Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:28 am

How are the BA check-in counters in the morning (Monday)? Do they have a bag drop or is it just one line to check in? I am planning for a flight at 11:45 AM in July, connecting at LHR for a PE/WT+ flight to LAX. I will be taking the train from BE to AMS: my only two options are to arrive at 07:30 or 09:30. Four hours at AMS sounds painful, but missing my flight would be even more pain.

Normally, I would assume 2+ hours should be more than enough, but I am still traumatized from the meltdown in 2022. Reading recent comments about the e-gates being down is not giving me a lot of confidence about a tight connection (USA passport).
Old Jan 24, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by downinit
How are the BA check-in counters in the morning (Monday)? Do they have a bag drop or is it just one line to check in? I am planning for a flight at 11:45 AM in July, connecting at LHR for a PE/WT+ flight to LAX. I will be taking the train from BE to AMS: my only two options are to arrive at 07:30 or 09:30. Four hours at AMS sounds painful, but missing my flight would be even more pain.

Normally, I would assume 2+ hours should be more than enough, but I am still traumatized from the meltdown in 2022. Reading recent comments about the e-gates being down is not giving me a lot of confidence about a tight connection (USA passport).
Do you have Silver or Gold EC status and use the CE check-in and fast track security? If yes then 09.30 should be ok. Without status I would suggest arriving at 07.30 as the ET check-in and standard security lines can be slow.
downinit likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Do you have Silver or Gold EC status and use the CE check-in and fast track security? If yes then 09.30 should be ok. Without status I would suggest arriving at 07.30 as the ET check-in and standard security lines can be slow.
The recent posts in the KLM/AMS thread all suggest that there are no security queues in the morning, but that is always subject to change, especially in the summer. I'm only non-BA OW Ruby and WTP, so I am guessing that I will not be able to use a priority check-in lane counter at AMS. Guess it looks like I will not be getting any rest on Sunday night. They do have an IC train that arrives at 08:30, but I have a fear that one will be standing room only, as we are all leaving from the same music festival. Unfortunately, there are no seat reservations for IC trains; only for Eurostar.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:44 pm

I'm in and out of AMS frequently at all times of the day and all days of the week. I have analysed the results in detail and the conclusion is it's a lottery. Immigration in arrivals is the biggest gamble as it can be one official in a box and if you land behind a big plane or two the wait can be excruciating. On other occasions, they'll be four officials, no queue and you're through in a couple of minutes.

Re departures, having Fastrack is definitely a nice to have - and usually through to terminal in less than 15 minutes from joining the queue. The non-priority lanes can be a lot longer - perhaps 30 minutes to get to the scanners, but nothing like back in 2021 where you had to queue out of the terminal to join the queue for entry to the queue to security screening. Ah, them were the days!
downinit likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by downinit
The recent posts in the KLM/AMS thread all suggest that there are no security queues in the morning, but that is always subject to change, especially in the summer. I'm only non-BA OW Ruby and WTP, so I am guessing that I will not be able to use a priority check-in lane counter at AMS. Guess it looks like I will not be getting any rest on Sunday night. They do have an IC train that arrives at 08:30, but I have a fear that one will be standing room only, as we are all leaving from the same music festival. Unfortunately, there are no seat reservations for IC trains; only for Eurostar.
As you have OW Ruby status you can use the status/Club Europe check-in queue. In general I would tend to plan on arriving at the airport no more than 2 hours before departure as check-in often doesn't even open before that for outstations.
downinit likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by flarmip
As you have OW Ruby status you can use the status/Club Europe check-in queue. In general I would tend to plan on arriving at the airport no more than 2 hours before departure as check-in often doesn't even open before that for outstations.
You cannot use Fastrack with Ruby at AMS.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Phlyer2
You cannot use Fastrack with Ruby at AMS.
I am well aware of that; I was wondering about checking in. It appears that AMS now allows you to make an appointment for clearing security in advance, but it would be helpful to have a rough idea how long checkin will take before requesting a specific time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.