Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by BOH
Am traveling to AMS tomorrow (1st Sept) on BA from Gatters on the 2762. I was looking at Flightradar just now for all flights from LGW and LHR into AMS over the last few days and all seem to have significant departure delays out of LON (BA/U2/KL) in the afternoons. The last few days seems to indicate that pretty much all flights are having at least 60-90 minutes delay from the sked departure time before becoming airborne. 15-20 mins is understandable for taxi time and queues for take-off but is there anything else going on?

Today's BA2752 at 16:00 is already showing a 75 minute delay for example and the 15:55 Easyjet one is showing just under 3 hours delay!!!

Does not seem to be any weather issues so wondered if something else is going on?
I was on the BA442 last night. Scheduled departure time 1800, actual take-off about 1855 apparently due to a medical issue on the previous flight.

But only about 20 late into Schiphol in the end with a favourable runway, no significant wait at passport control, about a 15 min wait for my luggage and I comfortably made a 2111 train to Centraal, so overall not the shambles I’d been dreading.
BOH likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Another update from the OP, passing through Schiphol today.
Tiny queue (10 people) for priority and path clear to get there, then almost no queue for passport exits, privium working and no queue.
Aspire lounge accepting BA Gold/ Silvers but turning away Priority Pass/ other loungecards.

Very friendly guy on the Aspire lounge desk told my companion that the old BA lounge and the existing non Schengen Aspire will be merged into a new One World/ BA/AA/JAL etc lounge. But, he added "This is the current plan, dependent on Schiphol"
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Arrived about 9 for the 11:40 BA. Half a dozen in the CE check in line. Total time through priority security and passport control was about a half hour. US passports also use the automatic scanners. Lounge 41 was almost full, but we found a few seats together quickly.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Brown
Currently sat in Aspire 41 awaiting BA443. Fast track security was similar to T5 - about 15 minutes. Pleasingly, passport control had no queue at all for either EU or non.
he Aspire lounge is rammed. It’s full of lovely staff working hard, but there doesn’t seem to be much oversight to ensure things like glasses and cutlery are there when needed.
If the space is knocked together with the old BA lounge [RIP] (and presumably the external toilets) then it could be a very nice spacious lounge with lovely views. The devil is in the details I think.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Having thought about the lounge comment (the guy was pretty confident about his intel) a little more - Most of the OW pax at AMS will be non-Schengen . Can't think of many Schengen-destination-from-AMS OW partners. Iberia - anyone else?

So if IB pax get sent to Aspire Schengen (which is much nicer than the non-Schengen Aspire, IMHO), leaving AA, JAL, BA, (etc) in the old-BA lounge/ old Aspire lounge. Maybe it's also a PP lounge for the remaining non OW, non Schengen pax.

Or it this all wish fulfilment? Did someone post on here that there were plans for this Before Covid?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by happyintheair
Having thought about the lounge comment (the guy was pretty confident about his intel) a little more - Most of the OW pax at AMS will be non-Schengen . Can't think of many Schengen-destination-from-AMS OW partners. Iberia - anyone else?
AY to HEL
happyintheair likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
Data point from this afternoon around 17h AMS - LON. Very long lines indeed for security. Economy looked terrible, premium line took about 30 minutes. Lots of stressed pax running for flights and having only allowed 60 minutes, I nearly missed mine.

AMS had been much improved so maybe this afternoon was an outlier. But FYI
HadesNL likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Silly question maybe: I am positioning from LCY>AMS tomorrow (land at 9.20AM) and then starting my actual trip from AMS (LHR>DFW>DEN) at 11.40AM. Separate bookings but all Oneworld. Not planning to check in a bag.

Do I need to fully exist and recheck in when I land or can I just follow transfer signs and go straight to gates from AMS>LHR flight? Would like to avoid the departures/check in madness that seems to be happening.

Thank you
Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit79
Silly question maybe: I am positioning from LCY>AMS tomorrow (land at 9.20AM) and then starting my actual trip from AMS (LHR>DFW>DEN) at 11.40AM. Separate bookings but all Oneworld. Not planning to check in a bag.

Do I need to fully exist and recheck in when I land or can I just follow transfer signs and go straight to gates from AMS>LHR flight? Would like to avoid the departures/check in madness that seems to be happening.

Thank you
You can just stay airside at AMS. Arriving and departing passengers in this case are not segregated so you can just get off and remain on the D pier or have a wander and come back later to the gate. You will avoid any immigration or security madness.

The only issue is you do need to have checked in and got a bp for your AMS-LHR flight though. Hopefully using verifly should allow for that.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
You can just stay airside at AMS. Arriving and departing passengers in this case are not segregated so you can just get off and remain on the D pier or have a wander and come back later to the gate. You will avoid any immigration or security madness.

The only issue is you do need to have checked in and got a bp for your AMS-LHR flight though. Hopefully using verifly should allow for that.

Thank you. Check in from AMS>LHR>DFW>DEN is currently the problem. I submitted all covid docs on BA system. They got confirmed as verified and received an email (and showing as such when I track the application). But the check in portal thinks otherwise. So I can't seem to check in for that trip. Really keen to avoid exiting. I've been told to try and get my AMS>LHR BP at LCY. But if they don't?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit79
Thank you. Check in from AMS>LHR>DFW>DEN is currently the problem. I submitted all covid docs on BA system. They got confirmed as verified and received an email (and showing as such when I track the application). But the check in portal thinks otherwise. So I can't seem to check in for that trip. Really keen to avoid exiting. I've been told to try and get my AMS>LHR BP at LCY. But if they don't?
Maybe try the staff at the gate in AMS?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Datapoint from this morning at 0800: took 45 minutes from train to departure lounge. Minimal queue at BA check-in and about 15 minutes queue for both fast-track security and passport E-gates.

The longest queue (20-25 mins) is for the Aspire lounge, back past the lifts. Probably 40-50 people. Staff patrolling the queue turning away anyone with PP etc. Inside, a few single seats free but probably 90% full.

LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Data point from this evening - took an hour for security and passport, but as bronze in Y I assumed I couldn't use premium security and found out I could after 40 minutes queuing once we got up the stairs.

​​​Was with my no status partner too which was another reason to join the regular queue, but after seeing the sign he encouraged me to jump forward. Will be interesting to see how much longer it is for him.

Was quite surprised Bronze/Ruby was allowed but seems it is. I'm not sure I'd rely on it and arrive too late though, for one thing the premium entrance downstairs isn't super obvious.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Live data point - long queues this morning for security starting outside. Joined queue at 0830, 1011 now and just got to the actual security line in the terminal which has a c60mins queue time. On the 1140, so fingers crossed!

BA check in also long queues, but zero queue for CE/Gold etc.

On asking been told fast track security closed due to lack of staff…

Last edited by ibbitsc; Sep 12, 2022 at 2:12 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ibbitsc
Live data point - long queues this morning for security starting outside. Joined queue at 0830, 1011 now and just got to the actual security line in the terminal which has a c60mins queue time. On the 1140, so fingers crossed!

BA check in also long queues, but zero queue for CE/Gold etc.

On asking been told fast track security closed due to lack of staff…
So 3 hrs from joining the queue to getting to the gate…. Thankfully just as BA431 pulled onto stand! Unfortunately, according to the crew 100 passengers didn’t get through in time!
Dorsetboy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.