Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:41 pm

I can confirm the queues are back in Schipol. I waited 90 minutes to get through security. Pretty unpleasant. BA lounge still closed. Aspire Lounge not awful but not great. 90 minute delay on the BA2763 AMS-LGW operated by Iberia Express, much to crew disgust it seemed. I suppose this is my comeuppance, given what a great flight out I had.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by sdmr
I can confirm the queues are back in Schipol. I waited 90 minutes to get through security. Pretty unpleasant. BA lounge still closed. Aspire Lounge not awful but not great. 90 minute delay on the BA2763 AMS-LGW operated by Iberia Express, much to crew disgust it seemed. I suppose this is my comeuppance, given what a great flight out I had.
not a British Airways Lounge anymore, of course – and I am so sad to have to write that because I feel it was the best down-route lounge that they had. Spent many, many happy hour in there: I was always amazed as the regular staff got to know and remember the regular customers. Sadly missed.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Can silvers use the fast track security? Thanks!
From experience, most definitely yes!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:06 pm

I’m pretty sure there is no premium/fast-track security operating right now at Schipol. I may be wrong, but it certainly felt like everyone was being funnelled through one line. One veeeeeerrrry long line.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:24 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
A friend of my daughter had a flight out yesterday from AMS around lunchtime, she turned up 4 hours before departure time and still missed it due to the queues. Airline did not want to know, it would not give her a refund / alternative flight saying their flight was on-time and queues for security are down to the airport therefore not within their control.
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by BOH; Jun 25, 2022 at 1:01 am Reason: Typos / Grammar
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sdmr
I’m pretty sure there is no premium/fast-track security operating right now at Schipol. I may be wrong, but it certainly felt like everyone was being funnelled through one line. One veeeeeerrrry long line.
As soon as you get upstairs the queue splits between 'economy' to the left and 'economy + priority' to the right. To get to priority, you have to turn right and in a very un-British like fashion, jump that queue to get to the front where they will check your BP. IIRC, you then go up a further flight of stairs and the entrance to 'priority" is on the right where there is a further BP check.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
OP here - reporting back after a recent r/t and with my partner's experience too. It's nice to see this thread is still useful, and very much not nice to see it's still needed.

I have Privium, so my experience is very different to the majority at AMS for both arrivals and departures. My partner doesn't have it, and flew yesterday.

AMS-LON earlier in the week, evening flight with BA, HBO. Arrived 3 hours early, prepping for chaos. Some queues apparent but not the "snaking round the outside" there has been lately.

Priority line easy to get to up the stairs. Someone on the priority gate checking Privium cards against names manually (reportedly people have been "sharing" them to allow access to security - which doesn't check against name/ no eye-scanner) and also strictly enforcing premium access - eg no guests for FFP members.

This was causing a lot of unhappiness. Many red-faced KLM golds/ plats with partners/ kids in tow trying to bring them in to the priority line and being unhappy when declined. The security person had a matrix with acceptable cards and was following it (BA Bronze up allows access)
Reportedly, getting to this point (someone checks your access rights) can be tricky, but it was fine this week.

Then into security scanning (very easy with the excellent new scanners, which even allow 500ml liquids) and through to passports - small queue for Non EU/ no queue for Privium or EU.

"BA" (it's not operated by BA anymore, but instead it's prima vista group) Lounge still closed - but activity inside. It doesn't have the feel of being closed permanently, but equally doesn't seem to be opening any time soon.

Aspire lounge next to it still accepting BA silver and up, and allowing guests as per usual rules. I went to Privium.

Time taken - 30 mins from train to lounge.

Return LON-AMS

Flight delay due to slots at AMS - this is a slightly unreported factor atm - there are few runways in use and lots of go-slows and sickness, so it's a real lottery.
Queue to get to passport was enormous - stretching out to D Gates, and closed to new entries (being directed to one of the other passport blocks some way away) Privium shown rather optimistically to the marshall at the head of the queue, but then to my surprise, they opened a tensa barrier and I did a long walk with no-one in front of me, then downstairs and a massive queue but Privium worked and through. Time from landing to baggage claim (I had checked some oversized baggage which arrived very quickly, to my surprise) - 30 minutes.

My partner - flying with no status on KLM, non Schengen to Asia, last night - arrived >4 hours ahead, HBO, and almost missed it. Massive queues, security slow, only one passport booth - everything that could be slow, was. Time taken from train to gate - 4.5 hours.

HTH and hope it's not needed for much longer, but I expect Schiphol to be like this until Autumn at least.

My next few trips (eg booked since it started to meltdown) are either from RTM or are on the Eurostar...

Have a good weekend everyone.

Happyintheair

Last edited by happyintheair; Jun 25, 2022 at 2:45 am
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RTM - took around 90 seconds to clear security on Wednesday. If you are flying point to point LCY-RTM is the dream route as both airports and Cityflyer are all fit for purpose, unlike a number of other airports and airlines.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
As soon as you get upstairs the queue splits between 'economy' to the left and 'economy + priority' to the right. To get to priority, you have to turn right and in a very un-British like fashion, jump that queue to get to the front where they will check your BP. IIRC, you then go up a further flight of stairs and the entrance to 'priority" is on the right where there is a further BP check.
Wish I’d known this before yesterday afternoon 😂 Mind you, not sure I’d have been brave enough to jump that queue…
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:07 am
formerly JackDann

Doing AMS - BHD on Flybe in 2 weeks time, it’s a work event but I'm considering suggesting that they cancel it at the moment. 4 Hours + is a madness.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Entering Netherlands... took me about 45 minutes to reach the 1 immigration officer for "All passports" circa 1530.
Excited for tomorrow when I return to UK.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by happyintheair
OP here - reporting back after a recent r/t and with my partner's experience too. It's nice to see this thread is still useful, and very much not nice to see it's still needed.

I have Privium, so my experience is very different to the majority at AMS for both arrivals and departures. My partner doesn't have it, and flew yesterday.

AMS-LON earlier in the week, evening flight with BA, HBO. Arrived 3 hours early, prepping for chaos. Some queues apparent but not the "snaking round the outside" there has been lately.

Priority line easy to get to up the stairs. Someone on the priority gate checking Privium cards against names manually (reportedly people have been "sharing" them to allow access to security - which doesn't check against name/ no eye-scanner) and also strictly enforcing premium access - eg no guests for FFP members.

This was causing a lot of unhappiness. Many red-faced KLM golds/ plats with partners/ kids in tow trying to bring them in to the priority line and being unhappy when declined. The security person had a matrix with acceptable cards and was following it (BA Bronze up allows access)
Reportedly, getting to this point (someone checks your access rights) can be tricky, but it was fine this week.

Then into security scanning (very easy with the excellent new scanners, which even allow 500ml liquids) and through to passports - small queue for Non EU/ no queue for Privium or EU.

"BA" (it's not operated by BA anymore, but instead it's prima vista group) Lounge still closed - but activity inside. It doesn't have the feel of being closed permanently, but equally doesn't seem to be opening any time soon.

Aspire lounge next to it still accepting BA silver and up, and allowing guests as per usual rules. I went to Privium.

Time taken - 30 mins from train to lounge.

Return LON-AMS

Flight delay due to slots at AMS - this is a slightly unreported factor atm - there are few runways in use and lots of go-slows and sickness, so it's a real lottery.
Queue to get to passport was enormous - stretching out to D Gates, and closed to new entries (being directed to one of the other passport blocks some way away) Privium shown rather optimistically to the marshall at the head of the queue, but then to my surprise, they opened a tensa barrier and I did a long walk with no-one in front of me, then downstairs and a massive queue but Privium worked and through. Time from landing to baggage claim (I had checked some oversized baggage which arrived very quickly, to my surprise) - 30 minutes.

My partner - flying with no status on KLM, non Schengen to Asia, last night - arrived >4 hours ahead, HBO, and almost missed it. Massive queues, security slow, only one passport booth - everything that could be slow, was. Time taken from train to gate - 4.5 hours.

HTH and hope it's not needed for much longer, but I expect Schiphol to be like this until Autumn at least.

My next few trips (eg booked since it started to meltdown) are either from RTM or are on the Eurostar...

Have a good weekend everyone.

Happyintheair
OMG this is sounding awful. I flew at the start of May from LCY. Took about 10 mins at passport control inbound at around 7pm early in the week. Leaving 2 days later, got the airport at 2pm for a 5pm return, no queue at all!

Other half is going in a couple of weeks with a 3pm departure. Guess he'll need to head out there for 11am to be safe!

I'm transiting through in a few weeks too. Non-Shengen to Shengen and v.v. a couple of days later. Outbound is early in the morning. I booked a flight that gives me 2hr20m instead of the more convenient 50m transfer. Coming back I have 1 hr transfer but that is around 6pm and not so bothered as hopefully they will reroute me onto another LON flight, but going out if I miss it, I'd have to route to Paris for a connecting flight.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
It's about to get better apparently. The NL government want to cut AMS capacity by 20% to reduce noise pollution.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ise-pollution/
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by alex67500
It's about to get better apparently. The NL government want to cut AMS capacity by 20% to reduce noise pollution.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ise-pollution/
Hopefully they'll shut down that runway that's miles away from the airport then!
Not sure it's about to get better soon though - Nov 23 according to the article.
alex67500 and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:23 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Arrivals - Egates

Arrived yesterday with the late evening service, BA442 yesterday. Arrived about 30 mins later than scheduled. I had expected the situation to be not too bad, but there was still a rather significant crowd at the passport control area. Luckily the e-gates were open, and in front of me were a few stuborn British passport holders, which insisted to use the e-gates even though it was clear that those were only for the EU and Swiss citizens. Even though one of the tried and I was standing behind, stated clearly on the decline message that the gates were only for EU citizen passport holder, he still insisted to try again.
Another one (I believe in the same group) - mentioned quite confidently that his will work because he had the biometric sign on his passport (the new blue passport)

Why o why, this only slows down those eligible to use the gates and reduce the line.
Bags were another story - they were coming out from a belt on the other side at the Schengen arrivals, and the belt was already filled with uncollected bags just going in rounds. When the bags from the flight started coming out, again lots of ignorant pax standing around - because when the belt is full, bags will not drop down. I just took the action of removing bags from the belt to create space or it would just be another eternity of waiting. After I had mine, I left - not sure how long those who stood there doing nothing was going to realize that.

I have a morning flight upcoming Sat, hopefully things will be ok at departure.

Cheers!
Klrduks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.