Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by stevebintley
I’ve been getting emails today saying that flights will be arriving and departing from T1 rather than T3, scheduled in November.
Yep me too - but I think it's just more of the same - I have just checked and it said that these bookings originally said T3, so I guess they are just aligning with what happens in reality.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I’ve been getting emails today saying that flights will be arriving and departing from T1 rather than T3, scheduled in November.
Yes, my inbox was flooded a short while ago. This means we have to suffer T1 (and the T1-T3-T1 shuffle) until at least the end of March 2022.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, my inbox was flooded a short while ago. This means we have to suffer T1 (and the T1-T3-T1 shuffle) until at least the end of March 2022.
I've decided I quite like the walk to T3 as it's a very very quiet place to sit for a while.

So I now tend to go to the Escape lounge for coffee, then I leave a good 30 mins before I need to, and go and sit in the corridor where the turboprops come in and out and work from there. It's interesting, quiet and not oppressive like the lounge can be.

I then saunter to the gate maybe 20 mins before departure to watch which of the boarding processes the gate staff will choose to use on the day.

I guess we all make the best of the situation we are in and the peace and quiet works well for me. Strangely, only 3 pax in CE yesterday - makes a change from the 10 full rows.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I've decided I quite like the walk to T3 as it's a very very quiet place to sit for a while...
I don't mind the walk to T3 for boarding. What I do not appreciate is the long walk to the pick up point in the T1 car park on the return - especially in inclement weather.
ThatT1Feeling and PGberkshire like this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Well done BA

Originally Posted by Colesmore
The tales here prompted me to go back and submit a complaint for 1386 01/10. No aircraft at the gate (coming from the hangar) until approx 20 mins after STD. No food for the rear rows of CE and no drinks past row 2, of course we were in Row 3. We shall see what comes from it. Rest assured I won't be holding my breath, but will consider my LH group options more seriously.
Recieved a response from BA, and whilst not addressing the cause of the issues it contained apologies for not meeting standards and expectations in a couple of areas, and said feedback was passed on. Certainly not a cookie cutter response, and to top it off recieved a Ł50pp voucher for the inconvenience.

Overall a very satisfactory outcome. Sometimes it's nice to be heard, and the Ł50 says it was worth the time to let them know.

Obviously would be nice if issues never happened but I feel in an industry as dynamic as air travel, and at the back end of a pandemic this response is about as good as you can get. Well done BA, you're well and truly back in the good books 😉
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ever the innovators, today Manchester gifted us with boarding by seat row numbers from the back to the middle and then half way through that boarding groups for the remainder. They may aswell have just called everyone at once.
​​
ThatT1Feeling and KARFA like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by BJ787
Ever the innovators, today Manchester gifted us with boarding by seat row numbers from the back to the middle and then half way through that boarding groups for the remainder. They may aswell have just called everyone at once.
​​

I thought I had heard it all from Manchester but this is novel even for them 😁
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Boarding will be by surname, with those having a g in the first four letters going first, unless when assigning a number from 1 to 26 for letters in their middle name the sum is a prime number, except if you were born on a Tuesday and the moon was waxing

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 8, 2021 at 5:26 am
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:24 am

Urgh... have just plonked myself into the Aspire lounge at MAN after yet another security farce at T1 where the regular line was about 15 mins quicker than Fast Track.

Fast Track consisted of one carousel of 3 loading positions, because the first, curved carousel was broken. Every other carousel was open for the non fast-track lines as far as I could see.

The queue was stop and start and finally, once I got through the body scan, all was clear as to why.

The secondary belt was full of trays awaiting secondary checking. So when any more trays came through for secondary, they couldn't go anywhere - meaning that the whole carousel (and therefore the whole fast track lane) stopped. One staff member doing secondary scans. It took 10 minutes for my trays to appear through the scanner, during which time the fast track lane didn't move at all.

The staff were very good at trying to get people to bunch up closer to each other, just as the announcements were asking people to abide by social distancing.

At least the Aspire lounge is SO much better than Escape. Shame it closes at midday. Now off to find what delights boarding will hold....
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:06 am

Programs: A mere babe on: BAEC, AAdvantage, Virgin Flying Club. An adolescent with: Marriott Silver. Budget
I’m flying BA1371 MAN-LHR in a couple of weeks. I haven’t flown from MAN in some time. Is it correct that BA check in is at T1 then walk to T3 to board?
Also, I’m reading that security is taking considerably longer than normal, is this true for the early morning? 06:25 departure?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by watson10
I’m flying BA1371 MAN-LHR in a couple of weeks. I haven’t flown from MAN in some time. Is it correct that BA check in is at T1 then walk to T3 to board?
Also, I’m reading that security is taking considerably longer than normal, is this true for the early morning? 06:25 departure?
Yes that's still correct. The Wiki has good details of what's what but basically you check in at T1 (usually T1A) and go through T1A security. The walk to T3 is actually quite pleasant - all internal and most passengers won't even realise they've changed terminals.

If you have lounge access, either through BA status or class of service, or through Priority Pass / Dragon Pass etc, then you'll have a choice of up to 2 lounges at that time of day (Escape takes BA passengers through status or CE cabin) or both take PP / DP. Aspire is better if you can use it.

Security can be completely empty or very full and I haven't found a pattern yet. I have generally arrived 4.45am for the 6.25AM departure and haven't had a significant problem at that time of day. Also if things are getting tight, they do have queue walkers who pluck out passengers who are getting close to their departure time.
watson10, Tobias-UK and KARFA like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: A mere babe on: BAEC, AAdvantage, Virgin Flying Club. An adolescent with: Marriott Silver. Budget
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Yes that's still correct. The Wiki has good details of what's what but basically you check in at T1 (usually T1A) and go through T1A security. The walk to T3 is actually quite pleasant - all internal and most passengers won't even realise they've changed terminals.

If you have lounge access, either through BA status or class of service, or through Priority Pass / Dragon Pass etc, then you'll have a choice of up to 2 lounges at that time of day (Escape takes BA passengers through status or CE cabin) or both take PP / DP. Aspire is better if you can use it.

Security can be completely empty or very full and I haven't found a pattern yet. I have generally arrived 4.45am for the 6.25AM departure and haven't had a significant problem at that time of day. Also if things are getting tight, they do have queue walkers who pluck out passengers who are getting close to their departure time.
Good info. Thanks very much ThatT1Feeling
ThatT1Feeling and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 4:19 am

So, I'm in the midst of my first ever experience from Manchester.
I'm sorry I never got to use the BA lounge as the 'Escape lounge' is VERY underwhelming. Food layout feels like a cheap cruise/hotel buffet, with no covid protocols on food, help yourself, pastries open to the elements and breath of everyone, in stark contrast to the 'your menu' experience at LHR.
BUT there is an exclusive BA room/annex which is (currently) quiet and will be a reasonable place to work. This said, no toilets inside the lounge and you have to go out. Not yet been challenged on my way back in, but it is weird there is no in-lounge WC facilities.

I will be holding off eating until my flight (back) to LHR and the Flounge in T3.

For the first time ever I've flown domestic from LHR in order to avail myself of a MUCH cheaper onward fare MAN-LHR-AMM with RJ... Business Class which churns out 140+40 TPs each way!!!.
I also think this is my first non-BA ticket on BA metal (except for AA TATL JV).
Old Nov 14, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by GBOAC
BUT there is an exclusive BA room/annex which is (currently) quiet and will be a reasonable place to work.
I think I've only managed to find a seat available in there once, which as you say was nice for working, but so annoying there is hardly any electric sockets. I seem to remember having to unplug a big lamp to keep the laptop going. This is also a problem in the main area, and frequently see cables trailing across some walkways.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 5:09 am

I think I've only managed to find a seat available in there once, which as you say was nice for working, but so annoying there is hardly any electric sockets. I seem to remember having to unplug a big lamp to keep the laptop going. This is also a problem in the main area, and frequently see cables trailing across some walkways.
My other half was nagging me for months to replace my 4 year old laptop which, during the course of the pandemic, lost nearly all its battery reserves (although was being used as a desktop for nearly all the time). With a gentle return to travel I relented to her suggestion/instruction (having personally been more interested in spending Ł100 on a new battery), but am now VERY appreciative of 8-10 hours of battery life of a new machine.
Hadn't even noticed the lack of sockets until you mentioned it.
stevebintley likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.