Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 1:53 am

HNL accommodation

Morning,

I took the jump and booked the HNL TP run for Jan 2023. Flying BUD - LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL - LAX - JFK - LHR - BUD

With the 6 night in the US fare rule, I decided to stop one night in NYC outbound and take an overnight flight LAX-NYC on the return.

I have 4 nights in HNL (11/1 - 15/1) and it’s still eye wateringly expensive for a single traveler: does anyone have any recommendations for good value accommodation in wakikki (or suggestions elsewhere), or thoughts on calling AA and trying to punctuate the flights more with a pit stop in LAX / JFK on way back.

It’s post Christmas/NYE so may be sales on the horizon but deals aren’t great atm.

Thanks as ever.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LondonGlobalist
Morning,

I took the jump and booked the HNL TP run for Jan 2023. Flying BUD - LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL - LAX - JFK - LHR - BUD

With the 6 night in the US fare rule, I decided to stop one night in NYC outbound and take an overnight flight LAX-NYC on the return.

I have 4 nights in HNL (11/1 - 15/1) and it’s still eye wateringly expensive for a single traveler: does anyone have any recommendations for good value accommodation in wakikki (or suggestions elsewhere), or thoughts on calling AA and trying to punctuate the flights more with a pit stop in LAX / JFK on way back.

It’s post Christmas/NYE so may be sales on the horizon but deals aren’t great atm.

Thanks as ever.
Like you I jumped when I saw this fare appear. Only after booking did I get the shock at accomodation prices over New Year. I think Waikiki will be expensive pretty much anytime. It really depends on what you are looking for. I have found beach bungalows on the North Shore around Haleiwa and Waimea that are more reasonable, but still expensive...this is peak big wave surf season. East coast is much more reasonable. I found a good array of oprtons on Vrbo. The romance of renting a camper van and chasing the best surf appealed, but my aging back decided this was a bad idea.
LondonGlobalist likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC : GGL; HHonors : Diamond
Morning,

does anyone have any recommendations for good value accommodation in wakikki (or suggestions elsewhere).
On my recent trip I stayed here: https://www.kaimana.com/, it's not cheap but it was massively cheaper than the other more central Waikiki hotels.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Morning,

Thanks as ever.
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Like you I jumped when I saw this fare appear. Only after booking did I get the shock at accomodation prices over New Year. I think Waikiki will be expensive pretty much anytime. It really depends on what you are looking for. I have found beach bungalows on the North Shore around Haleiwa and Waimea that are more reasonable, but still expensive...this is peak big wave surf season. East coast is much more reasonable. I found a good array of oprtons on Vrbo. The romance of renting a camper van and chasing the best surf appealed, but my aging back decided this was a bad idea.
Originally Posted by timcjp
On my recent trip I stayed here: https://www.kaimana.com/, it's not cheap but it was massively cheaper than the other more central Waikiki hotels.
Take a look into AirBnb. I did that a few years ago and it was great as I also got parking with the place. HNL is definitely not a cheap location, but with parts of the world shut down to leisure travel, I suspect lots of Americans will be flying there and driving up demand for accommodations!
Old May 16, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I have 4 nights in HNL (11/1 - 15/1) and it’s still eye wateringly expensive for a single traveler: does anyone have any recommendations for good value accommodation in wakikki (or suggestions elsewhere),
I booked Hotel Renew - https://www.hotelrenew.com/ - for a trip over Easter. It's a boutique hotel, no pool, but right on the beach, and plenty of beach gear (towels, snorkels, floats, chairs) to take to and from the beach which is about 30 seconds away. Thoroughly recommend it! Top tip though, I booked and it was $1,280 for six nights, then it went down to $1,000 and then in the Black Friday sales at the end of November I got my Easter break for $780 for the six nights. That was before travel really opened though, but if you do book something, I would highly recommend a refundable room and then check it from time to time as you might make a saving (keeping in mind Black Friday too!)
Old May 16, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat

We did a CDG-....-HNL run earlier this year, and likewise found Honolulu quite expensive. We ended up buying a return flight to Hilo on the Big Island, and spending the majority of our time there. Seemed to be quite a bit cheaper than the Kona side of the island, and was nearer Volcanos National Park which was a big plus. You'll want a car out there to get to the Volcanos National Park, and outside of Hilo you can get some very good deals on AirBnB etc on places that need a car well out of town, assuming you don't mind doing your own cooking
Old May 16, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
We did a CDG-....-HNL run earlier this year, and likewise found Honolulu quite expensive. We ended up buying a return flight to Hilo on the Big Island, and spending the majority of our time there. Seemed to be quite a bit cheaper than the Kona side of the island, and was nearer Volcanos National Park which was a big plus. You'll want a car out there to get to the Volcanos National Park, and outside of Hilo you can get some very good deals on AirBnB etc on places that need a car well out of town, assuming you don't mind doing your own cooking
I would argue that even Honolulu needs a car for convenience, but it's doable. I was a poor university graduate that spent a week in Honolulu more than a decade ago taking public transit exclusively. It's not convenient, but again, it's doable. Outside of Honolulu, a car is essential.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
I would argue that even Honolulu needs a car for convenience, but it's doable. I was a poor university graduate that spent a week in Honolulu more than a decade ago taking public transit exclusively. It's not convenient, but again, it's doable. Outside of Honolulu, a car is essential.
With a Holo card - https://www.holocard.net/ - which is like a slightly crap oyster card, we were fine with the bus everywhere around Honolulu. Google Maps was fairly accurate at directing us to the next bus when there were a few stops/routes nearby, but not perfect. Bus drivers were super friendly and nice to me, the British accent seemed to help! My sister-in-law (white, American and with the accent to match) was once told off for being too loud while us Brits received no comments. Only tip is that the Airport bus to Waikiki has no luggage space, so head to the very back to avoid annoying the locals who all seem to prefer the first two doors. Honolulu buses aren't quite as good as Birmingham, are a step down from Oxford, a world away from London, but still the best bus system by a long way that I've used in the USA!
Old May 16, 2022, 3:51 pm

Morning,

Thanks as ever.
if you’re a good sleeper and can stand noise, take a look at Waikiki place . Com. These are basic studios in a very central location and come with a parking spot.

How much was your fare if you don’t mind my asking?
Old May 17, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Have a look at whether hotel/accommodation prices on some of the other islands are any less eye watering (probably not, as we went to Maui earlier this year and wow, it hurt).
That's because having done trips to HNL (nowhere else on Oahu), Maui, Kauai and Big Island (Hawaii), HNL would be at the bottom of our list by quite some margin.
Inter-island flights are relatively cheap (especially if HBO) and frequent. You can also avoid crazy car hire fees because taxis/Uber will get you around smaller places with ease.
PS as this is a TP thread so chances are such an option won't get you anything extra.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:12 am

Morning,

Looking at a tier point run late this year or early next

BUD - LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL - LAX - JFK - LHR - BUD for £1350 with AA looks good, decent availability according to ITA

Just a sense check to see if there is any further way to optimise this or a specific way to force the JFK-LAX sector onto a 321T for the flat bed rather than recliner
Old May 17, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by AndyUK_101
Morning,

Looking at a tier point run late this year or early next

BUD - LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL - LAX - JFK - LHR - BUD for £1350 with AA looks good, decent availability according to ITA

Just a sense check to see if there is any further way to optimise this or a specific way to force the JFK-LAX sector onto a 321T for the flat bed rather than recliner
JFK-LAX is always with flatbed in business (denoted with “sharklets” in Matrix. And I've had good luck cash upgrading to F for between $250-350. I’m doing a similar trip but going BUD-LHR-PHL-PHX-HNL. Same TPs, only you get domestic first PHL-PHX but flatbed on a 787 on PHX-HNL morning flight. My personal call was that this is better than flatbed between JFK-LAX and recliner on LAX-HNL. This could go tits up if schedule changes work against me!
Old May 17, 2022, 3:28 am

JFK-LAX is always with flatbed in business (denoted with “sharklets” in Matrix. And I've had good luck cash upgrading to F for between $250-350. I’m doing a similar trip but going BUD-LHR-PHL-PHX-HNL. Same TPs, only you get domestic first PHL-PHX but flatbed on a 787 on PHX-HNL morning flight. My personal call was that this is better than flatbed between JFK-LAX and recliner on LAX-HNL. This could go tits up if schedule changes work against me!
Ahhh - flew AA on a JFK - LAX segment a while ago and it was a recliner in business, good to know it is a flat bed

Good call on the PHL-PHX segment, think i'd probably make the same choice

Thanks
RichieMc likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Richie, how far in advance did you get the J-F upgrade for that price? Thanks.
Old May 17, 2022, 4:30 am

Can you kindly share how you booked this please. Would love to jump on this to achieve GGL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.