Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 4:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are a set of bar charts on this page which gives a hint as to areas of trouble. I guess Monday's bars will get deleted shortly, but at the time that 2 FTers were having trouble, the bar for their time period was Angry Fuchsia rather than pink. It looks to me that today and tomorrow will be OK, but there may be trouble in the mill on Thursday through to and including Sunday this week.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/crow...at-departures/

Either way it seems they are on a 3 hour recommended arrival time here for BA departures:
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/holiday
Old May 3, 2022, 4:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
The Yotel can be very expensive.
I have noticed now

If you don’t mind roughing it then there’s a ‘quiet’ area opposite the lifts to the Aspire and old BA lounge which have chaise lounge style sleeping chairs with power sockets. Then you can go up to the Aspire lounge when it opens.
Thanks. I am not ruling it out yet. It would increase my count of airports I have stayed airside overnight to 3
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by danmushman
We got the late flight on Monday BA443, departing 2120.
Arrived at AMS about 3h before departure. There was one couple in front of us to check in at BA, just one check in was open at that time.
Security - there was no fast track open. Privum looked closed too. However it was very quiet, just walked straight to an open lane. No need to unpack fluids or laptops either because of the scanning technology they have.
Spent nearly 2h in the Lounge 41. Not great but comfortable enough and good view of part of the airport and runway. Enough beer, spirit and wine to keep you going.
Boarding was just a free for all and delayed take off by about 20 mins.
Landing at T5 - terminal very quiet. Baggage appearing on carousel as soon as we arrived, despite us being one of the first off the flight and straight through immigration. Seemed to have offloaded priority luggage first too!
I assume AMS is just much quieter in the evening?
Was on that flight too. Went through security in departures 3, it was very quiet, Privium was open by the way as well as a 'priority' lane but did not make much difference because it was so quiet. Through within 5 min, a drastic difference from just a few hours earlier. It usually is much quieter in the evening but the past couple of weeks have been much busier than I saw yesterday evening.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
How is AMS for transfer passengers at the moment? Some colleagues are flying U.K.-AMS-Germany on KLM with a very short connection.

Are all the bottlenecks at security for departing pax? Or will they have issues with the non Schengen to Schengen connection?

They’re flying from Scotland and there’s no direct flight (so clearly the right answer is to use BA with a connection at LHR!)
Old May 3, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Farringdon
How is AMS for transfer passengers at the moment? Some colleagues are flying U.K.-AMS-Germany on KLM with a very short connection.

Are all the bottlenecks at security for departing pax? Or will they have issues with the non Schengen to Schengen connection?

They’re flying from Scotland and there’s no direct flight (so clearly the right answer is to use BA with a connection at LHR!)
If doing UK-AMS-DE there won't be any security at AMS on arrival. They will have to go through immigration though which is at the separate transfer border check (this is completely separate from arrival immigration or the exit control just after security when departing) which is where they effectively enter Schengen, and this will be on their way to their departure gate. Hopefully the queues won't be long there.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Thanks Karfa!
Old May 4, 2022, 1:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Update Wednesday 4 May 2022 at 07.55

You access T3 departures:
- via the railwaystation / arrivals
- car drop off point.
No Q to get in (escalators / lifts are working)

BA check-in at T3 counters 17 were not busy.
Bit crowded reaching the turnstil for security.

However economy security Q snaked thrice on the mezzanine level
Priority security had 1 single Q and moved at pace.

The photos:

BA checkin at T3

Mezzanine: lines for economy security
The Qs on the lower part of the photo are:
- UA check in
- AA bag drop off (machines)

Mezzanine: line for priority security

Hope to give you all piece of mind

PS:
For those that need a quick one, at T3 departures car drop off, outside at door A (close to excellence parking) is a smoking area:

T3 departures smoking area: our last nicotine stop before tackling the security Qs

Last edited by HadesNL; May 4, 2022 at 1:57 am
Old May 4, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by HadesNL
You access T3 departures:
- via the railwaystation / arrivals
- car drop off point.
No Q to get in (escalators / lifts are working)

BA check-in at T3 counters 17 were not busy.
Bit crowded reaching the turnstil for security.

However economy security Q snaked thrice on the mezzanine level
Priority security had 1 single Q and moved at pace.

The photos:

BA checkin at T3

Mezzanine: lines for economy security
The Qs on the lower part of the photo are:
- UA check in
- AA bag drop off (machines)

Mezzanine: line for priority security

Hope to give you all piece of mind

PS:
For those that need a quick one, at T3 departures car drop off, outside at door A (close to excellence parking) is a smoking area:

T3 departures smoking area: our last nicotine stop before tackling the security Qs
Good god, that really is a drastic improvement on my experience the other day!
Old May 5, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Was able to get boarding passes today for my AM flight back to the U.S. tomorrow no problem (Verifly was not cooperating). At about 2pm today, I saw no queues before the initial set of boarding pass barriers at both Departures 3 and Departures 1 whatsoever.

Update: No lines anywhere in Departures 3 at circa 6:45am today (Friday). 30 minutes from stepping off the train to inside the Aspire Lounge, but I had BPs already and did not check bags. I did not use Priority Security and entered airside via the D gates entrance.

Last edited by progapanda; May 5, 2022 at 10:55 pm
Old May 9, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver
My experience from today. Queue at passport control on arrival was very long. May have got lucky but the person next to me suggested the T2 transfers to exit. Worked a treat as no queues and agent did not seem to mind even when I stated I was visiting Amsterdam.

On return, queues were huge for security. Fastrack was working but it took one hour to get there. That probably saved 45 minutes.

Currently having a well earned beer in the Aspire lounge which I much prefer to the BA lounge.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen678
My experience from today. Queue at passport control on arrival was very long. May have got lucky but the person next to me suggested the T2 transfers to exit. Worked a treat as no queues and agent did not seem to mind even when I stated I was visiting Amsterdam.

On return, queues were huge for security. Fastrack was working but it took one hour to get there. That probably saved 45 minutes.

Currently having a well earned beer in the Aspire lounge which I much prefer to the BA lounge.
Oh, so just so I understand did you go across to the Schengen area using the transfer immigration when you arrived and then exit that way?
Old May 9, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
AMS has never been anywhere near as efficient since they changed from at-gate to central security. Doesn't help that it's all body scanners which process passengers at about a fifth the speed.
Old May 9, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC: Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Oh, so just so I understand did you go across to the Schengen area using the transfer immigration when you arrived and then exit that way?
yes - a bit of walking involved to do it
KARFA likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 3:32 pm

yes - a bit of walking involved to do it
Many thanks
Old May 10, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club

I went to transfers to exit as well - the queues yesterday for arrivals (1) was spilling out at the top of the escalators. The transfer queue was also quite long, but e-Gates were open and no queues for the EU desk (for those who have EU passports/ID cards or residence permits).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.