Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Why is it necessary to arrive and depart from Pier A at T3? What are easyJet doing with their domestic services? Presumably they’re arriving into Pier B at T1?

Having taken a look around the new T2, it’s a huge improvement and really feels like a totally different airport. I know there are no domestic arrivals facilities at T2 yet but it would be such a big improvement if arrangements could be made for BA’s departing passengers to use this terminal, as I believe jet2 do for their JER departures.

Last edited by Kestrel86; Aug 31, 2021 at 7:07 am
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KARFA
from memory there is a set of toilets on the ground floor corridor near when you enter in after coming down the stairs from the jetbridge from 142, and there is another set in the baggage hall so just as you go through the one way doors in to the hall they are on your immediate left.
IIRC the toilets are below Gate 143.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Kestrel86
Why is it necessary to arrive and depart from Pier A at T3? What are easyJet doing with their domestic services? Presumably they’re arriving into Pier B at T1?

Having taken a look around the new T2, it’s a huge improvement and really feels like a totally different airport. I know there are no domestic arrivals facilities at T2 yet but it would be such a big improvement if arrangements could be made for BA’s departing passengers to use this terminal, as I believe jet2 do for their JER departures.
EZY domestic arrivals tend to be bussed in my experience. Suspect the Jet2 thing is mostly because JER is their only pseudo-domestic service, but would be great to get into T2 not least for the lounges…
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Just read the wiki - FAST TRACK IS AVAILABLE SUBJECT TO BA RULES????? I went through all of that experience for nothing?????? I was declined access on a Club Europe ticket, with a BA OneWorld Emerald card attached to my itinerary.

So is Manchester Airport security deciding who goes through Fast Track ?.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by col747uk
Just read the wiki - FAST TRACK IS AVAILABLE SUBJECT TO BA RULES????? I went through all of that experience for nothing?????? I was declined access on a Club Europe ticket, with a BA OneWorld Emerald card attached to my itinerary.

So is Manchester Airport security deciding who goes through Fast Track ?.
I think think this is the second example of this we’ve seen recently. Fast Track IS available to all BA qualified passengers (CE, oneworld sapphire and emerald). It appears some T1 staff are not recognising oneworld designation or Club Europe. I pass through regularly and have not (yet) encountered rejection. If the gatekeeper tries to deny access point out that “Club Europe” is “Business Class” or remind them that sapphire and emerald permit access.

That said, at certain times access to Fast Track might unceremoniously dump you behind a stream of families with perambulators and little cherubs and those with reduced mobility requiring special assistance - this can drastically increase the time it takes to clear the line and, especially with infants in the line, cause many rejected bags with liquids in them meaning long waits for secondary screening.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
This all makes sense now. I did land at t3 and deal with the small town single belt bag reclaim before being thrust outside in the absence of noise and or automobiles.

a foreign woman asked which terminal we were in but given our disconnect of language i could not say as i didnt know given the piss poor signage or ways to reach transport or taxi. Set off under cover (literally that plastic walk) i found myself in t1 maybe? There was a magician in the corner but light up ahead. Somehow pulling myself out i saw a loud tall smuged beacon saying “TAXI” and i flung myself in … only for him to drive ten mins in the wrong direction before asking again for the proper post code.

tldr: airport sucks, terrible experience
ThatT1Feeling and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Yes, Fast Track is available and most of the time it is fine but always be on the lookout for a shorter and / or faster moving standard line and don't be concerned about hopping back into the normal line.

As Tobias-UK mentioned, MAN staff suffer from the usual airport staff myopia as to the purpose of a fast-track line and they also send down wheelchairs / buggies / strollers / perambulators as the main line is too tight to allow for the turning of wheeled mobility products.

This can easily add 20 minutes as evidenced by another passenger who arrived in the lounge some considerable time after me when he joined the fast track queue and his partner was saying that they couldn't swap queues as it was against the rules. I took one look and hopped over the barrier.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
A quick glance from the gentleman at my mobile boarding pass granted me access to the Fast Track lane this morning. At 7am it wasn't too busy in the normal queues but fast track does save a lot of walking through the snaking barriers! Why does the mobile boarding pass not have the "fast track" comment above the QR code though? Surely that would help make it clearer for the staff?
NicholasMAN likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Manchester continues to be a zoo. Flight delays 1hr 30 min each way . Excuse outbound was connecting passengers stuck in Flight connections and then we had to wait for the bags.Worse was the pilot anouncing it was the last Manchester ofd the day when there was another at 17.45. Then after bags loaded further delay while they sifted bags to sort out trim. Wnt into Gate 142 and deplaned from jetway . We had no checked bags. Today again 1 he 30 min delay and this time no crew to operate flight and they are scratching around for crew. Apparently to continue until next Thursday.

I am not using Manchester again until they sort out this mess. Why can they not come into TI and leave from T1?.

Security another issue - they pulled my bag and she searched through various things did not find anything - total waste of time.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 10:45 am

Manchester continues to be a zoo. Flight delays 1hr 30 min each way . Excuse outbound was connecting passengers stuck in Flight connections and then we had to wait for the bags.Worse was the pilot anouncing it was the last Manchester ofd the day when there was another at 17.45. Then after bags loaded further delay while they sifted bags to sort out trim. Wnt into Gate 142 and deplaned from jetway . We had no checked bags. Today again 1 he 30 min delay and this time no crew to operate flight and they are scratching around for crew. Apparently to continue until next Thursday.

I am not using Manchester again until they sort out this mess. Why can they not come into TI and leave from T1?.
I'm not sure what your gripe with MAN is in your opening paragraph. The issues you describe are clearly related to departure from LHR. How can MAN be blamed for what are issues at another airport.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:54 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It took 45 minutes to get through security at T1 at 5:30am today. Only 3 of the 13 security lanes open. I proactively took out anything electrical including wires to avoid a secondary.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
It took 45 minutes to get through security at T1 at 5:30am today. Only 3 of the 13 security lanes open. I proactively took out anything electrical including wires to avoid a secondary.
That doesn't usually stop them.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I don't think I'll be using Manchester airport again any time soon, given this mess and lack of a decent lounge (which I really looked forward to!).

For any further trips to that part of the world (to see family, etc), I'll be taking the train or driving...
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I had an extraordinary security situation at MAN T1 on Saturday morning.

I went straight through Fast Track, straight to a carousel, removed my laptop, shoes and belt and the trays came straight through. I was in and out of security in less than 5 minutes. I am still in shock.

I am however in total agreement with the comment earlier about the schedule being "flexible" to cope with delayed connecting passengers. Clearly there are connecting passengers and O&D passengers on the MAN route, and at the moment the connecting passengers appear to be in the majority.

However if, like me, you're simply using a scheduled service to get to and from a destination for work purposes, it's impossible to know when you'll actually arrive to start the working day at the client office - and that's not sustainable.
For a 35 min flight to be delayed for 90 mins is very much a material delay. If it's a 90 min delay to a 12 hour flight, it's a different proposition
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wythy
I'm not sure what your gripe with MAN is in your opening paragraph. The issues you describe are clearly related to departure from LHR. How can MAN be blamed for what are issues at another airport.
Yes - a very weird post. Half about LHR, the other half about BA lack of crew. Hardly a MAN issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.