Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
I've applied for the paid card for my wife today and her application was rejected as they "don't believe she can afford the extra credit". Her credit score is perfect, but her wage is "only £45k'. I put the nursery costs as childcare outgoings on the form, should I reapply for her but remove the childcare costs as everything is from a joint bank account.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I applied for Mrs FF99 earlier in the week. She was accepted but asked for proof of income. Tried to upload her single tax document and got 2 errors. It then apparently worked 3rd go, with a big green tick.

8 hours later an e-mail with the final 4 digits of a card number and a £200 credit limit, asking for proof of income. Link worked 1st time and proof of income uploaded with no problem.

48 hours later a further e-mail with a different final 4 digits of card number saying card on its way (not yet received though) and asking for proof of income. Link to upload took me to the right page, but the upload didn't work.

What a shambles !
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Quick reminder that the exclusive Head for Points sign-up offer on these two cards ends today, ie midnight on Monday (disclaimer as per FT rules: HfP is my site).

The free card gets you 10,000 Avios (up from 5,000 Avios) whilst the Avios Plus card comes with 30,000 Avios (up from 25,000 Avios).
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Quick reminder that the exclusive Head for Points sign-up offer on these two cards ends today, ie midnight on Monday (disclaimer as per FT rules: HfP is my site).

The free card gets you 10,000 Avios (up from 5,000 Avios) whilst the Avios Plus card comes with 30,000 Avios (up from 25,000 Avios).
Whilst I am a long time HFP supporter, I do question the wisdom of HFP pro-actively pushing this product at the moment, given the diabolical customer service many (myself included) are reporting. As you will doubtless be responsible for a lot of the new business they are receiving perhaps you could use your influence with them to get them to provide a dedicated CS number for problems with the application process for these new cards ?
Tim_T and Delboy65 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You can chase up applications via 0800 151 0900.

Overall, I agree, they are nowhere near as slick as Amex and - given the credit cards are their core business - I would have expected far better. (Someone I know applied for a Business Gold from Amex last Monday and received it on Tuesday.) This is especially true when, as in this case, the card is almost certainly a loss leader to persuade you to give other parts of your banking business to Barclays.
Monium likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
And their IT seems no better than BA's. I registered for an online account during the application process, as it suggested, but there was no indication of any interaction with my existing Barclays app.

Now that I have activated my card, I have tried to register with the Barclaycard app but it wants me to use my Barclays details. Re-checking the Barclays app, the credit card account has appeared as one of my accounts - but it says the card needs to be activated - which I have already done elsewhere.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:56 am

Does anyone have a recent data point in how long they are taking to send out the credit cards? i.e. when are people getting them after being accepted. I applied (using the Hfp offer, thank you for that Raffles ) and was accepted on Saturday and need to make a large purchase by Friday this week. Kind of hoping I will get it by then but probably being too hopeful...
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by roked
Does anyone have a recent data point in how long they are taking to send out the credit cards? i.e. when are people getting them after being accepted. I applied (using the Hfp offer, thank you for that Raffles ) and was accepted on Saturday and need to make a large purchase by Friday this week. Kind of hoping I will get it by then but probably being too hopeful...
Mrs FF99 applied and was accepted last Tuesday, but as yet no card 6 days on. I would not necessarily hold your breath ...
roked likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Application success email on 28 March - card arrived today. Made my first purchase!
roked likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Mrs FF99 applied and was accepted last Tuesday, but as yet no card 6 days on. I would not necessarily hold your breath ...
I applied last Monday… still nothing. Work is busy this week so I’ll have to see whether I get a chance to chase. Not a great introduction to their services so far though 😏
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Has anyone managed to get the spending bonus into their exec club account yet?

I've hit the target but have no idea how long to wait.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Aside from Apple Pay not being enabled yet (which I can get around by using Curve), I only seem to have one real problem remaining with this card now: Contactless never, ever works. I get asked to present the card for chip and pin authorisation every single time (even on very small amounts). Again, I can get around this by using Curve, but it's a bit annoying and I'm sure Barclays would rather I use the card directly to purchase things every once in a while (which I'm not going to be that enthusiastic about if I have to enter the PIN every single time...)
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, EK, EY, SQ
Originally Posted by Furton
I've applied for the paid card for my wife today and her application was rejected as they "don't believe she can afford the extra credit". Her credit score is perfect, but her wage is "only £45k'. I put the nursery costs as childcare outgoings on the form, should I reapply for her but remove the childcare costs as everything is from a joint bank account.
Credit scoring in the UK is crack.

I earn in excess of 8 zeros per annum, and somehow I don't pass their credit scoring system.

The largest limited I've ever had on a credit card was in the tens of thousands, I just run hundreds of thousands a month on my Amex Centurion.

I really do realise how bad it is to talk about how much I spend and earn, but in relation to credit cards, I have no choice but to vent.

It seems these consumer 'credit' is only for those on 'normal' salaries.

Not to forget that I bank with Barclays, so they know full well how much I can afford.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LouisW
Credit scoring in the UK is crack.

I earn in excess of 8 zeros per annum, and somehow I don't pass their credit scoring system.

The largest limited I've ever had on a credit card was in the tens of thousands, I just run hundreds of thousands a month on my Amex Centurion.

I really do realise how bad it is to talk about how much I spend and earn, but in relation to credit cards, I have no choice but to vent.

It seems these consumer 'credit' is only for those on 'normal' salaries.

Not to forget that I bank with Barclays, so they know full well how much I can afford.
Eight zeroes? So that's at least £100 million? (£100,000,000) or do you mean 8 figures?

Either way that's way too much to be concerned about an Avios credit card surely..
GlasgowBlue and argonath like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, EK, EY, SQ
Originally Posted by Schwann
Eight zeroes? So that's at least £100 million? (£100,000,000) or do you mean 8 figures?

Either way that's way too much to be concerned about an Avios credit card surely..
Well as I said it doesn’t bother me. AMEX are more than happy to have me spend what I need on a charge card, but it just goes to show that credit scoring doesn’t just eliminate those who earn to little but also those who earn ‘too much’.

Experian and the like really only work for the average joe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.