FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2077371-state-schiphol-ba-lhr-queues-etc.html)

happyintheair Apr 28, 2022 5:26 am

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Hi all

Flying from Schiphol (my home airport) tomorrow for the first time in a while. Dutch TV news and forums are full of glum reports about terrible queues.

Has anyone travelled to London with BA (with fast track/ premium security/Privium) in the last week or so? Trying to work out a realistic time for arrival - (eg if the queues are for security intra-Schengen, non fast track, etc, or if it's a basket case completely, so need to allow the 5 hours that news reports are stating)

Will have baggage to check and a child in tow.

Regards

Happy in the air

alex67500 Apr 28, 2022 5:49 am

Sorry I can't bring any recent experience but I'd be interested in yours, I'm flying back on Monday.

The _Banking_Scot Apr 28, 2022 5:56 am

Hi

there is a thread on the klm forum called

Mess in Amsterdam today
the latest posts suggest that privium may not be fully functioning or difficult to access with the numbers of pax.

Situation made worse by a temp strike by klm staff at the weekend and runway maintenance.

Will post a link after lunch.

Link is
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-...dam-today.html

Regards

Tbs

stefan_nl Apr 28, 2022 6:16 am

Experience from yesterday morning (the 07:50 flight to LHR). BA check-in was ok (although we had an individual issue keeping us at the checking desk from 06:00 to 06:45). Security lines where awful (all the way back to the BA check-in desks!). In my security lane literally all bags went trough secundary screening and from what I could see it was the same at other lanes as well. Without Privium I wouldn't have made the flight (got at the D16 gate without any stops from check-in desk just as boarding started). The flight was delayed 30 mins to wait for other passengers.

ThatT1Feeling Apr 28, 2022 6:58 am

Didn't check a bag but I flew to LHR from AMS with BA mid afternoon on 15th April. Security fast track was a breeze. One in front of me. To be fair, the normal queue wasn't significant either.

Passports - with a UK passport leaving AMS, we were able to use the automated machines and there is a desk just after the machines where you can get your passport stamped if required.

Just bag check I can't help with

danmushman Apr 28, 2022 7:30 am

I hope this is in large part due to the national holiday they had this week. Am also flying back AMS-LHR on Monday. Is Privium the fast track security and do BA normally have access to this?

Upupintheair Apr 28, 2022 7:41 am

Flew out last Sunday evening AMS-LHR with BA. Security was very very busy, thankfully I have Privium which has been a blessing on many occasions.
Priority security was busier than usual, but doable. BA lounge still not open and Aspire and Privium lounge both close at 21.00. With the 21.20 flight very much delayed you are left with no options at all. Delayed departure and got into LHR around 23.00, so about 1,5 hours delay.
I would leave enough time at Schiphol, they are very much understaffed and combined with school holidays and runways under maintenance has led to massive delays and many people missing flights.

Upupintheair Apr 28, 2022 7:43 am

Originally Posted by danmushman (Post 34203626)
I hope this is in large part due to the national holiday they had this week. Am also flying back AMS-LHR on Monday. Is Privium the fast track security and do BA normally have access to this?

No, Privium is a separate program, uses iris scanning technology, you need to be screened and visit border control to get enrolled, but is very useful as it allows quick border passage by using the iris scans. Not sure it now has added value for a British passport holder since Brexit as you would still need additional checks.

DYKWIA Apr 28, 2022 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Upupintheair (Post 34203668)
No, Privium is a separate program, uses iris scanning technology, you need to be screened and visit border control to get enrolled, but is very useful as it allows quick border passage by using the iris scans. Not sure it now has added value for a British passport holder since Brexit as you would still need additional checks.

You can't apply for Privium as a UK passport holder since Brexit. If you already had Privium, you can continue to use it, but you still need to get your passport stamped once you've gone though the Privium gate.

I used to have Privium when I was a regular at AMS... it save me a lot of time (and a fortune in wine at the lounge) :)

danmushman Apr 28, 2022 8:18 am

Is there any fast track security at AMS for BA CE / status pax?

Fritz Apr 28, 2022 9:38 am

There is normal fast-rack as well as Privium but it isn't always that fast.

Passed through early this week and no issues when using Privium although some long lines for non-status / non-Privium pax. The actual iris scanning booths were not working but we were ushered to the front of the very long line at passport control. BA lounge indeed still closed. Privium airside working fine and very quiet at 2030h and the staff were (politely) clear that they would close on the dot of 21h.

CarefreeBA Apr 28, 2022 11:56 am

I’m flying tommorow too from AMS(-LHR-ORD) and therefore needed a doc check. I went to Schiphol just now and they checked me in/did the doc check/issued BP, in case anyone is in this situation and travelling HBO.

nldogbert Apr 28, 2022 12:37 pm

Although I am not travelling - just for those travelling with BA and have flights cancelled, possibly missing connection - just take note that Aviapartner is NOT the ticketing agent for BA at AMS anymore - so you might possibly be requested to call BA for alternative arrangements as there is basically no other 3rd party available for ticketing now at AMS.
I do not know under what circumstances Aviapartner will help in irrops situations - as they have even moved their counter from Hall 3 to Hall 1.

I found this out 2 weeks ago when I wanted to make some changes to my ticket.

Cheers!

fourstardust Apr 29, 2022 12:46 am

Am at Schiphol now, it’s getting busier. I have Privium so from checkin to passing passport check took 20 minutes - took a lot of sorry, excuse mes to get to the Privium gate

BOH Apr 29, 2022 1:35 am

Originally Posted by fourstardust (Post 34205933)
Am at Schiphol now, it’s getting busier. I have Privium so from checkin to passing passport check took 20 minutes - took a lot of sorry, excuse mes to get to the Privium gate

But what were the normal queues like at the exit Passport checks?