Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Dec 3, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by jjLDNY

There is no dedicated storage space from what I can see.
Alas. I was hoping for something along the lines of the LHR GF luggage storage counter/closet.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you see a BA lounge agent (so don't bother if it's only AA, which is what I would expect at this time of day) could you say "I'm GGL and I'm planning on flying on BA to London in a few weeks in First. How many guests would I be allowed in Chelsea?".
So youre right. No BA to be seen. But the 2 separate people at desks I did ask did give the 2 answer.

My scenic trip may or may not involve me returning to JFK later today where I will (for the people) confirm if arrivals via a domestic route allow entry for a GGL and there should be a BA staff member there to confirm with.

And an additional detail which relates to some of the questionable service. There is a very nice lady there who has moved from the FFD that has always given me amazing service. She said that she was asked to come in at 4am and work until 10pm. And tomorrow, when she originally had the day off was asked to work the same hours again. So she apologised in advance if she messes anything up; I asked how many of them will be working in the Chelsea - she said 3 all day.

So, please be kind to the team, they consist (at least today), of 1 FFD and 2 CCR team members; they are very understaffed. Please provide feedback to the BA/CCR team if you visit the lounge.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

So, please be kind to the team, they consist (at least today), of 1 FFD and 2 CCR team members; they are very understaffed. Please provide feedback to the BA/CCR team if you visit the lounge.
Have all the CCR team being moved to Chelsea (that wanted to move) or has there been some layoffs? I lost track and I know at one point we were told the CCR team were moving over, then a few weeks back was told it wasn't happening but it sounds like at least some made it over. I guess the US have nothing like TUPE so presumably they had to reapply with Sodexo
Old Dec 3, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I know three CCR employees have moved to Chelsea at least. So I assume more than that.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
I talked to a few CCR servers about a month ago and they said they would not be going with Sodexo. Likely a mixed bag.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
She said that she was asked to come in at 4am and work until 10pm. And tomorrow, when she originally had the day off was asked to work the same hours again.
This is unacceptable. I would rather not be served at all than be served by someone whose welfare seems to be of little concern to their employer.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Genius1
This is unacceptable. I would rather not be served at all than be served by someone whose welfare seems to be of little concern to their employer.
I know we had the tipping conversation earlier in the thread.

I am English so it isnt in my nature but when in American lounges I do tip if they are attentive. And as long as they are understaffed I did, and will tip.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Im with Genius1 on this. Tips are perfectly fine if you want to tip, but they arent a remedy for unacceptable treatment of staff which this clearly is. I think it might be worth an email to Ba though Id remove details to protect the person (eg saying more generally you heard some people were asked to serve last minute shifts of 18 hours which reflects badly on BA)
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Currently being served by the lady working 18 hours and honestly she's doing such a great job in all the chaos!

On a plus note, no issue with getting in with my GGL card on a AA TransCon Business
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
6:35 pm

Out of Krug

No Jacquesson.

Not 14 champagnes but 6 (in theory).

The 4 Mots and the Krug (but out) and the Ruinart (which is a bit warm).

Was told food would take an hour and I would be welcome to walk to the Soho lounge and grab food there.

Sat down in the dining area, not possible to order within 10 minutes so I walked back to the bar area. Got helped by a nice lady who told me no more Krug.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Football Fan
6:35 pm

Out of Krug

No Jacquesson.

Not 14 champagnes but 6 (in theory).

The 4 Mots and the Krug (but out) and the Ruinart (which is a bit warm).

Was told food would take an hour and I would be welcome to walk to the Soho lounge and grab food there.

Sat down in the dining area, not possible to order within 10 minutes so I walked back to the bar area. Got helped by a nice lady who told me no more Krug.
this really sounds pathetic. Come on BA and AA, get your act together and pile pressure on the Sodexo people to stop this mess. Under-catering is not really the sort of thing that can just be dismissed as a teething problem.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 3, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Cringing a bit reading this. As soon as I saw that champagne list I had an eyebrow raised and looks like my instincts were correct. I posted this in the Soho thread but I'm putting it here again:

Sorry but I don't think this is good enough for two multibillion pound airlines who have run hundreds of lounges in cities and airports across the globe for many decades.

There is no possible excuse here for a soft launch on the brand new lounges and service for two airline industry giants on what is essentially the most prestigious route on the planet (not to mention the others of course..). Get the people in who have the experience to run it to tip top capability from day one. The ones who foresee the snags and logistical issues before they happen. Who see the kitchen and the bar and the service area and say: 'Ah. So let's avoid this..' or 'we can do this to ensure that..'

Unfortunately they are expensive. Pay for them. It is that simple.
Arsey00, LCSinTexas and nakedgrape like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Live reporting: They do have some Grand Sicle at the bar which is not on the menu. I guess it will have to do.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
That number of champagnes must be a pure opening gimmick. Once the lounge matures I bet there are four at most.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 5:00 pm

Also too warm though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.