Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Dec 27, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
Agreed. Iím a regular at MAN and never have my bag sent for search. For the simple reason that Iíve worked out exactly what does and does not trigger it, and for everything that does, I put it in a separate tray. I even get a smile from the agents when they realise I know when Iím doing and they donít have to bark at me any more. Very little sympathy with those who think they should be special.
I don't think anybody is claiming they should be special - but when people are running into issues and having to navigate invented on-the-day rules that they don't encounter at any other airport, the frustrations are quite understandable.

Why does MAN think it has to be special?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 5:26 pm

Agreed. Iím a regular at MAN and never have my bag sent for search. For the simple reason that Iíve worked out exactly what does and does not trigger it, and for everything that does, I put it in a separate tray. I even get a smile from the agents when they realise I know when Iím doing and they donít have to bark at me any more. Very little sympathy with those who think they should be special.
Yes we should all travel through an airport 10+ times so we can learn the idiosyncrasies of the security staff. Who needs a consistent experience at different airports.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Frequent fliers know it's MAN that's special, not the customer. Genuinely. I was told by one of these guys they did things " the Manchester way", which was better than DfT. They genuinely believe being random and unpredictable vs. the rest of the First World is coherent. That's not a barb, that's actually what they think.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by skipness1E
Frequent fliers know it's MAN that's special, not the customer. Genuinely. I was told by one of these guys they did things " the Manchester way", which was better than DfT. They genuinely believe being random and unpredictable vs. the rest of the First World is coherent. That's not a barb, that's actually what they think.
It wouldn't be so bad if they had the capacity and staffing to deal with it. Fact is, they don't. T1 is an abomination and the 'new' T2 isn't much better.

Random metal detector activations & body scanners that 'place' things about one's person on the stick figure fulfil the DfT requirements for unpredictability, as one experiences at every other UK airport.

MAN security staff just seem to get off on making things as humanly unpleasant as possible, and get angry when people don't comply with whatever random, unpublicised rule they've decided applies based on the relative humidity and wind direction at any given hour.

The place is beyond a joke. What other airport on page 1 has a dedicated thread full of people who've had poor experiences? That is not just coincidence.
icebird, MaxFlyer, VSLover and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Which code is that? Is it embedded somewhere?
Each tray is coded, so that they know which images captured to look at.

When a bag is sent for secondary inspection you see them scan the code with the hand held device
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:52 am

Perhaps o wise one, you might deign to pass this sacred knowledge onto those less fortunate than you for their edification?
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Last time I went through, I was shouted at for using ďtoo many traysĒ and unpacking my bag and told to condense it all back into 1 tray. Of course that 1 tray was then pulled for secondary.

Used to pre-covid T3, I always had a 3 tray system:

Tray 1 - jacket, wallet, keys, shoes, belt, phone, lip balm, handkerchief (clean). Thereby I had nothing on my person bar clothes for the mm wave scanner. Shoes on/off seem variable at the election of the employee, so rather than hold everything up, I found it easier to remove then at the beginning.

Tray 2 - BA regulation sized carry on.

Tray 3 - laptop, iPad, power bank, cables/chargers etc bag, liquids bag, toothbrush, shaver.

All spread out so nothing was on top of anything else and could be seen straight through without interference.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’m a regular at MAN and never have my bag sent for search. For the simple reason that I’ve worked out exactly what does and does not trigger it, and for everything that does, I put it in a separate tray. I even get a smile from the agents when they realise I know when I’m doing and they don’t have to bark at me any more. Very little sympathy with those who think they should be special.
I've flown through Manchester three times and have had my bag sent for secondary every time despite taking out everything (and more) that could possibly trigger a warning. In every case, the agents have found nothing in my bag that would have caused concern. Truly awful airport, and one that I now actively avoid.
CirrusDesAigles likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SamYeager
Perhaps o wise one, you might deign to pass this sacred knowledge onto those less fortunate than you for their edification?
well here's a googly: those tubes of fizzy vitamin C tablets.

Apparently they show up as potential "devices" - pipes packed with explosives. Something Manchester airport's security team are particularly sensitive about.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:56 am

Each tray has a bar code

T2... new security.. old trays!

Got told off for going under 3 Tensa barriers despite the fact not one other person in front of me!!
skipness1E likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by kdhurst380
It wouldn't be so bad if they had the capacity and staffing to deal with it. Fact is, they don't. T1 is an abomination and the 'new' T2 isn't much better.

Random metal detector activations & body scanners that 'place' things about one's person on the stick figure fulfil the DfT requirements for unpredictability, as one experiences at every other UK airport.

MAN security staff just seem to get off on making things as humanly unpleasant as possible, and get angry when people don't comply with whatever random, unpublicised rule they've decided applies based on the relative humidity and wind direction at any given hour.

The place is beyond a joke. What other airport on page 1 has a dedicated thread full of people who've had poor experiences? That is not just coincidence.
A perfect summary as to why we now get the train down to LHR or LGW from West Yorkshire and have a night in a hotel before our flight rather than bother with the MAN - LHR legs.

A complete kip of an airport on every level.

If flying with Easyjet, I'd rather pay double to fly from Liverpool too.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
A perfect summary as to why we now get the train down to LHR or LGW from West Yorkshire and have a night in a hotel before our flight rather than bother with the MAN - LHR legs.

A complete kip of an airport on every level.

If flying with Easyjet, I'd rather pay double to fly from Liverpool too.
Liverpool is a super little airport.
happeemonkee likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Liverpool is a super little airport.
Best in the country by a long way IMO.

It would be tremendous if BA added it in place of a Manchester rotation (obviously chance is less than zero).

Although the direct trains from Liverpool Parkway to Leeds etc getting canned a few years back did make Liverpool marginally less attractive.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
Best in the country by a long way IMO.

It would be tremendous if BA added it in place of a Manchester rotation (obviously chance is less than zero).

Although the direct trains from Liverpool Parkway to Leeds etc getting canned a few years back did make Liverpool marginally less attractive.
Even the Aspire lounge is great - staff actively offered me a taste of their various red wines to see which one I preferred.
happeemonkee likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Pre COVID I travelled thru Manchester weekly, and my small brown shoulder bag always got searched, but they never told me why, then one week one of them said my glasses case was made of a material which blocked the scanner seeing into it. It was quite a hard case actually, perhaps it was made from Lead and their scanner couldnít see thru it, like Superman has that problem also.

Anyway, I replaced it will a soft glasses case, and it never got shunted over for screening again !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.