Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Contactless works OK for me. I don't have an Apple device but Google Pay doesn't work - I think instead Barclaycard want you to use their (rubbishy) app instead, which isn't much good when you want to swap between cards!
Ah - do you have to use it chip-and-pin before you can do contactless - ISTR that being the case with other cards, or maybe I am dreaming that.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Ah - do you have to use it chip-and-pin before you can do contactless - ISTR that being the case with other cards, or maybe I am dreaming that.
Yep, definitely have to do that - as you say I think that's fairly standard for enabling contactless on most cards. Wish they would sort out the Google/Apple pay side of things though!
flyerkit likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Still waiting for my card, its been 8 days since I was approved. They even sent me the monthly statement with the first month's fee! I reached out via Twitter too, without success. Surely there's a SLA guarantee for customer response times?

Terrible way to kick things off in an account!
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by gforce
Still waiting for my card, its been 8 days since I was approved. They even sent me the monthly statement with the first month's fee! I reached out via Twitter too, without success. Surely there's a SLA guarantee for customer response times?

Terrible way to kick things off in an account!
I'm in the same position. Got the approval email then 2 days later the statement with the fee yet no sign of the bloody card yet.

I should know better. I did some work at Barclays a few years ago and quickly realised it was not somewhere I'd ever want to hold an account with.

The things we do for Avios....!!!
ttama likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:11 pm

I was able to link my card to Curve, but I'm unclear whether withdrawing cash using Curve would be treated as a cash transaction or not.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:34 am

Card Delays

Applied successfully towards the end of April. PIN arrived in about 5 days but still no card nearly two weeks later.

I decided to contact them but it was somewhat frustrating as you can’t use app messaging, because you need the card number to register, and it took 1h 20m before I finally spoke to someone. They couldn’t find the account and had to refer to the back office.

Anyway, apparently card production has been delayed (surprise) and they are re-issuing and couriering them out for those delayed (do I 100% believe that - errr not really but we’ll see). So the long and short they say is to hang on for another week.

Oddly the end of the card number produced in the ‘approval’ email is different to that in a subsequent ‘don’t forget to activate’. Maybe it has been reissued.

PS: If they change me the fee for the missing period they’ll have a ombudsman complaint for not treating their customer’s fairly. Can’t see for one minute that they would get away with it.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Everyone charged the first statement before even receiving the card has a flawless case for compo. It shouldn’t require going to the ombudsman IMO.

I applied on the 29th March and was told I would receive a decision within five working days - I have not received a single email, letter or phone call as of yet. This company really are an absolute joke. If I wasn’t planning to hit and quit this card, and return to the greener pastures of Amex and HSBC, I would be even more frustrated.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:47 am

For those that have been lucky enough to receive, how is this generally working with Curve now?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by JezzaG
Applied successfully towards the end of April. PIN arrived in about 5 days but still no card nearly two weeks later.

I decided to contact them but it was somewhat frustrating as you can’t use app messaging, because you need the card number to register, and it took 1h 20m before I finally spoke to someone. They couldn’t find the account and had to refer to the back office.

Anyway, apparently card production has been delayed (surprise) and they are re-issuing and couriering them out for those delayed (do I 100% believe that - errr not really but we’ll see). So the long and short they say is to hang on for another week.

Oddly the end of the card number produced in the ‘approval’ email is different to that in a subsequent ‘don’t forget to activate’. Maybe it has been reissued.

PS: If they change me the fee for the missing period they’ll have a ombudsman complaint for not treating their customer’s fairly. Can’t see for one minute that they would get away with it.
My cynicism was unfounded! Card just arrived in the post this morning which was 8 clear working days in the end. So 3 days delayed from the SLA which isn’t anything I’m too worried about.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
An Update for my saga, which continues to twist and turn in unexpected directions!

Recap:

1) Applied Friday 1st April, no immediate decision.
2) Monday email asking me to upload Payslips or Statements. Uploaded by return, advised another up to 5 days,
3) Wednesday another email reminder to upload proof. Heard this is not unusual so ignored it as already done,
4) Thursday a “ Know how to get off to a great start” email starting off “Hello CheshirePete, Your card will be with you soon, so while you wait….”
5) Friday 8th Apri “ Important: we can't use the income info you sent us. Unfortunately, we can’t see your name/address and income clearly on the documents you uploaded. Please can you check and try again? Important We need to verify your income so we can provide you with an affordable credit limit. If we can’t do this by 03 June 2022 then, unfortunately, we’ll be closing your account 17 days later.
6) Against my initial thoughts Which were to just adandon the process, I uploaded my clear electronic pdfs again, as I assume a computer is reading it was faulty.

Todays update:

7) Today datapoint An actual physical Barclaycard has just come through the door! Credit limit £200. Cash £50!

Last edited by cheshirepete; Apr 11, 2022 at 6:02 am
Old Apr 11, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
It's here! Applied on the 28th of March and appeared through the letterbox this morning.

As a Barclays banking customer I can't get it to appear in the Barclaycard app, instead it shows current account details, but I'm probably doing something wrong.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Also got my card in the post today, a week after being accepted. Not had any emails or PIN however.

The fancy marketing package it came in said it works with Apple Pay however it does not. Hope they add it, as I pay for everything on my phone these days.

The app experience is pretty poor compared to other banks. I’ll hit the bonus then figure out if it’s worth persevering to get the voucher.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by DocWatson
It's here! Applied on the 28th of March and appeared through the letterbox this morning.

As a Barclays banking customer I can't get it to appear in the Barclaycard app, instead it shows current account details, but I'm probably doing something wrong.
I registered for online card management, as prompted during the application. I activated the card on receipt and then noticed that it had appeared in my Barclays app - but it said the card needed activating! I went through the registration process on the barclaycard app and it now appears as an account in the Barclays app.

There is very little guidance about any of this on the website but I guess I don't actually need the Barclaycard app. We have just received a supplementary card and there is no guidance at all about whether the supp can access anything online.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Another update from me after the card arrived this morning, even though I’m still in the verified documents stage and the £200 limit is meant to be temporary. I was able to create a new account and activate the card, and also install the APP. Online still showed £200 limit. Was able to retrieve my PIN online, which questions why some people are receiving Pins via letter!?

So, with my apparent temporary account I changed my PIN at an ATM, and made my first transaction in Asda! Obviously it’s going to be awkward to achieve my spending goal for the Avios with a £200 limit if they don’t sort that out by June and close the account down!

Bizarre experience really!
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Have to say, had issue after issue, try to contact them to complain and resolve then and unable to do so (as haven't got over 40mins to be waiting on hold and they don't accept email..) - seriously thinking about ditching this card - potential to be a great product but frankly not worth the agro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.