Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:15 am

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=8181 - rebook to QR is now extended to 30th April if anyone was struggling to get April flights rebooked
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sammyg901
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=8181 - rebook to QR is now extended to 30th April if anyone was struggling to get April flights rebooked
Thanks Sammy and yes, I spotted the new rules yesterday and managed to move our flights to QR. It was a struggle as on the return leg to LHR, BA Gold said it was sold out but I could see it was simply a case of most seats being blocked on Expert Flyer so after a few calls, we got our flights and all in J. The most annoying part of this process was they wouldn’t let us book either leg until the rules were extended to cover April as we were outbound March and return April on a 241 with Amex - booked separately on different locators but linked within the booking, the reason being the rules then only went to March 31. BA Gold said this was wrong and we should have been able to book the outbound on its own and the inbound when the rules were extended but does anyone have any experience of this so others can benefit? Meanwhile, I asked BA Gold if I could select my seats and they said yes but only on the QR site. I went there but there was zero facility to even change seats. I remembered I might be able to do it via RJ so I went there and it would let me select the few unblocked seats but nothing that was blocked which meant none of the centre Q-suites. Is this normal - a One World Emerald can’t access blocked seats as I know I can with Finnair but I’m a QR newbie so I just don’t know. Does anyone have experience of this please? If I call QR and ask nicely, will they move us to the centre suites that are blocked? Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Thanks Sammy and yes, I spotted the new rules yesterday and managed to move our flights to QR. It was a struggle as on the return leg to LHR, BA Gold said it was sold out but I could see it was simply a case of most seats being blocked on Expert Flyer so after a few calls, we got our flights and all in J. The most annoying part of this process was they wouldn’t let us book either leg until the rules were extended to cover April as we were outbound March and return April on a 241 with Amex - booked separately on different locators but linked within the booking, the reason being the rules then only went to March 31. BA Gold said this was wrong and we should have been able to book the outbound on its own and the inbound when the rules were extended but does anyone have any experience of this so others can benefit? Meanwhile, I asked BA Gold if I could select my seats and they said yes but only on the QR site. I went there but there was zero facility to even change seats. I remembered I might be able to do it via RJ so I went there and it would let me select the few unblocked seats but nothing that was blocked which meant none of the centre Q-suites. Is this normal - a One World Emerald can’t access blocked seats as I know I can with Finnair but I’m a QR newbie so I just don’t know. Does anyone have experience of this please? If I call QR and ask nicely, will they move us to the centre suites that are blocked? Many thanks in advance.
You could also try Malaysian Airlines for the seats otherwise you'll need to call. However if this is the A350-1000 only the window seats have air nozzles - I found the centre seats absolutely stiflingly hot (as the door impacts your air flow & QR keep their planes hot anyway) and would strongly recommend sticking to a window even with a partner! Not sure for other aircraft (& aircraft allocation is very fluid with QR anyway, never sure until you're sat in the seat on some routes!)

Re: rebooking - I believe the last agent you spoke with was correct - you should have been able to do the rebooking independently. Though by my reading Option 8 of the standard customer guidelines should also allow a QR rebooking anyway - https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...#cancellations
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Does anyone have experience of this please? If I call QR and ask nicely, will they move us to the centre suites that are blocked? Many thanks in advance.
Yes - shouldn't be an issue and done in seconds over the phone
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
You could also try Malaysian Airlines for the seats otherwise you'll need to call. However if this is the A350-1000 only the window seats have air nozzles - I found the centre seats absolutely stiflingly hot (as the door impacts your air flow & QR keep their planes hot anyway) and would strongly recommend sticking to a window even with a partner! Not sure for other aircraft (& aircraft allocation is very fluid with QR anyway, never sure until you're sat in the seat on some routes!)

Re: rebooking - I believe the last agent you spoke with was correct - you should have been able to do the rebooking independently. Though by my reading Option 8 of the standard customer guidelines should also allow a QR rebooking anyway - https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/standard-customer-guidelines#cancellations
Thought so on rebooking, thanks Sammy. I don’t think any of our sectors are the 350 but as you say, we won’t know until the day. Thanks for the Malaysia tip - I hadn’t thought of that

Originally Posted by 000
Yes - shouldn't be an issue and done in seconds over the phone
Thanks 000 - I’ll try that if Malaysia doesn’t work.

Of course, this all assumes Thailand will be open by the time we go although I’m not holding my breath!
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

So I tried Malaysia online for the seat selection but all were blocked. I called Qatar and after many failed attempts at getting through (I felt so at home - it was as if I was calling BA!), the line was terrible but the chap was really friendly and wanted to help. He was able to pop us into the centre Q-Suite on 2 of the flights so DOH-BKK and DOH-LHR (yay!) but there were tech issues on the other 2 flights and he said try again in a couple of days. So, I’m half way there and I suspect it’s an aircraft issue as Qatar’s site says BKK-DOH is a 330 (I think) and we’re in 2a/b but Expert Flyer says it’s a 777 and 2a is empty which is all jolly mysterious! Sounds like an aircraft switch hasn’t quite caught up with itself yet. LHR-DOH just won’t allow any selection - the centre Q-suites are occupied in the forward cabin but 9 and 11 are simply blocked in the rear cabin but we just can’t get into them. Very impressed that the bits that they were able to sort were so effortless though, albeit with a terrible phone line. Will try again in a few days but I’ll be upset if Thailand remains closed in March - this was my postponed birthday trip from last March!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
I still haven't asked to rebook my itinerary on QR yet. What are the chances that Thailand will reactivate test and go by the end of Feb?...

Hopefully that the Omicron wave peaks and falls again quite quickly as it appears to be doing but still...think I might be cutting it quite fine!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rhysflies
I still haven't asked to rebook my itinerary on QR yet. What are the chances that Thailand will reactivate test and go by the end of Feb?...

Hopefully that the Omicron wave peaks and falls again quite quickly as it appears to be doing but still...think I might be cutting it quite fine!
Hi Rhys, I thought I was cutting it fine with flights at the end of March! I don’t think anyone knows the answer to this question. If you’re keen to go, why not lock in the flights on QR anyway so you’re not disappointed if Test and Go is reactivated? Worst case scenario, you convert to FTV if you can’t go?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:01 pm

Successfully moved onto QR on the flights I wanted, coming back on 30/04 (they would not allow a return beyond 30/04)

Seat selection: QR website is not working, but Royal Jordanian works a treat.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Would love to get back to Bangkok, one of my favourite cities in the world, this year but I can't see it happening. This risk of regulations changing overnight is just too great.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:11 pm

Reuters is saying that Test and Go may be back in place from Feb 1, with a final decision being made on Thursday. Tempted to buy a ticket before any fare go up.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ba bob
Successfully moved onto QR on the flights I wanted, coming back on 30/04 (they would not allow a return beyond 30/04)

Seat selection: QR website is not working, but Royal Jordanian works a treat.
Hi BABob, glad you managed to get sorted. Were you able to select blocked/centre Q-Suite seats via RJ - we’re still struggling with 2 of the flights.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:00 am

Does anyone know what the situation with Test&Go is with transit?

I am hoping to rebook onto QR but flights are to BKK. I am actually hoping to spend the majority of time in Cambodia, via Thai Smile flight (not on same itinerary). Is there a way for me to stay airside or to go through Thai immigration and then go back through security?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rhysflies
Does anyone know what the situation with Test&Go is with transit?

I am hoping to rebook onto QR but flights are to BKK. I am actually hoping to spend the majority of time in Cambodia, via Thai Smile flight (not on same itinerary). Is there a way for me to stay airside or to go through Thai immigration and then go back through security?
If it's not one itinerary, they won't let you board without the full Test & Go package.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
If it's not one itinerary, they won't let you board without the full Test & Go package.
Thanks. I was worried that might be the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.