Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Are these the rumoured new non-Amex Avios credit cards?

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/conten...ward-rules.pdf

Barclaycard Avios

Collect 1 Avios for every £1 you spend, with no monthly fee. You could also receive a welcome bonus and a cabin upgrade voucher.

Welcome bonus
If you’re new to Barclaycard, you’ll collect 5,000 Avios if you spend £1,000 in your first three months. If you already have a Barclaycard, log in to your app and check if you’re eligible to change to this card.

Rewards for spending
Spend £20,000 on the card within 12 months and you’ll receive a British Airways cabin upgrade voucher to use on an Avios Reward Flight booking. You’ll receive one cabin upgrade voucher once you’ve spent £20,000. We’ll send it to your British Airways Executive Club account within five working days.

Barclaycard Avios Plus

Collect 1.5 Avios for every £1 you spend on eligible purchases for a £20 monthly fee. You could also receive a welcome bonus and a cabin upgrade voucher.

Welcome bonus
If you’re new to Barclaycard, you’ll collect 25,000 Avios if you spend £3,000 in your first three months. If you already have a Barclaycard, log in to your app and check if you’re eligible to change to this card.

Rewards for spending
Spend £10,000 on the card within 12 months and you’ll receive a British Airways cabin upgrade voucher to use on an Avios Reward Flight booking. You’ll receive one cabin upgrade voucher once you’ve spent £10,000. We’ll send it to your British Airways Executive Club account within five working days.

Last edited by PeeTee; Feb 23, 2022 at 8:28 pm
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If you’re new to Barclaycard?? How incredibly annoying. I’ve literally just got a Barclaycard Rewards card…
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:58 am

It does say they will provide an ability to swap to this using the app but need to wait until it launches.

Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
It is quite common with Barclaycard to be able to do product swap (but for some customers it has been reported that this functionality may not be available). I have my oldest Credit Card account since 1999 with Barclaycard and I did few products swaps over time, ending up as a CashBack duo card (Amex/Visa), and later just Visa. However, I was told that Co-branded products could not be swapped to (Hilton Honours) so I ended up with a second Barclaycard product in order to get the Hilton Card, so I wonder if this will be considered a Co-branded card or simply a Barclaycard Rewards product that instead of Cash, gives you Avios. The free product could be a very interesting alternative to the HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard, my current alternative to Amex for Avios in the few places that do not accept Amex (minus the additional LoungeKey benefit). What would make this product even better, is if it were Forex Free (like the standard Rewards Card), albeit it would probably be a Visa and thus with worst exchange rates than the MasterCard alternatives of Chase UK Debit Card (plus 1% cashback for 1 year) and Santander Zero for example.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You can swap to it but you will forfeit the bonus. Best to cancel any existing Barclaycards you have now and start the 6 month clock.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
You can swap to it but you will forfeit the bonus. Best to cancel any existing Barclaycards you have now and start the 6 month clock.
Cheers for this Rob - will cancel mine today!
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Here's what they look like if you are into that and some FAQs

Ryanfozzie likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:24 am

Looks like a good option to switch to from a BA Amex (Blue), take the sign up bonus and start the clock on 24 months to be considered a new Amex customer again. Saying that as someone who doesn't spend enough to earn companion vouchers,and if I did spend bigger a cabin upgrade voucher may be more useful.
chris1922Mk2 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: AmEx Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Do we know when this will be launched?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:40 am

Looks good.
Hopefully this means @Raffles will stop deleting all comments referencing this product over on his site now.
tigertanaka likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by bristolian
Do we know when this will be launched?
And is it going to be for Barclays Premier customers only?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: AmEx Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wilko1
And is it going to be for Barclays Premier customers only?
Do you think they’d chqrge the premier customers even more for this card?

i simply think that i the future avios will devalue a lot and it will be even more annoying to find long haul availability
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by PeeTee
Here's what they look like if you are into that and some FAQs

the bit below the welcome bonus if you are already a customer seems to suggest that some existing customers may still qualify for the welcome bonus..
Ryanfozzie likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Only 1 upgrade voucher per £10k/£20k spend?

Don't think the OH would appreciate me going forward and leaving her in the cheap seats
BA or bust and Nickosx like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Delboy65
Only 1 upgrade voucher per £10k/£20k spend?

Don't think the OH would appreciate me going forward and leaving her in the cheap seats
i would bet this will works like the Barclays Premier Avios upgrade voucher, itself a copy of the old Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher : Upgrade both ways for one on a return ticket or Upgrade for 2 on a single leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.