Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:52 am

BA1389 delayed - Nov 15 - no gate staff

Not a good start this morning at Man. Currently standing at Gate143. Supposed to have left at 10:35. No communication from gate staff. A BA pilot has just checked with the staff and supposedly we’re waiting for gate staff. It’s the lack of communication of any kind that’s frustrating. And a person on the gate has just stated it’s not their job to check or communicate. 😐

On a positive note. Used VeriFLY for my onward US flight and checked in online with no issues. Walked through security in 5 minutes (fast track) with mobile boarding pass. Had my passport and VeriFLY checked at the gate as I boarded. Not that dissimilar to traveling before COVID.
LancashireFlyer likes this.

Last edited by goingforapee; Nov 15, 2021 at 5:20 am
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:06 pm

“Do you want to do something about it” - where best to have a fight at T3 MCR

Manchester Airport has its problems, I understand.

Winter schedule means I’ve had to start traveling BA through LHR, every week.

I was qeuing for the 6.15am this morning to LHR. All a bit chaotic. I’d joined the que around 5.20am. I was flying in Club. I prefer to que as it feels more polite. The gate lice always appear, regardless, and lurk near the entrance to the Gate. I’m Gold, I was traveling in Club.

The gate agent called boarding. At the same time pulled the Tensa barrier to prevent lice from entering directly to Gate 142, meaning they had to retreat and enter the que.

I moved forward, inside the Tensa, but there was one bloke trying to squeeze through the gap at the entrance to the gate, I said to him “I think the que is behind me” his response was “no it’s not, do you want to do something about it.

He was a Scouser I’m from Manchester. Adds a a bit of local richness to the situation.

I don’t think this blokes situation was helped by the way the BA staff board at MAN. But still, he must have been forty plus, how is his stock reply to ask me for a fight at 6am the morning. Did he comprehend the logistical difficulties of this reposte.

The agent pushed the bloke into the queue behind me. Which meant he was about 15 people behind on the Airbridge. He said directly in front of me in 2D. I tried to catch his eye to see if I could try and draw a little humor to the fracas but eye contact was avoided.

I hope this behavior is a one off otherwise we might need to use the baggage hall as a boxing ring.

Regards

Noel
MaxFlyer, Tobias-UK, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Welcome to FlyerTalk Nb11 and especially to the BA branch. What a splendidly entertaining first post, I think you’ll fit in nicely in these parts. Welcome 👍🏻
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
The old BA lounge could re-open as a boxing ring...
ENTP likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:13 pm

That would be ideal. Those with Status could sit in the Lounge peering through the glass dome at the events below. We’d have to move a few tables from BAR MCR, but would work.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Nb11

I was qeuing for the 6.15am this morning to LHR. All a bit chaotic. I’d joined the que around 5.20am. I was flying in Club. I prefer to que as it feels more polite. The gate lice always appear, regardless, and lurk near the entrance to the Gate. I’m Gold, I was traveling in Club.

The gate agent called boarding. At the same time pulled the Tensa barrier to prevent lice from entering directly to Gate 142, meaning they had to retreat and enter the que.

I moved forward, inside the Tensa, but there was one bloke trying to squeeze through the gap at the entrance to the gate, I said to him “I think the que is behind me” his response was “no it’s not, do you want to do something about it.

He was a Scouser I’m from Manchester. Adds a a bit of local richness to the situation.

I don’t think this blokes situation was helped by the way the BA staff board at MAN. But still, he must have been forty plus, how is his stock reply to ask me for a fight at 6am the morning. Did he comprehend the logistical difficulties of this reposte.

The agent pushed the bloke into the queue behind me. Which meant he was about 15 people behind on the Airbridge. He said directly in front of me in 2D. I tried to catch his eye to see if I could try and draw a little humor to the fracas but eye contact was avoided.

I hope this behavior is a one off otherwise we might need to use the baggage hall as a boxing ring.

Regards

Noel
Whilst the story might be mildly amusing, this does come across as very DYKWIA behaviour. If he was sat in 2D then he was Group 1 too and it sounds like you pushed in front of him assuming that he was ‘lice’ and gave him some mouth too.

I think many people might take exception to you in similar circumstances, particularly at 6am in the morning having just negotiated the most passenger unfriendly airport in the world.

Additionally, I’m not sure what all the haste is about to board first on short haul. There’s no PDB and you just get buffeted by all the ‘lice’ piling on after you. If you’re in 1C or 1D you’re getting smacked in the face by most people’s backpacks, anywhere else and you’re knees are getting crushed for an extra 15 mins. It’s only 1A or F where there’s some marginal benefit of getting sat down.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
MAN doesn't help itself with departures from Gate 142. There is a tensabarrier area but no indication of who should use it.

In the past, there were 2 clearly marked lines (priority 1-3 / non priority 4-5) which people joined with minimal fuss and which seemed to work pretty well.

Now there is a single tensabarrier area which some priority pax think is for them, but other priority pax think is the general queue (as it's where the general queue used to be), so they hover around the boarding doors for priority boarding.

Then sometimes MAN calls groups 1-3 together, other times they call Group 1 only first. (and they also call every other possible combo as well!)

I have unintentionally pushed in for boarding before - when the queue didn't move when priority boarding was called, so I moved forward, then other people in the queue also said they were Group 1, but behind other pax, at which point I apologised and moved aside.

If they had consistent approach to boarding and clear signage re who should stand where, then these kinds of misunderstandings / scuffles / fights wouldn't happen!
MaxFlyer, BJ787, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Good to see the PremiAir lounge website is up to date (it's currently closed)...

Due to the ongoing situation regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19), we’ve made the decision to temporarily close PremiAir. We apologise for any inconvenience caused for our guests - we will continue to monitor the situation closely and follow advice from the government. If you already have a booking with us between now and September, please be assured that you will be issued with a full refund shortly. For guests with bookings from October onward, we are currently planning to be open and able to welcome you to PremiAir, however, we will continue to follow government advice and be in touch with you should this change.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nb11

Regards

Noel
Fight Fight Fight
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Good to see the PremiAir lounge website is up to date (it's currently closed)...
That hasn’t been updated for about 14 months.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 2:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That hasn’t been updated for about 14 months.
Ha! So it's referring to October 2020?
Old Nov 17, 2021, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Ha! So it's referring to October 2020?
Indeed!

i passed through MAN this morning, and the security attitude was in great form. The behaviour of some of those ‘agents’ is absolutely deplorable.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Indeed!

i passed through MAN this morning, and the security attitude was in great form. The behaviour of some of those ‘agents’ is absolutely deplorable.
I have it on good authority that MAG are godawful as an employer. I am far from excusing it, but it probably goes some way towards explaining why there are so many staff that seem to have a permanent chip on their shoulder.

Rewind 12 or so years ago, MAN was actually an ok experience. Now, they give Gatwick under the then BAA ownership a very good run for their money, and that was quite the hellish experience before BAA were forced to sell and it got lots of money thrown at it.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
For the sake of balance, on BA1387 MAN-LHR this morning I had an uncommonly good experience:

- No queue at check-in, which had 4 desks open 2.5 hours before departure and plenty of staff present. Bag dropped within a minute or so at the Club Europe desk.

- No queue at all at Fasttrack security, where my Gold card was accepted as valid without question. Unbelievably, I experienced friendly and proactive security staff in the priority lane with no secondary screening.

- The Escape lounge was very quiet and pleasant, with a good selection of food and drink.

- Boarding was accomplished quickly and as efficiently as is possible at the poorly
designed Gate 142. People seemed to sit and wait for their group number to be called at the seating area by Costa/Boots rather than standing all the way down Pier A, which certainly helped.

It was almost like being at a normal airport. As a very regular traveller on this route I whinge and complain regularly about it, and I accept that I was clearly lucky with timings and perhaps the staff on duty today, but the experience today was by no means a bad one. Maybe it’s the time of year resulting in less people passing through the terminal. It almost felt as though an invisible station manager had control of the process - I have no idea if this is actually the case or not. The only thing detracting from the experience was G-MEDK being the aircraft, still it wouldn’t do to have nothing to complain about I suppose!

Last edited by Kestrel86; Nov 18, 2021 at 4:14 am
Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is this one of these times where you wake up and it was all a dream?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.