Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I flew out on Friday evening with a (scheduled) 21:25 departure. I got to the airport at 20:40 and was through security and passport control in 5 mins. I did use fast track, but there didn't seem to be a queue on the non-priority side either.
From the anecdotes I’ve seen, late evening flyers don’t usually encounter the queues. Thanks for helping to confirm that!
CarefreeBA likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 5:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It appears today the queues just to get inside the terminal were over 4 hours!

Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Air France Platinum, and still missing Virgin America Elevate Gold
I am connecting in AMS. Coming in from Scotland, and out to Canada. Since I will be after security the whole time (my bags are checked all the way through) are there any delays, secondary checks, or other understaffed things I should worry about? Or will I not even know there is a problem since I am "after" all the mess?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mikeap
I am connecting in AMS. Coming in from Scotland, and out to Canada. Since I will be after security the whole time (my bags are checked all the way through) are there any delays, secondary checks, or other understaffed things I should worry about? Or will I not even know there is a problem since I am "after" all the mess?
You should be OK. You won't need to go through any more checks.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It appears today the queues just to get inside the terminal were over 4 hours!
Anecdotally, I heard yesterday that this is typical for entry to the KLM departure hall. For us, it was 40 minutes to get to a position where we could queue jump to fast track. I shan't be going anywhere near AMS anytime soon!
Tobias-UK and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
And yet there is apparently a rule that you should not arrive more than 4 hours before departure! Not that anyone is checking. I arrived at Schiphol around 15:30 for the 18:15 LCY departure and was through in around 10 minutes. Other people travelling back to London reported no queues, modest queues and horrendous ones. It seems to be very dependent on the time of departure, and yet they can't seem to manage at all at peak times.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Does anyone know if I can use the Schengen security check when flying to London, and then cross the border airside? I can't really see an issue with this approach, but I'm wondering if the (electronic gate) checkpoint before security will let me through.

Background to this question is that I'm travelling with friends who are flying Lufthansa in business class, and we would like to wait together (which will make any length of wait much more bearable!). Is my BA Gold status likely to give me access to the fasttrack Schengen security lane?

Thanks!
I am not sure whether the machines will reject your BP- probably not, but I can imagine that if you are using fast track you might need to show your boarding pass to a human, at which point it's likely to be pot luck (Schiphol staff generally unhelpful in my experience). However this is based on my experience of using Schiphol to fly to the UK. It's been a very long time (4 or 5 years) since I actually entered the non-Schengen part of Schiphol from Amsterdam, as opposed to transit, so I am not sure what the set up is these days. I certainly would not bank on this being an easy option. Plus you then have to go through passport control airside, which could also be problematic. Sounds to me like you'd be taking one for the team

You could ask in the KLM forum, they might know more.

In any event, good luck!
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I flew in and out of AMS last Tuesday.

On arrival we waited ten minutes before they would let us down to the passport checks - they let EU holders down, just not UK/US etc. No e-gates for non EU either. The AMS staff thought it was funny making the UK passport holders wait. I guess UK visitors are decent business for the country so they might want to reformat the split between EU and no EU desks.

On the way back no problems at all.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
15/6 into AMS ~3pm. Passport check took me about 30 mins but a colleague who arrived 10 mins after me had an hour plus wait and was held upstairs. Saw some British people try to use the egates which was amusing and resulted in the policeman giving them a Dutch telling off.

17/6 out of AMS ~1pm. using T2 security was 70 mins from joining queue to exiting passport control. Colleagues had a 2 hour queue around 4pm.

Will take the train next time.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by justin_krusty
15/6 into AMS ~3pm. Passport check took me about 30 mins but a colleague who arrived 10 mins after me had an hour plus wait and was held upstairs. Saw some British people try to use the egates which was amusing and resulted in the policeman giving them a Dutch telling off.
AMS was letting UK passports through the eGates a while back. There was even a Union Flag alongside the EU flag above the gates.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
AMS was letting UK passports through the eGates a while back. There was even a Union Flag alongside the EU flag above the gates.
for entry or exit passport checks?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
for entry or exit passport checks?
Good question... I can't recall. It was on the "Mess at AMS" thread and had a photo of the gates.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Good question... I can't recall. It was on the "Mess at AMS" thread and had a photo of the gates.
I know for exit they are used, with a UK flag added on the overhead sign, and there is someone stood after the e-passport gates at a podium so you can collect your souvenir exit stamp.

For entry I didn't think UK passport holders can use them, or at least that wasn't the case last month.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
When I entered AMS back in April I used the E-gates.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:10 am

No one was using the egates when I was there last week as they were broken, which apparently is a regular occurrence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.