with putting your feet, less shoes, on the sofa? As I type my un-socked right foot is tucked under my bottom whilst I rest on the drawing room sofa.

Is a foot dirtier than other parts of your anatomy that comes into contact with the sofa?
It's just not done.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
I would have been happy to have the shoes off the table where my food is usually placed...taken to a new and the right level frankly..a lounge is a place to rest but I assume on the fancy loungers where one lays down, dangling socked and shoed feet are acceptable as long as they do not contact surfaces?
Uxbridgeman likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I am mid 50's in age and while I don't like the direction social etiquettes are heading, at least the fella took off his shoes. Presumably his status or ticketed cabin to get access to this lounge came at a profitable number to BA. I can't imagine BA is unable to disinfect sofa. Comments along the lines of "it's just not done" ignore the fact clearly it is done. Happy the customer pushed back - BA I think you have greater issues to fix than annoying your 'best' passengers lol....
bafan, joejet and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I must say I would be a lot more shocked if BA still offered the cabanas which offered a proper alternative to people wanting to lay down in the CCR whilst they wait for their connection after a long or ultra long haul flight without being in a coffin of sorts...

Plenty of ultra premium and even premium lounges offer proper pleasant resting areas that people can use to lay down in decent conditions in lie down position. On OW, it is for instance the case of the lading CX F lounges at hub, and even hub J lounges for QR and IB for instance (I mean proper cabana style, not silly capsules)

Where airlines do not offer some good resting alternatives, then I'm afraid that I fully expect some people to want to lay down anyway, and sofas or the floor are pretty much the two most likely areas where they will do that, so "just not done" does not really strike me as a compelling argument in this case if the person arrives from a long haul, are exhausted, and have no good alternatives. I would prefer them not to do it in the public part of the lounge, but that would imply that somehow, they should be able to do it elsewhere more privately.

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 27, 2023 at 12:09 pm
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I must say I would be a lot more shocked if BA still offered the cabanas which offered a proper alternative to people wanting to lay down in the CCR whilst they wait for their connection after a long or ultra long haul flight without being in a coffin of sorts...
At least there is the "coffin"... it's way more comfortable than trying to nap sitting on an armchair.

Regarding the topic, I agree with the notion that the feet should not be put on furniture in a public place.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Perhaps he just got off a flight where he also had his shoes off and visited the lav in those socks.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Perhaps he just got off a flight where he also had his shoes off and visited the lav in those socks.
Or perhaps he used the fresh socks in the amenity kit as well as the slippers (assuming BA offers them), and then changed back into his clean socks prior to landing which made putting them on the sofa really no different from putting his arse on the sofa.
I mean you can put your feet on the ottoman in F/J, can't you?
bafan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Finkface
He may well, but at that rate, plenty of people using the buffet will have disgustingly not washed their hands after wiping their bottoms and will be handling the cutlery and the bottles of LGPS where you will actually put your own hands. If we are talking transmission risks here, even if he did what you suggest, the impact on the health of other passengers is likely to be more or less zero whilst what's happening through the handling of things other people touch with their hands before eating has a far greater likelihood of being significant.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:45 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

What you do in your house on your sofa on your sofa is, Thank God, no concern of mine. What people do on communal furniture that I might use is. A sofa is intended to pose one’s bottom not someone’s smelly socks. What’s more it was by all accounts a sofa rather than a bed or a chaise longue.

This has nothing to do with the individual concerned, and I for one applaud the staff for putting a stop to such slovenly conduct in what is meant to a premium lounge.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by adambrau
I am mid 50's in age and while I don't like the direction social etiquettes are heading, at least the fella took off his shoes. Presumably his status or ticketed cabin to get access to this lounge came at a profitable number to BA. I can't imagine BA is unable to disinfect sofa. Comments along the lines of "it's just not done" ignore the fact clearly it is done. Happy the customer pushed back - BA I think you have greater issues to fix than annoying your 'best' passengers lol....
Yeah, not going to agree with you on this at all. Everyone has bigger fish to fry, but that doesn't mean you don't fry the small fish too. Small problems become bigger problems because SOME people think they will just let it go. That is indeed the attitude that has degraded society to this point. If not this, when is enough enough?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.