Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just keep in mind that after 8 hours the employees get overtime pay, which is 50% additional on their base wage.

Of course 18 hour shifts are not sustainable and should never be mandated.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
It’s incredible just how much the interior designers have managed to make the sofa / soft seating area look like a mediocre hotel lobby rather than anything remotely cosy…
Actually, I think the lighting is the main culprit here. From the photos it appears harsh and poorly aimed. Something a good lighting designer can fine tune with an ipad and lighting control app
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I think this is where those who designed Flounge LHR/LGW, GF (to some extent), CCR, EDI etc should take a bow. And it's where from the photos at least Chelsea, maybe not Soho, appears to have lost out on the "cosy to relaxing comfortable" space. See also AA's brand new DCA lounge at E concourse, and the Qatar lounges - first glimpse they look modern and well designed, a fortune was spent on them, and yet it is lacking in that sense of relaxation. I guess we're only supposed to be in the lounge for an hour so maybe it doesn't matter in the great scheme of things, but there is some aspect of design which isn't money related but sets the tone.

Qantas International First lounge in SYD would be an example where it works successfully elsewhere, so it's by no means a BA monopoly.
Qatar LHR and CDG are quite possibly the best lounges in the world at this in my experience, unfair to criticise all of them. But otherwise agree.

Originally Posted by Prospero
Actually, I think the lighting is the main culprit here. From the photos it appears harsh and poorly aimed. Something a good lighting designer can fine tune with an ipad and lighting control app
It’s definitely not just that (although that’s part of it). It’s also that whichever seat you choose you can see everyone else at every table, the monotone grey seating adds zero warmth and everything is just a bit too angular. It just doesn’t look comfy even if it actually is to sit on.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 20, 2022 at 1:11 pm Reason: combine consecutive posts
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
It’s definitely not just that (although that’s part of it). It’s also that whichever seat you choose you can see everyone else at every table, the monotone grey seating adds zero warmth and everything is just a bit too angular. It just doesn’t look comfy even if it actually is to sit on.
This.

Every seat has you with 20+ people in your eye-line and if you sit in the middle the areas behind you are a walk-way.

And furniture, as I have said a few times, none of it is deep, all of the chairs are stiff and as a result it's nearly impossible to get comfortable and stare off into the distance. If you do stare, you're probably looking someone. The only truly premium thing about it is the f&b assuming they have everything.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Lack of privacy, lack of comfort, and bad lighting are not mutually exclusive…

And of course, none of us want to rub it in, but by choosing the one location with zero windows for their supposedly best lounge, AA/BA didn’t make it easy for themselves….
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
deleted

Last edited by danmushman; Dec 4, 2022 at 8:04 am Reason: wrong thread
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Just keep in mind that after 8 hours the employees get overtime pay, which is 50% additional on their base wage.

Of course 18 hour shifts are not sustainable and should never be mandated.
Tell it to those of us who did residency in the us with 30+ hour shifts -without overpay- taking care of people’s lives, not drinks!
I agree with you, but this is still how this country works for some unfortunately

Last edited by IkarosBOS; Dec 4, 2022 at 9:05 am
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:25 am

So in short, apart from some nice drinks, it's fair to say the room is a flop?
Markie and angeloedades like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
So in short, apart from some nice drinks, it's fair to say the room is a flop?
I tried my fair bit of food and wouldn’t be in a hurry to order any of it again.

I didn’t try the steak as it was out, but let’s give the chef the benefit of the doubt and trust they wouldn’t destroy it.

So yes, you can go there for nice drinks and a steak, but once you’ve taken in the nice looking bar I think you’re done there.

if you’re not a carnivore, just the drink and a mediocre salad.
flybymonkey likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
The menu looks pretty weak for a top lounge - worse than the previous FFD and CCR offerings! Very disappointing.
Markie, MaxFlyer, orbitmic and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Printer paper menu was how FFD was operating in early November - never a good sign.

As someone mentioned above, this lounge is run by two multi-billon pound airlines / a large food vendor that have all known this was coming for months. They should have adequate staffing and supply chain logistics in order from day 1 (maybe day 2 or 3), especially given all of the hype they put into this with the bloggers. Just because I show up at 7 pm shouldn’t mean all of the advertised F&B options are depleted or can’t be served due to staffing issues.

Running out of food and drink is very similar to legacy FFD where they would run out of Krug (pre-COVID), LPGS and JW Blue or not serve any of them unless specifically referenced.

Hopefully all of this feedback is constructively taken so that the lounge is improved in short order and doesn’t fall on deaf ears.

The $400 per person each way is on point I believe for any flight that does not have flagship F. If you have OWE, the only benefit is the Chelsea lounge. It may make more sense to shell out for one of the Five Star services (I forget which one comes with FFD / presumably Chelsea).
My current thinking is as follows -

Context - the majority of my travel is business travel with good travel poilicy (J over 6 hrs). For transatlatic travel I always try and bundle in a connection to my itinerary, for the extra 80 TP on a return ticket (with the exception of BOS and JFK - where the time hit makes it unattractive. For south east coast or anywhere else where the flights are >7hrs - I dont' mind adding 3-4 hours in connections).

I usually travel on a saturday to allow for good recovery to start Monday morning meetings, added benefit being I save the company a chunk by throwing in the saturday night.

With the chelsea lounge now I am thinking to force my connections through JFK, and assuming I am booking a flex J ticket through AA, I should then benefit from chelsea lounge. With marginal difference to a standard flexible connecting itinerary I woudl have normally booked through BA.

I have to run the numbers - have I missed something?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
I have to run the numbers - have I missed something?
Unless you have status based access to the Chelsea lounge, you will need be travelling in BA First or AA Flagship First, or AA Flagship Business Plus. The latter is not available on flights where Flagship First is offered - so it's not as simple as just booking a flexible J ticket on AA. There is typically only one LHR-JFK flight a day that doesn't offer Flagship First.
orbitmic and ryanbriar like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I lasted twenty minutes in here. No privacy, no natural light, rubbish acoustics, half the drinks and food advertised were missing and chaotic service. A total waste of time and money,
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I’ve been trying to work out what it reminded me of; and I think it feels like the nuclear bunker I would expect Putin to be taken to when WW3 breaks out.
GratefulSmile likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Sounds like AA and BA have mucked up the "most exclusive lounge" quite royally.
Markie, Genius1, orbitmic and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.